FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

fgarci03's Impressioning Quest

<<

fgarci03

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:37 am

Re: fgarci03's Impressioning Quest

Yeah, red and green. Don't know where the blue came from :mrgreen:

Thanks for the tip Rai, I'll be sure to try it out!
Go ahead, keep plugging away, picking on me! You will end up on bypass or with rigor mortise.
- GWiens2001
<<

fgarci03

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:39 pm

IMPRESSION 12

Have you ever seen a key like this?

It's from a dimple lock:

I've had a lock that I couldn't pick when I got it and was left forgotten for a while. Decided to give it a go today and I was stunned:

:shock: Never imagined it could have these, as I've never heard about this brand, nor anyone who I asked.

Anyway, decided to make a key for it. Never impressioned a dimple lock, and since I couldn't see the marks, I decided to use the disassembled plug to do it. Here's the detail on the key:

And proof of success:

Unfortunatelly, when I copied the cuts on the other side, I cutted a little too much on one pin and the key only works with the right side up... But ok, we all make mistakes :mrgreen:
Go ahead, keep plugging away, picking on me! You will end up on bypass or with rigor mortise.
- GWiens2001
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:28 pm

Those arre some serriously serrrated pins, my frriend. Keep them away from Xeo, or he will be chewing them with his breakfast cereal! :lol:

Nice job impressioning the lock. For your first time, think you did quite well. And you have now impressioned a dimple lock before I have. :mrgreen:

Does the print on that lock say OMEO? The picture is a little fuzzy, so can't be sure of what I think it says. Would not mind getting one of those locks to fiddle with.

Being a dimple lock, aren't those driver pins excessively long, or is that normal? What do the key pins look like?

Thanks for the lock p@rn!

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

fgarci03

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:37 pm

Thanks Gordon!

It says OMEC. It's an Italian brand, but not even Femurat knew them :shock: :mrgreen:
I think the driver pins are regular sized. At least are the same from other dimples I disassembled...
The key pins are regular. No security features on those.

I got this from a friend who found it around his shop with no keys. I'll be sure to let you know if I happen to find another one! :wink:

GWiens2001 wrote:Those arre some serriously serrrated pins, my frriend. Keep them away from Xeo, or he will be chewing them with his breakfast cereal!

I think Xeo could pick this lock by staring at it!

TBH, it has some serious hi-low configuration. 3 of the 6 pins are 0 cuts :shock:
I can't even move my pick in there!
- GWiens2001
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:52 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:....And you have now impressioned a dimple lock before I have. :mrgreen:

Same here. I've picked a couple of dimples (not many)...
and certainly haven't attempted to create a key for one!

Nice job for the first time out! What did you use to cut the dimples?
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

fgarci03

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:08 pm

Oldfast wrote:Nice job for the first time out! What did you use to cut the dimples?

Thanks Mike!
I used a regular round file, the same I use for regular locks.

That's why the key looks to have :hbg: "been chewed up and spit out and booed off stage"! :hbg:
To make the proper depths for the key I had to file in an angle so I end up removing lots of metal from the blank.

Should have been something like this:
:razz:
- GWiens2001
<<

Oldfast

Post Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:17 pm

Oh, ok. At a quick glance, that second to last picture... the dimples looked circular.
Almost like you'd used a drill. That might even be something worth trying next time? :)
<<

fgarci03

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:27 am

Oldfast wrote:Oh, ok. At a quick glance, that second to last picture... the dimples looked circular.
Almost like you'd used a drill. That might even be something worth trying next time? :)

I have thought about that. But the holes would be too sharp and the key might get stuck.

I have a tip for my dremel that might do the trick, I'll have to see about that :D
- GWiens2001
<<

Oldfast

Post Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:49 am

fgarci03 wrote:....I have a tip for my dremel that might do the trick, I'll have to see about that :D
Ah yes, you're right. That would be a better option.
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:05 am

I think he did a good job, trying to read impressions in a drilled dimple would have been very hard to do, this way, you get a smooth cut to see and read the marks in, and
if the key functions, you can't complain about the impressioning.

impressioning often leaves marks and tell tail signs on a key, but it shows the depths and you can use it to create a key that looks more like the original, in fact, if you have a machine that copies dimple keys, you can put Filipes key in it and create a key that is a copy made with dimples.

Filipe, do ya think you'll take that to a locksmith with the proper copier and get one made?
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:14 am

OH, just to mention I once did something that this reminds me of,

I couldn't pick an ACE II lock so I decided to impression it on a brass blank.

couldnt cut straight across because the other side of the key was there so I angled upward to make my impressioning cuts. the thing was very sharp and I got blood all over that job. but it worked enough to read and make a usable key
<<

fgarci03

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:42 am

rai wrote:in fact, if you have a machine that copies dimple keys, you can put Filipes key in it and create a key that is a copy made with dimples.

Filipe, do ya think you'll take that to a locksmith with the proper copier and get one made?

That's an awesome advice! I think I'll try that when I have the chance to go to the locksmith!
Thanks Rai!
- GWiens2001
Previous

Return to Pin Tumbler Impressioning