FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Kroeplin Micrometer

<<

flywheel

Post Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:37 pm

Re: Kroeplin Micrometer

Supposedly, paper currency is 0.0043" thick. Does Kroeplin agree?
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:43 pm

Depends on the country the currency is from. Maybe you could send MrAnybody a U.S. $100 bill, so he can verify the calibration of his Kroeplin. :D

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

flywheel

Post Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:21 pm

One US dollar is equal to 0.72 euros and 0.0043 x 0.72 = 0.003096 so....
But that doesn't seem right, right?!

Hells bells, how thick is European currency MrAnybody?

I actually was impressed with my cheap digital calipers measuring a new dollar between 0.0035" and 0.0040" thickness. Within a thousandth will work just fine for everything I will need them for.
<<

mechanical_nightmare

Post Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:49 am

I finally got my dial depth gauge, and it works pretty well for decoding dimple keys:

Here's the tool, assembled:

It is a bit tricky to set it to 0, you need a completely even and straight surface. I used a pane of glass from an old printer:

The #1 cut; .23mm

#2 cut, 1.4mm

And so on and so forth...
If you do not manipulate the lock, then the lock will manipulate you
<<

piotr

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:05 pm

mechanical_nightmare wrote:I finally got my dial depth gauge, and it works pretty well for decoding dimple keys:

Here's the tool, assembled:

Impressive piece of equipment! How much did it cost you?
<<

mechanical_nightmare

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:39 am

It cost me $100, $30 more from the US listed price, and even that's with some negotiating. Unfortunately you get ripped off for imported goods in my country, although with shipping it would end up costing more when bought from eBay.

It is a high precision tool though; you can even spot slight errors when you compare code-cut keys to duplicates. Now I need to take a look at the keying systems section in LSS to help determine the direct codes, acceptable tolerance, etc.
If you do not manipulate the lock, then the lock will manipulate you
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:09 am

Sorry to derail this thread, but I want to post a picture of my micrometer and think this is the best place to show it.
It probably has 40 or more years and was used by a prosthetic gold-teeth maker. The spring broke and was replaced by a simple rubber band. It works very well. The pointer slightly engages the scale marks so it's easy to read it without moving the needle.
I can't guess the brand name, I clearly see STAINLESS SWEDEN but not the cursive.

Cheers :)
<<

escher7

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:08 am

mechanical_nightmare wrote:It cost me $100, $30 more from the US listed price, and even that's with some negotiating. Unfortunately you get ripped off for imported goods in my country, although with shipping it would end up costing more when bought from eBay.

It is a high precision tool though; you can even spot slight errors when you compare code-cut keys to duplicates. Now I need to take a look at the keying systems section in LSS to help determine the direct codes, acceptable tolerance, etc.

Yes, the U.S. list is around $70, but when I compared it to Mitotoyu I was shocked. Their price for a similar gauge is in the $400 to $500 range. When I still had my micro machining tools, I bought Mitotoyu dial indicators etc. which I preferred for quality and they weren't that bad, but now the prices are nuts. So even at $100 you did pretty well as it looks to be excellent quality. A lot of the stuff is digital now, but I prefer my dial calipers (Mitotoyu) to the digital ones I bought a few months ago. With a dial you can interpolate and get an extra decimal place accuracy if you are careful.
<<

ARF-GEF

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:30 am

Cool stufff there, both Femurats and mechanical nightmare's ones are juciy :)
To infinity... and beyond!
=== WARNING DANGER OF TYPOS!===
Arfspeak: calnin cladycomes: you allow her key in themodning
Equals in plain English: cleaning lady comes: you allow her key in the morning
Previous

Return to Pin Tumbler Impressioning