FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

What Is A Wafer-Tumbler Lock?

<<

Site Admin

Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:39 pm

These work the same basic way as pin-and-tumblers, but they have thin wafer-shaped tumblers rather than pins. You pick the wafers exactly the same way you pick pins -- in fact, it is a little bit easier to pick wafer-tumbler locks because the keyhole is wider.

Some designs use single wafers rather than wafer pairs. These wafers are spring loaded so that they extend out of the cylinder, binding with the lock housing. The wafers have a hole in the center that the key will fit through. The correct key pulls the wafers down just enough so that they are all retracted into the plug. The incorrect key will either pull the wafers down only part of the way or will pull them down too far, causing them to extend out the other side of the plug.

Double-wafer locks have wafer tumblers on both ends of the plug. To pick these locks, you work the wafers on both sides as you apply pressure with the tension wrench. Wafer locks are found in most filing cabinets, lockers and cars, as well as in many padlock designs.

WAFER.jpg

Credit to Howstuffworks.com
<<

m0ose

Post Tue May 06, 2008 10:54 am

Re: What Is A Wafer-Tumbler Lock?

These locks always confuse me. I've heard them referred to as both Disk Tumblers and Wafer Locks. Either way, I've got a couple of them. They are very basic to pick. I have found that sometimes, when picking, it almost seems that the tension wrench gets it the way. I don't quite know why it seems like this, but if it's not in there right sometimes, depending on the lock, you can have problems.

The one downfall with these locks is that they are just very easy if you have the right tools. In my opinion, there is no reason to single pin these, as a snake with light tension will almost always do the trick. Though, I've also found that both side of a half ball will preform well too. As long as you use the pick right with some light tension, even the flat side will give you results. Just take your time.
<<

m0ose

Post Tue May 06, 2008 4:13 pm

usmcboltaction wrote:If the flat side of a half ball will work, you are pretty much sayin that the flat side of a diamond, a tension tool, or a thin screwdriver will work.

Lol, yeah, pretty much. I was more giving an example that even something flat will work. It isn't always the easiest to pull off, but it is 100% capable.
<<

Site Admin

Post Tue May 06, 2008 4:14 pm

i've opned quite a few wafer locks with just a tension wrench by pushing up and adding tension at the same time.

lew
<<

m0ose

Post Tue May 06, 2008 4:19 pm

Lockylew wrote:i've opned quite a few wafer locks with just a tension wrench by pushing up and adding tension at the same time.

lew

Yeah, been there done that. Some of the better ones keep you from doing it to an extent. Though, at most times, you could do it with a long toenail if you wanted to. :P

Return to Wafer-Tumbler Locks