FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

First Impression

<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:34 pm

Re: First Impression

Hey Gleb, thanks for the update...go ahead and use whatever chemicals you think will free up that Russwin :)
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:35 am

Ok will do. I decided to step back for a bit and take a few days of impressioning. Diving back into the zone this weekend so hopefully Ill have some update for you sometime next week.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:16 pm

Proof that when in doubt, take a break and hit the books will yield results. This is exactly what I did and the results the below. During my break, I seen a post by Harvey in which he brought up the question of knife edging. I believe the post was several years old but he also linked a 2 hour youtube video were in the middle they touched the topic of impressioning and knife edged a blank but what I noticed from it was the way they filed. No perpendicular but at an angle which I tried and was very success. This method yield marks you can see with a naked eye and with bad vision. Yes that visible. Plus the marks also give you depth so instead of a stroke or two you can see that you need 3 or 5 or which ever amount of stroke. So this lock that gave me hell, I impressioned a key for it in 20m lol. Once the plug turned I stopped the angle filing and went back to perpendicular filing just to make sure the cuts arent thin enough so it will ruin the key. In short, the angle filing makes the blank cuts so thin that the pins just crush it into place.

You can also see how much time and blanks this locks too. It just goes to show that if one method doesnt work, it simply means key going until you find what does work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:18 pm

For the above, there are 2 more broken blanks I couldnt find to the pic.

Next topic, I have a Master #4 4 pin that I thought Ill bang out in minutes so I didnt even decode it. 2 blanks down I realized something was up so I picked it and decoded it. Pin 1 mid, 2 high, 3 low and 4 low but when filing each 4 pins give me marks all the way down to lows. How is this happening? After decoding and knowing where pin 1 is supposed to be it still gives me marks. Any ideas?
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:18 pm

If or when you file past your shear line the driver pin will start to bind and cause the key pin to mark.
Then you end up sawing your key blank in half.
It's happen to me plenty.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:36 pm

Looks good :D
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:36 pm

There he is, Harvey thanks brotha. If it wasn't for your video post I probably would have never thought of this method.

I hear you and my mind did come up with that explanation which is why on the 3rd attempts I went so slow and flied 1/4 of my file a stroke and went no more than 2 strokes at a time but since this has never happened to me and since this is a Navy issued lock I thought that perhaps there might maybe be some security pins giving me some trouble. Never impresioning a key for a lock with security pins so I had many questions but no answer.

Going to work on that tiny WB tonight with the same method.

Jeff, I am at your will with that Russwin. More WD40 and mullet didnt work. Penetrating oil plus mullet also didnt work. Keep in mind I did pick the lock so the pin isnt frozen but possible gets stuck at times or a broken spring isnt pushing it back down. I took a careful look at the top where the cover pin holes are and the 6th does appear to look different making me think someone might have tried to open it before but might not have been able to get the pin out so sealed it back up and the lock continued to travel around until it goes to you. In any case, I am open for your instructions suggestions but if nothing then Im making it unimpressioning / broken. I would continue to play with it but I just realized how little time I have and how much things I need to get done before the month ends.

Gordon or Oldfast, One of you in that thread by Harvey mentioned above stated that for a paracentric keyway specifically mentioned Y1, you would need to knife edge the blank because the key curves from side to side of the pins. I would like more explanation on this if possible. I am going to look for that thread and will post it once found.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:51 pm

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=9538

Here is the link of the thread and the link to the video is within. Within that video you can see just what method I am talking about here. It does make the key look ugly at the end, I mean real ugly in the video but it works. This entire video is pretty sweet too so check it out. I sure did learn many things from it and will watch again.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:21 pm

You can set the Russwin aside and I'll see if one of the other guys wants to take a stab at it.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:31 pm

Will do Jeff. Ill give it my last careful look once Im done with your box. If you would like, I can forward the lock to someone and return you the others. Will save on travel time but let me know.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:26 pm

I don't recall if I've ever been real vocal about this...
but I've never been a big fan of the edging technique.

That being said, I have to say thank you! You made me realize
I've kinda closed my mind to it... and for no real good reason.

As a last ditch effort, this technique finally brought you success.
You can't dispute that! And I'm sure there's probably a number
of other scenarios that the technique would prove useful too.

What can I say? "Contempt prior to investigation" lol
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:25 am

That exactly it Oldfast. Here is that tiny WB 4 Pin that has the pin are almost completely flat which is why I had no marks but thinning the blanks and then using this angle technique worked. I also realized that for the last few times my decoding has been off by a lot so many I need to pay more attention to it.

PS. Jeff, the plug turns but the shackle is locked. You will get both of these keys to play with. The original angle cut key has a tiny crack so be easy on it. Both keys are a bit sticky but I was afraid the original blank would crack if I continued to wiggle and when I transferred the bitting to the WB blank, it wasn't giving any marks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:21 pm

Papa Gleb wrote:Will do Jeff. Ill give it my last careful look once Im done with your box. If you would like, I can forward the lock to someone and return you the others. Will save on travel time but let me know.

Just let me know when everything is done and we will go from there! Thanks again, I really appreciate it.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:21 pm

Will do and thank you. This box of locks has really improved my impressioning skills.

I stopped intaking projects because I need to finish everything by February so if I'll have time once I'm done with everything I will gladly work on a few more locks you may have but nothing too old this time lol. Something with normal round pins to bang out quickly but we will talk about this some more later on.

CALLING ADMIN: Please change name of thread to Papa Gleb's impressioning journey or something like that. It's no longer a first impressions lol and no need to make a new thread. Thanks.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:10 pm

Had some serious battles past week or two which can explain why I didnt add anything to this thread but the war is mine!

Had to take a step back just to re-group and armor up so here is that. Thees Master #3 4 pin padlocks keyed alike, are a bit more than the usual because it gave me that confidence boost so needed and you will see below why.
PreviousNext

Return to Pin Tumbler Impressioning