FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Another plasti dip job

<<

sparagmos

Post Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:19 pm

Another plasti dip job

Whats up,

I am still new to the game and just waned to share some experiences with the bunch and for those that may follow.

I purchased a set of picks that I wasn't crazy about so i asked in the KP chat (which is awesome btw) what I should do with them and I was advised to check out home brew... I got some great ideas, did a minimal amount of work to make the set 100% better, and thought i would share a few pictures.

The set (from website)

When I got the set I immediately had to try them out. They were a little difficult to work with in the keyhole and the handles were thin so i decided to sand them a little and plasti dip them.

Here is the set before any work

sanded handles before the dip

I picked up a can of plasti dip from Lowe's for 7 dollars. The instructions tell you to do some stuff, but like others that posted in home brew before, i just dunked the picks in there.

dipped and drying ( 1 of 3 dips)

and the final (needs more work) product

I will eventually get a dremel tool and do a little more work to the picks, but If anyone purchases or has purchased this pick set and is not satisfied with them I would strongly advise digging deeper in the home brew section and doing a few modifications yourself. If/when I do more to this set I will update this post
<<

Deadlock

Post Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:46 am

Re: Another plasti dip job

They will definitely be easier on your fingers now. How long did it take for the Plasti-Dip to dry? Any idea what the ambient temperature was?

Southern Specialties make some good picks. One of these days I'm going to buy one of those notched hooks with the fulcrum to see what it's like.

It's worthwhile polishing the business end of the picks, but of course taking the ferric oxide coating off does mean they will be liable to rust. Car wax on 'em maybe?
<<

sparagmos

Post Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:20 am

I dipped and hung them outside. It was around 85 and and it is always humid in South Carolina. The plasti dip instructions tell you to avoid high humidity (oops), wait 30 minutes between coats, and to wait at least 4 hours until use. I probably gave them an hour or so in between coats.

Is there anything special that I need to look for in the car wax or will any was do? Do you have a brand that you recommend?
<<

Deadlock

Post Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:30 am

Carnauba wax. Ha! I'm kidding, that's the most expensive. Use a paste wax rather than a liquid, but apart from that anything will do.
<<

JamesOzment1

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:14 am

good job! i am not new to plasti-dip ,i love the stuff . i dip ratchet handles ,hammer handles ,lock picks ,use it to repair a $80.00 pair of rubber boots, dipped a peterson gsp-hook 1,
have plasti-dipped pistol grips,knife handles,file handles,made a protective tip for my A1 security plug spinner spinnakur and many many more things.ive used them to make rubber grips on the palms of my kevlar gloves because the gloves are super slick and provide no grip.i also use it to coat the tips of paracord or shoestrings,and have made rubber bullets from plasti-dip . it's incredible stuff,i love it. anyways i noticed the small dimples in the coating . to reduce over thickening of the bottom of any dipped item and to reduce air pockets try dipping the item in very slowly as in 1 inch per 30 seconds ,then removing the item very slowly and lightly wiggle the item as you remove it. that will provide a more even coat . on lock pick handles i dip them 1 coat then hang it tip side up ,then once dry i dip it tip first into the dip and leave about an inch not dipped . hang it from the bottom of handle . once dry ,i then repeat that whole process again untill desired thickness,then i use a knife to score around the shank of the pick to remove rubber from the pick tip. this will reduce the teardrop effect where the bottom is thicker than the top.

one more note : the rubber dries pretty fast ,but if you second coat it too soon it will not coat good and the bottom layer will not cure properly.
<<

Shearlock

Familiar Face

Post Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:15 pm

I absolutely adore plasti-dip handles. I've tried many home brew handles and plasti-dip is easily my favorite. However, I actually liked the texture of the air bubbles. I now recreate the mistake intentionally just to get the handles to have that random pockmarked feel. I like it that way, oddly.

Great work by the way.

-Shearlock
xeo: One day you're gonna come home and find your wife laying in bed naked with a medeco biaxial locking her chastity belt...

Return to Home Brew