FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Home Brew Pinning Tray

<<

HT4

Post Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:04 pm

Home Brew Pinning Tray

I decided that I needed a pinning tray, but didn't feel like paying $30+ for a wood block... So I decided to make one. I snagged a uselessly small (5"x7") cutting board from the kitchen, bolted it to my Harbor Freight mini mill, and went to work. All told, it took about a half hour (including convincing my wife that she didn't need the cutting board). Pictures below.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my "LockPickingLawyer" YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9K6rby98W8JigLoZOh6FQ/videos
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:23 pm

Re: Home Brew Pinning Tray

Very nice work. Bet the hardest part was convincing your wife that a (what looks like new) cutting board was not needed. :)

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

HT4

Post Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:36 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:Very nice work. Bet the hardest part was convincing your wife that a (what looks like new) cutting board was not needed. :)

Gordon

It was new... Originally part of a set. We use the two larger ones, but never used this one. It's better off with me. :cool:
<<

l0ckcr4ck3r

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:37 pm

Nice Job with the Pinning Tray!

Not sure I've ever seen a DRO on one of them before... neat little mill.
<<

HT4

Post Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:13 pm

l0ckcr4ck3r wrote:Nice Job with the Pinning Tray!

Thanks!

I'm pretty proud of the DRO setup. I did the conversion for about $250... it beams coordinates to my tablet via Bluetooth. If you have any interest, I did a write up on a shooting forum that I frequent (my other hobby is gun building). http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=143512
<<

mickysickz

Post Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:10 pm

Love the pinning tray and the dro. Ever considered a cnc conversion? How do you like that mill im considering that one or one of grizzly's cheaper models.
<<

Neilau

Post Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:13 pm

Welcome and a VERY nice job.

We also have a shooting thread here (as you probably already know) "Full Metal Jacket Required".

I, and I'm sure many other members would love to see some of your firearm work.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

l0ckcr4ck3r

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:53 pm

HT4 wrote:
l0ckcr4ck3r wrote:Nice Job with the Pinning Tray!

Thanks!

I'm pretty proud of the DRO setup. I did the conversion for about $250... it beams coordinates to my tablet via Bluetooth. If you have any interest, I did a write up on a shooting forum that I frequent (my other hobby is gun building). http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=143512

Yeah, i do have an interest :) Think i'll sign up to that forum tomorrow just to take a look!
<<

HT4

Post Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:42 am

mickysickz wrote:Love the pinning tray and the dro. Ever considered a cnc conversion? How do you like that mill im considering that one or one of grizzly's cheaper models.

Thanks.

Never considered CNC. I don't use it enough to to justify the cost... Plus, it is rare that I make more than one of the same part, which takes away much of the utility of a CNC setup.

If you are in the market for a hobby mill, get the best one you can afford. I'm actually disappointed with mine in two respects: rigidity and power. In retrospect, I wish I had gone with this machine... https://littlemachineshop.com/products/ ... 1387807683 With all the mods I made to mine to remedy the little problems it has, the cost would have been about the same, and I would have ended up with a stiffer and more powerful mill. Good luck with your purchase.
<<

HT4

Post Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:47 am

Neilau wrote:Welcome and a VERY nice job.

We also have a shooting thread here (as you probably already know) "Full Metal Jacket Required".

I, and I'm sure many other members would love to see some of your firearm work.

Thanks. Regarding the gun thread, I actually did not notice that... Maybe I'll post a few of the more interesting pieces in my collection... Though I'm pretty sure most of our members hailing from outside the USA (and maybe some members living here) will think I'm nuts. :armed:
<<

Neilau

Post Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:55 pm

HT4 wrote:
Thanks. Regarding the gun thread, I actually did not notice that... Maybe I'll post a few of the more interesting pieces in my collection... Though I'm pretty sure most of our members hailing from outside the USA (and maybe some members living here) will think I'm nuts. :armed:

Please,please.

People already think that lock pickers are nuts and here you are among friends. :D

Seriously, I and I'm sure many others would love to see some (all??) your collection.

PS there is also a thread for knives here - we cover the whole spectrum of "nuts".
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

HT4

Post Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:30 pm

Neilau wrote:Please,please.

People already think that lock pickers are nuts and here you are among friends. :D

Seriously, I and I'm sure many others would love to see some (all??) your collection.

PS there is also a thread for knives here - we cover the whole spectrum of "nuts".

Hmmm. A gun thread and a knife thread? Where would I post this little treat?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:05 pm

HT4 wrote:Hmmm. A gun thread and a knife thread? Where would I post this little treat?

Cool, that'd be at home in either the guns or knives subforums.
I've wanted one of those for years but never got serious enough to look where to get one.
I'm guessing high three figure or low four figure price tag for the gun/knife combo?
At least the $5 AOW transfer tax isn't prohibitive.
<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:51 pm

HT4 wrote:
mickysickz wrote:Love the pinning tray and the dro. Ever considered a cnc conversion? How do you like that mill im considering that one or one of grizzly's cheaper models.

Thanks.

Never considered CNC. I don't use it enough to to justify the cost... Plus, it is rare that I make more than one of the same part, which takes away much of the utility of a CNC setup.

If you are in the market for a hobby mill, get the best one you can afford. I'm actually disappointed with mine in two respects: rigidity and power. In retrospect, I wish I had gone with this machine... https://littlemachineshop.com/products/ ... 1387807683 With all the mods I made to mine to remedy the little problems it has, the cost would have been about the same, and I would have ended up with a stiffer and more powerful mill. Good luck with your purchase.

Gotta agree with this. I 'upgraded' the mill I was going to purchase three times! Trouble is, I now rarely use it anyway! I mean, I use the setup but I have a secondary high speed spindle bolted to the head and I use that almost exclusively now!

About your DRO setup, I am looking to upgrade mine. What are the encoders you are using? By that I mean are they glass or magnetic? I am looking to get some magnetic ones with a 1 micron reading head, about $550 all in. The 5 micron head is about $75 less. Right now I am using the equivalent of large digital calipers and they work fine (better than planned tbh) but I would really welcome the extra accuracy/repeatability. All I have to do then is keep it on the quiet from the missus!
<<

Mitchell s

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:22 am

You are easily the coolest lawyer in history! Awesome work on all of your hobby fronts! :armed:
Next

Return to Home Brew