FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Review on Custom Pins

<<

fgarci03

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:48 pm

Review on Custom Pins

Hey guys!

A while ago I got some custom made pins from a friend. Today I had the time to test them all!

I grabbed my practice lock and tested them.
This test was made with a relatively flat bitting, so I could test JUST how the pins behave, not how difficult they are on extreme bittings.

So lets get to it:

These are the 6 custom pins I got. I also got mushrooms but there's no point on testing them, because you know how they behave!
I pinned the lock at first with 6 equal pins, but later I tested everything again with just 5 pins. More on that later!

So, from the easiest to the hardest:

1)

So this was a deal breaker!
It looks like an awesome pin (it's beautiful) but, to be honest, didn't work very well. It does sound crunchy, so if you are not experienced with serrated pins you may find it tricky, but since every serration makes the counter-rotation a bit smaller, it's not hard to detect when you have actually set each pin.
To improve it: Make a bevel on the bottom of it with one extra serration. That would make it evil! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
(Also, I believe this exact pin with counter-milled chambers would be evil too!)

2)

This one was one of the funniest to pick. It's not difficult, but not so easy that it takes all the fun away. It behaves exactly like you would seem to think. But the extra large part on the bottom doesn't give you a false sense of set as I expected.

3)

Now we're getting somewhere. I can consider this pin as "hard-ish". I believe this design already exists and is used by ASSA. It has DEEP serrations, so everytime you get past a serration it really seems to be set. You only notice the differences because of what I explained on my "How not to Overset post".

4)

This design is brilliant! Passing the first false set really gives you a feeling of true set. I found myself going a little bit back and forth with this one. Not something TOO difficult, but makes you want to get serious with this SOB :mrgreen:

5)

I was pleasantly surprised with this one.
Although I found this design to be one the most beautiful ones, I didn't have my hopes up, as having a thin bottom, would make it very easy NOT to overset.
That was true but....
It was hell to pick! Setting a pin would drop another one. And not in a predictable order, which confused me! I took a while to get this one.

6)

This one is undoubtfuly the hardest. Not much to add to this. It's a TrioVing pin with a serration in the middle. To be honest, the serraton didn't add any difficulty to it, just made it more crunchy and, consequently, more fun! I wasn't able to pick this with 6 pins on the 5minutes I was aiming for each configuration. So I reduced to 5 pins and tested every single one again. I did take the same time to pick this one as the previous (with 5 pins too), so I only differenciate their difficulties because of not being able to get it with 6 pins.

I hope you guys liked my review, I look forward to test these with HiLo bittings and mixed pins (also using some as keypins too!) :mrgreen:
Go ahead, keep plugging away, picking on me! You will end up on bypass or with rigor mortise.
- GWiens2001
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:10 pm

Re: Review on Custom Pins

Thanks for making me drool all over the place. :P
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

Familiar Face

Post Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:21 pm

Sweet variations. Now that's something that would be great in a christmas stocking :D
<<

ghost1

Familiar Face

Post Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:33 pm

Omg would love to try some of those love picking assa especially partly why i developed the prince.
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:01 pm

:drool: want! want! want! :drool:

Thanks for sharing.

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

fgarci03

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:30 pm

So...

I made a custom configuration with these. Really like them!
I tap an euro cylinder's chambers to make countermilling and used a nasty configuration of these pins, with a HiLo bitting.

After building it, I turned my camera on and picked it for the first time.
Here's a video:

Here is the detail of the photos at the end of it:

The pins I used:

The milling on the chambers (and plug):

P.S. - You'll probably hear me doing a weird sound as soon as I open the lock. It was me shutting up before saying some bad words (you wouldn't probably understand portuguese anyway but....), because I picked it way faster than I expected!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :twisted:
Go ahead, keep plugging away, picking on me! You will end up on bypass or with rigor mortise.
- GWiens2001
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:16 am

Holy hell. Beautiful pins.... and beautiful pickin'! Really interesting stuff.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Norseman

Familiar Face

Post Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:25 am

That's hot! :drool:
I'm about to start making custom pins, and got some great insperation from this. Thanks.

Return to How To Pick Security Pins