FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Advice on A Vise?

<<

nine4t4

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:41 am

Advice on A Vise?

Thought I posted the query, ow hell.

Looking for a portable vise, since I tend to have extended downtime periods and pick locks instead of playing Angry Birds or building a selfie collection. It's a great conversation starter and lets me be another voice that we are more like puzzle addicts than wannabe criminals. And it's much cooler than a rubiks cube.

Learntolockpick has a great table clamp but it's kinda expensive at 70 bucks. ( I know the market is small and the price is because of small production runs). Sadly, it's perfect for throwing in the bag with some locks. The other options are table vises, Panavise, or the generic, vacuum or table clamp hobby vises. The weight and size don't lend themselves to throwing in a bag. Anyone use the Dremel table vise for lock picking? It doesn't look too heavy and can break down.

Just looking for suggestions, even 3d printing a clamp is an option. I have an idea for one that would use a quick grip for securing, but I doubt it would be as solid as a purchased one.

Thanks
JOB: (n.) a series of tasks that aren't enjoyable, but are done in return for money. see Prostitution
A LIVING: (n.) A means of enjoying ones existence that also provides financial compensation. see Freedom
<<

Malekal

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:47 am

Re: Advice on A Vise?

I got the 201 from Panavise, which you can get for very cheap. Works fine as an entry level vise.

Check for used parts/vise on kijiji/craig's list

Personally, had I know, I would've gone for something a little sturdier, like the 301 or the 350.

Doesn't need to be from panavise either, there are clones or similar vices. check for metal tightening mecanism rather than plastic as is the case for the 201 as it tend to want to bend when you tighten locks.

my 2 cents
Malekal: I guess I'll try... I thought you had to go light
xeo: you do whatever the lock wants
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:56 am

The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

pmaxey83

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:45 am

If you're on a super budget you can find something decent at Harbor Freight or Princess Auto.
jeffmoss26: pardon my ignorance to the real world, but what started all this mess in B'more
jeffmoss26: it's bad enough that city has the Ravens

(14:36:27) MBI: I was here for 2 seconds once.
(14:36:27) MBI: kthxbai
<<

RJ Robert James

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:27 am

<<

nine4t4

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:17 pm

XEO, your standing amonst the members is well earned. The ALu construction on that Stanley is worth the price over Harbour Freight.

RJ, since you use harbor freight, how is the stability? It looks like a heavy vise that doesn't really need the vacuum base for lock picking. Although, it looks less than EDC portable, i get the feeling that it's heavy enough for the light pressure we use.
JOB: (n.) a series of tasks that aren't enjoyable, but are done in return for money. see Prostitution
A LIVING: (n.) A means of enjoying ones existence that also provides financial compensation. see Freedom
<<

LocksportSouth

Post Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:25 pm

I love my Panavise, but they're a little pricey. Amazon currently has a decent Stanley one for about £16, I dunno what the options are in Canada though.

Edit: Just realised that Xeo's linked Stanley is the same one I found on Amazon UK, lol
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:22 pm

The Panavise is the best possible vise out there because of all the options and attachments there are for it. Should you require something specific down the road, you will not need to buy a new vise but rather an attachment which you can interchange when needed. The price for the vise and stand alone is only $30-35 which isnt bad at all. If you want the round attachments with pockets then its extra but it can easily be made out of wood.

The stanley Xeo link also looks very good but I dont like that it only attaches to the table. It can damage the table and when filing it being so close to the edge of a table/bench means most of the shavings will fall on the floor making a mess cause your feet will get that stuff all over the house. With Panavise I can file mid table so all of the shaving go easily into the trash once Im done. Again this is mainly if working at home because you wont really care about this if your working in a shop or your garage but something to keep in mind.
<<

Lauren

Post Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:25 pm

I would take a good old fashion cast iron vise any day over any fancy vice, or even a machinist's vise. You can pound, shape, crush, grind and a lot more. It depends really on what you plan to do. Picking locks or impression are two different operations. One is better served with a vise over the other. I can't ever remember having a vise while picking a lock in the field, unless the cylinder is in hand. Maybe you would be better served with many different vises, depending on the need. Just like having different screwdrivers for certain screws.
<<

datagram

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:51 pm

The best portable vise is a Manfrotto setup. Extremely lightweight, easy to disassemble, and VERY compact. Great for impressioning and picking alike. I've also had some issues with impressioning different format cylinders in standard vise, no issues with the Manfrotto. Manfrotto is an Italian camera & lighting supply company who just happens to make a light fixture clamp/vise that works great. All of their stuff is modular, so you'll need these pieces:

~$5 "Manfrotto 061RA Right Angle Joining Stud for Super Clamp"
~$5 "Manfrotto 061 Joining Stud for Super Clamps - Replaces 2913"
~$25 "Manfrotto 035 Super Clamp without Stud - Replaces 2915" ***YOU NEED TWO OF THESE***

You can choose between the 061 and 061RA, but I like having both because I'm not always smart enough to figure out how to orient everything properly with just one. All of these are available on Amazon, eBay, and many other sellers, so search around for the best prices.

datagram
<<

nine4t4

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:17 pm

Datagram I think you nailed it. I have to admit, growing up with a photographer dad camera equipment always seemed pricey, but they do nail it when you need secure for the weight. Our home's tripod was a Slik 15 lb tank (still in the family 40 years later). A beast, but stable enough for telephoto, or telescopes.

I am indebted to you. The Manfrotto clamp is where the aforementioned website has based their design. That is what I was looking for, I knew it wasn't a one-off, exclusive to picking. Still not cheap, but it's a great lead on a compact light design. From there I just need to configure a base.

Thanks
<<

LocksportSouth

Post Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:28 pm

I've got a couple of Manfrotto tripods but I never thought to check for lockpicking specific stuff. I -LOVE- my Manfrotto tripods as they're durable, quick to assemble and pretty light/compact so I can highly recommend the company although I haven't had any experience using these as a lockpicking aids. Thanks for the tip and recommendation!

Return to Home Brew