FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Marks

<<

DennisK

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:39 pm

Marks

I'm trying to make a kwikset key via impressioning. This is my first attempt. I am seeing marks,but they are on the side instead of on top of the key like I see in all the instructional videos.What am I doing wrong?
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:44 pm

Re: Marks

Any chance of pictures?

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

mseifert

Familiar Face

Post Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:59 pm

I could be wrong here but marks on the sides of the key is acceptable .. If you can see marks I would run with it .. Most people have trouble reading the marks
When I finally leave this world.. Will someone please tell my wife what I have REALLY spent on locks ...
<<

DennisK

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:07 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:Any chance of pictures?

Gordon

Afraid not Gordon.I mean,I got some skills,just not those kind. :razz: :shock:
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:15 pm

Might be ok. I'd carefully follow the marks and see what happens.
I think you mentioned you have a shitload of blanks anyway? lol

I know I've had locks that start out like that... the marks were more or less on the edge.
As I continued to file down, the marks began to show up on the top surface of the blank.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:17 pm

My question was in my confusion of the title of the topic... Marks. Thought he was asking about Marks locks with sliders as well as keypins.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Neilau

Post Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:51 pm

Denis.

Have you filed down the blanks to a thin edge?

If so, that could explain it. If not, I'm not sure but try thinning out the top of the key blank anyway. You will probably get clearer marks.

Cheers.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

DennisK

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:30 am

Neilau wrote:Denis.

Have you filed down the blanks to a thin edge?

If so, that could explain it. If not, I'm not sure but try thinning out the top of the key blank anyway. You will probably get clearer marks.

Cheers.

I did file the top at approx. a 45* angle,but possibly I didn't file it enough.
Ok I guess I'll just go along with the side marks and see if I can get a key to form.Thanks everyone! :smile:
<<

DennisK

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:48 pm

Still no luck.I have filed the 5 pin locations,but when I get close to what appears to be getting close,I can't get the marks to show.I've smoked the blank,used a Sharpie marker,and even used UV pens and light. I'm not sure that I'm "cut" out for this skill! :(
<<

faygo6

Familiar Face

Post Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:55 pm

My first attempt at impessioning was a cheaper version of a Kwickset, I beleive it was an ilco. It was giving me marks on the side of the key too. I later figured out the lock was so cheap that the pins had to much play for the way I filed down the top of the key blade. After burning through a few blanks I decided to leave the blade alone and I got solid indications on that one. If you are new at impressioning maybe try taking some pins out of the lock and start with just one or two pins until you get the hang of reading the marks.
<<

GringoLocksmith

Post Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:26 am

I've found that if I start by blackening the key with a Sharpie, I sometimes get marks on the sides that are not to trusted, as they can fall between where the cuts should be. This is usually only at the beginning of the process.

Personally, I've never had any luck with filing the edge down.
<<

DennisK

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:50 am

GringoLocksmith wrote:I've found that if I start by blackening the key with a Sharpie, I sometimes get marks on the sides that are not to trusted, as they can fall between where the cuts should be. This is usually only at the beginning of the process.

Personally, I've never had any luck with filing the edge down.

Yes the same thing happens to me,but I have gotten past that part.I am now at the stage where it is looking like a key,but won't open the lock.Now I can't see any marks no matter what method I use. I think I read somewhere that Kwikset locks were hard to impression,but they are very common around my area so I need to learn how to handle them.
<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:10 am

Original Kwikset pins are flat with beveled edges where as most other pins come to a point. So if it has original pins it will make it harder to see the marks and will look different than a regular pin with a point will make.
"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

DennisK

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:16 am

MrWizard wrote:Original Kwikset pins are flat with beveled edges where as most other pins come to a point. So if it has original pins it will make it harder to see the marks and will look different than a regular pin with a point will make.

Yes it's an original dead bolt.I suppose I could change the key pins if I can find the correct ones around here. :)
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:28 pm

I concur with Wizard: Kwikset is a terrible lock for a beginner to impression. The original pins have wider flats, making for the wider cuts in the keys. If your filed cuts aren't properly widened, you may never have success.

I have developed a method of gauging (decoding) the cut depths, after the lock has been picked. This is related to my method of generating keys to certain padlocks, including Master locks. It is sort of a "hybrid" impressioning/decoding, that was born out of this aging man's fading vision. I use it for generating keys for locks that have no codes, like Master, and other brand padlocks, file cabinet and mail box locks, and even a handful of door locks. I've been meaning to make a tutorial to share with the forum; but lack the videography equipment and skills.
Nemo Malus Felix
Next

Return to Pin Tumbler Impressioning