FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

What file to get?

<<

streak

Post Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:05 pm

What file to get?

I have used the harbor freight file 7/32" chain saw file so many times to make Bogotas and Sabanas that it's now blunt. Any suggestions for a better make that will last longer?
I have seen Oregon 2 packs for about $6 and a 6 pack of Pferd for $16.

Thanks
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:13 pm

Re: What file to get?

http://toolsforlocksmiths.com/grobet.php

Swiss #4 6" Pippin is what I hear most recommended. If you take care of it, it will last you a lifetime.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

escher7

Post Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:00 am

Riyame wrote:http://toolsforlocksmiths.com/grobet.php

Swiss #4 6" Pippin is what I hear most recommended. If you take care of it, it will last you a lifetime.

The Pippin is the go-to for impressioning, and it is very expensive. But for making picks etc., a good make like Nicholson is likely better than the Harbour Freight (Chinese?) file you are using. Chain saw files are the ideal files for Bogota and there are endless choices for other work, depending on what you are doing. Google something like "metal file types" and you will find info on different file cuts, techniques like draw filing and so on.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:04 am

I dont have a pippin but I do have a round 4 cut file that I use for impressioning and I would never ever use it to make picks lol. Its all quality and I would hate to mess it up. Escher is right Nicholson is also a great brand and sold in Home Depot. If you are looking for something above that check out this site: http://www.artcotools.com/grobet-files-rifflers/

In my history, I purchased a 6 file set from my local store for $6 and I have used it for months and months. Some of the files because to dull up so I knew it was time for a new set and purchased a 12 piece with case and handle from Amazon as recommended by Bill for $20-25, here is the link http://www.amazon.com/Swiss-Pattern-Ned ... l+file+set . Let me tell you the 12 piece set is all junk and out of the 12 files only 2-3 are usable. They also sell this set at Home Depot. I still continue to use my original set but now it has a handle and a nice case lol. In the near future I will surely by a few good files in the shapes I use the most but for now my set will do. I also recently stopped by a flea market and picked up a 4 file set for only $3. By eye and feel they seems very well made and work well too but we will see if they stand the test of time.
<<

streak

Post Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:41 pm

Those pippin's really are expensive but I am sure are pure quality.
I see that Home Depot is advertising the 8 in. x 7/32 in. Knurl Cut Round Chainsaw File by Nicholson for $5 store pick. Looks like that may better than ones I mentioned.

Many thanks for the input.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:51 pm

It all comes down to you get what you pay for and what do you need the file for. The Nicholson do seem like good quality files plus the price is great but if you want something top of the line quality then check the links provided above. I think the pippin are over priced and you can accomplish the same with much cheaper files but I would never suggest convincing a pippin file owner to switch. In the key impressioning world, its a near 50/50 split of those who swear by their pippin and those who say its a waste of money because they have a round file. The results produced are the same its what ever floats our boat. I think for pick making any file will do just fine. If I had an unlimited budget then I would probably go with something with a fine cut to because its less to smooth out later.
<<

streak

Post Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:57 pm

I just bought what are supposed to be some high quality German ones.
It appear that the Nicholsons now made in Mexico aren't what they used to be.

I'm going to end up with too many, had to buy a dozen!
However if they work well I'll get back on here to see if I can do some trades with the extras.
<<

escher7

Post Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:53 pm

streak wrote:I just bought what are supposed to be some high quality German ones.
It appear that the Nicholsons now made in Mexico aren't what they used to be.

I'm going to end up with too many, had to buy a dozen!
However if they work well I'll get back on here to see if I can do some trades with the extras.

It appears you are correct about the quality of the Mexican Nicholsons:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread. ... d-are-soft

Too bad. Oh well, there are many Swiss and German makes out there that are very high quality. Unfortunately they are also expensive.

Here is an excellent site on finding U.S. made files and how to locate them on eBay etc. Also there is a neat link headed: "Home Depot and Nicholson Blow It Again" about the move to Mexico.

http://americanmadefiles.blogspot.ca/
<<

streak

Post Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:07 pm

Thanks. That a very interesting website.
I bought Pferd files which are very highly rated. I also bought two's of Husqvarna which are also of very high quality.
I'll report back here once I have them in hand.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:27 pm

I always look for used USA made files when I go to garage sales. There is a company that will sharpen them called Boggs Tooll. I think they also do key machine cutters.
http://www.boggstool.com/
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:13 pm

Please do share how the files end up and I am looking forward to a possible trade/buy if they are good. Can you also post a link to where you purchased the files? thanks

Jeff you are right, this place also sharpens key machine cutters.
<<

streak

Post Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:07 am

The files just arrived.
Exceptional quality.
I held a piece of bristle in my hand and gave it a couple of strokes with the file and it cut to the right depth after only a few strokes.
I haven't tried it in the vice yet but I expect it to work extremely well, I'll be churning out Bogotas and Sabanas very soon!

A friend of mine in the carpentry business ordered them directly from his supplier for me.

Return to Home Brew