FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Slick Pick 1.0

<<

WestCoastPicks

Familiar Face

Post Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:55 pm

Slick Pick 1.0

So I''ve been playing around with handles. Rags, newspaper, patterned maple, plasti dip, heat shrink. And now 3d prints.

No clue what I was smoking when I thought this one up, but hey it works quite well.
I named the file slick pick, so I guess that's what I call them.

Vid of me using them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebZqXP3E2Ak

spv1.jpg

The last 2 are closed. The Peterson is there for scale.

Already have Ideas and am working on V2.

If anyone wants the Digits PM me your email address.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

spuds

Familiar Face

Post Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:06 pm

Re: Slick Pick 1.0

Nice great work
Even Duct tape can't fix stupid But it can muffle the sound ! ;-)
Jim
<<

Lauren

Post Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:21 pm

Great for storage. Kind of reminds me of those retractable, breakable blade, utility knives.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:10 pm

Ha! Those are fantastic!! I retractable pick... can't say as though I've seen that before.

Also REALLY liked your other handle experiments, particularly the use of a rag.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:42 am

Pretty neat idea. The closest I've seen to it, is a limited run of retractable pocket picks made by Southern Specialties. The handle was about the size of a full size pocketknife with several different pick blades that slide in and out of the end in a manner that looks similar to what you've made. For some reason the name "Slide-4" sticks in my head but I'm really not sure if that's what they called it or not. Or Slide-6 or 8, I forget how many picks are in it.

If memory serves they only made two or three dozen of them and I managed to get my hands on the last one they had in stock before they ran out, back around 2008. If I can find where I put it, I'll take some pictures. Since they never made a second run of the picks I don't think they were very popular. If I had to guess I'd say it's probably due to the bulk of the unit. It really wasn't sized or shaped to feel quite... right. Your individual picks on the other hand, look quite a bit sleeker and handier-sized to fit in a pick case. Nice work!
<<

davesnothere11

Familiar Face

Post Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:12 pm

Very cool design. I'm looking forward to V2.
(18:56:54) HAL 9000 Sez: It isn't so much bait as it is chum

My lock photography: https://flic.kr/s/aHskv3U6Tx
My picking videos:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr_YDBWHU0VpoIjmfocIbuw
<<

WestCoastPicks

Familiar Face

Post Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:42 pm

For those of you printing your own, these are the inserts. 70mm then 7 - 8 mm for the "Tang".

spip.jpg

. Pre bend the tang a tiny bit and force the insert into the slot, I use pliers.
. Once insert is in, I use a piece of wiper insert with a wedge shape to pry the bottom of the tang up to 90 degrees.
. I use Rochelle Bead metal spacers that are 5mm, you can use whatever you want for a button.
. I epoxy the button on to the tang to ensure it won't come off.
. I file the leftover tang flush to the metal disk (Rochelle metal spacer bead).
. I Use the g/f's nail polish to color code the buttons so you can see what it is when it's closed.

When making the tang, try as best you can to keep it center. Try to make it 1.5mm. It will still fit if it's not center, it's just harder to bend the tang up. It WILL NOT fit if the tang is over 1.8mm wide.

This is For V1 only, V2 will be a different size, but same technique.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to Home Brew