FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Oldfast's Picks & Tensors

<<

james504

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:06 pm

Re: Oldfast's Picks & Tensors

zck113 wrote:Did you get this idea from me? I mentioned the possiblity of using a butter knife for a pick a few days ago, just curious :D great work though, looks sturdy

nah bro people been doing this shit for a long time look at awols vids from like 2008 he been doing it for a while so i doubt oldfast heard you say it and went out and made it .............just sayin... :mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MsJames504
<<

NothingVentured

Familiar Face

Post Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:21 pm

Oldfast, after I saw this post I went out and bought some old butter knives, but I don't have a ready pattern. Is there any way you can do some measurements of the width and length of the handle and the length of the pick? I might be able to just go from there. I'm not one for spending money if I can make something with all of the tools I've collected.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:36 am

NothingVentured, so sorry for the delayed response. Now that summers winding down, I'm hoping to be back on here on a daily basis.

There's some absolutely killer craftsman around this forum that amaze me! It's quite possible you've already found what you were looking for. If not, I'm more than happy to give you any measurments that could help. There's also wide array of printable templates available if you search around. Using templates would be much more precise & productive, and, would give you a good variety to choose from. But again, I'm happy to PM you specs on any of the picks or tensors I own. Keep in mind, any mearsurments I give would be from a standard or slimline SouthOrd pick, since this is more or less all I own (minus a couple of slender Petersons) Let me know either way. Looks like you're off to a great start Al. I'm excited for ya.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

nozza36

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:45 am

Oldfast , just out of curiosity , how long did it take you to get that gleam on the reach pick ?
I'm not going to like the answer am i ?
Open Sez Me !
<<

Oldfast

Post Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:26 pm

nozza36 wrote:Oldfast , just out of curiosity , how long did it take you to get that gleam on the reach pick ?
I'm not going to like the answer am i ?

lol! No, you probably won't. Honestly, I can't really remember. I know it was at least an hour, maybe well over an hour.

I wrote:Now for the sanding phase. This could be exhausting if it weren't for the fact that I rather enjoy it (and I'm a little on the obsessive side).
Grits: 220, 400, 600, 800, 1000-wet, 2000-wet, and finally, a dremel and some toothpaste. Did someone say mirror finish? lol

Obviously I took this a little far. For the sake of proficiency, you could cut the total time down n obtain the same results.
Strictly in terms of functionality, I've heard people say a 600 grit finish will suffice. I tend to believe one step further
would be benefitial... maybe 800 grit?

Also, if you don't have 1000 or 2000 grit, or simply don't feel the need to spend money on them -
I'd be willing to bet you could achieve a 1000 grit finish using a heavily used piece of 800. The grit
breaks down into finer bits progressively as it's used. Use it wet and it polishes even more fine.

And a sidenote on using toothpaste on the buffer wheel of a dremel. Include water with the
toothpaste and do not be too aggressive... it WILL heat the pick up quicker than you'd expect.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:44 pm

Oldfast wrote:For the sake of proficiency, you could cut the total time down n obtain the same results.
Strictly in terms of functionality, I've heard people say a 600 grit finish will suffice. I tend to believe one step further
would be benefitial... maybe 800 grit?

And a sidenote on using toothpaste on the buffer wheel of a dremel. Include water with the
toothpaste and do not be too aggressive... it WILL heat the pick up quicker than you'd expect.
I've had pretty good results by just skipping some of the middle grits. I go with 220, 600, 1000, then polish. You have to take a little more time on each but it has always ended pretty shiny for me. Never tried the toothpaste myself, I use Blue Magic brand polish cream. I'd imagine if you use toothpaste make sure it doesn't have sparkles or anything that could gouge your work. Also, watch which way your wheel is pointing, you will fling some when you start it up.

Oh, and a bonus tip! I only have a pack of the 220 grit sanding drums for my Dremel, instead of trying to find finer grits for finishing I hang on to an old, used up drums and superglue a strip of 1000 grit (or whichever really) to it. Watch which way your tool spins though and orient the overlap accordingly or it will rip off pretty fast. 1000 grit at 10k RPM puts a shine on metal pretty damn fast.
"What if you people made giant boulders illegal because of all the innocent people who get killed by giant boulders?"
"People dont kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"
<<

nozza36

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:00 pm

Oldfast/Aedalas , learning from others experience is pure gold to me , thankyou both so much !
Open Sez Me !
<<

Alaphablue

The only difference between me and this crazy island is that I'm a madman!
The only difference between me and this crazy island is that I'm a madman!

Post Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:25 pm

That is the pick I have been putting of making hope mine turns out that good . I find old Sheffield butter knives wield exceptionally strong picks. I am currently polishing a falle style hook and I am really loving it's strength . I use a large belt sander it really helps getting even curves . I scope out the second hand stores and get butter knives really cheap
I find wiper inserts flex to much for hooks but make good rakes . Keep up the good work old fast I really enjoy your posts as they are very informative.
<<

uklockpicker

The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor
The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor

Post Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:35 pm

Excellent pick mike - thanks for sharing gr8 mirror finish :drool:
Previous

Return to Home Brew