FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Impressioned Yale Pin Tumbler Push Key

<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:43 pm

Impressioned Yale Pin Tumbler Push Key

Just finished impressioning a key for this lock for another board member here.

It sure looks a heck of a lot better than the first key I impressioned for one of these locks. I had no blanks that fit, so I had hammered out another blank, then filed it to fit. It looked like cr##, but it worked. Then when I got a real blank, I just copied it over. This time, at least I started with a real blank. :mrgreen:
Gordon
Last edited by GWiens2001 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

LocksmithArmy

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:44 pm

Re: Impressioned Yale Pin Tumbler Push Key

ma ur a beast... I have one of these I need a key for... now ive got some ideas... thanks
Pokey wrote:"Come and get me, loser! Spankity spankity spankity!"
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:51 pm

Wow! I sure wish that was my padlock :P
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:59 pm

Gordon.... beautiful job man!! BEAUTIFUL.

I received one of those from Sour not long ago and was going to give it a try sometime soon.

Any tips or warnings for me before I get around to attempting it? edit: impressioning it, that is.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:41 pm

Oldfast wrote:Gordon.... beautiful job man!! BEAUTIFUL.

I received one of those from Sour not long ago and was going to give it a try sometime soon.

Any tips or warnings for me before I get around to attempting it? edit: impressioning it, that is.

Yes, a couple of tips. I have not done this yet, but considered it today. Hammer flat some copper tubing, or buy some copper the size of the blank. The key is not subjected to the same rotational stresses that most pin tumbler locks produce when impressioning, so the strength of brass is not needed while impressioning. The copper, being much softer, will take impressioning marks much easier, which helps with this lock. Once you have the impressioned copper key, just transfer it to the brass or nickel silver blank.

Remember, the impressions are made by holding the shackle in a cloth-covered vice, and lifting the lock body a few times. I use a cloth covered screwdriver for this. The impression marks are harder to see, and are much smaller than with normal pin tumbler locks, hence my copper suggestion. With experience, you see the marks easier. I started and finished with a nickel-silver blank. Just think of how you manipulate now compared to three months ago.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Brett0524

Familiar Face

Post Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:31 am

Thanks I have three of these I've been trying to impression keys to fit. Im going to try the copper this weekend
<<

Oldfast

Post Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:24 am

Gordon, thanks so much for the post here and the additional pms with links!
Damn, I would've unkowingly been walking into a small minefield of problems. lol
That last pin and shit... I never would've guessed until I encountered it probably.

Nice to know too, that they can be disassembled. I love those pins!
Really quite surprising the security pins in it. I really didn't expect that from
an older lock. Definitly putting them into "Oldfast's gutted locks" sometime. :D
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

psykro

Familiar Face

Post Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:52 am

:drool:
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:34 am

***wipes up Psykro's drool***

@Brett...

Let me know how that goes with the copper!

Keep in mind that the fourth key pin (the one furthest into the lock) is larger in diameter than the other three, but it has a normal driver pin above it. (By normal driver, I mean diameter. These locks use security pins... usually a serrated mushroom. True!). This means that the fourth pin has to be lifted to the shear line, but it will not go above the shear line. Most of these locks are constructed like this, but I have seen a few that are not. Just be aware of it.

You will need to impression the key for that fourth pin before the blank will fully fit into the lock. I do this by filing or sanding the leading edge of the blank, inserting it as far as it will go into the lock (jiggling it when it is all the way in to be sure the fourth pin is fully lifted), then tapping it moderately with a small rawhide or plastic mallot. This will leave a small impressioning mark on the ramp at the tip of the key. Simply file down to this mark, and continue cutting the blank back at this level until the blank can be fully inserted, but no further, or you may cut too low for the third pin!

Be sure that as you file down the tip to that mark, keep filing an angle matching that of the blank's tip!

Gordon
<<

JA_Pruflock

Post Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:59 pm

This is very helpful....cant wait to work on this one: But I think it has paint on it. Shackle wont lift. Waiting for some suggestions on a good solvent that may take care of this crud and not harm the metal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:45 pm

The shackle does not lift much until it is picked. Also, if it has been closed without opening for a while, the crud can almost glue the plug in place. A bit of WD-40 sprayed into the keyway, then working the shackle a little, can help free it up. Once you have it opened, you can use compressed air to clear out the WD-40.

Gordon
<<

Lauren

Post Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:07 pm

Gordon, What did you use to make the blank? And why impression the lock? Shimming is a heck of a lot easier. Then you can take the lock apart to make the key.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:25 pm

For this lock, used a blank found at a yard sale. :-)

As for why impression? I like the challenge. Just wish I had your talent!

Since you are here, Lauren, that reminded me that I took some pictures of another one of these locks after seeing your writeup on how to disassemble them. Credit for teaching me how to take these locks apart goes to Lauren, folks! It may have been a while, but I don't forget those who teach me!

Adding a few more pictures since there is once more a little more interest in these Yale Push Key Pin Tumbler locks.  Had the pictures around a while, may as well post them.  Hey, nobody tell Oldfast that there are a few gut shots.  Shhh! :-D

The lock is picked open, and the brass fitting is partly unscrewed on the side without the shackle.  This is the first step in disassembly.

With that fitting removed, look into the hole.  You will see this spring.  Have pulled it away from the shackle side of the lock.  Then the shackle can be removed from the lock.  A plug follower is not a bad idea when removing the shackle.

This is the plug part of the shackle.  Pay particular attention to the fourth hole. The fourth hole has a larger diameter key pin which can not be lifted  above the shear line.  This works as a kind of adjustable warding.  The tip of the key will need to be filed down to this level in order to fit the key fully into the lock.

Pins from the lock.  The driver pins are serrated mushroom pins, and the key pins are serrated.  There is a bit of wear on these pins, which is to be expected considering the age.  The pictures are from my old phone, so you can not see the serrations very well, but all the pins are serrated.

Gordon
<<

JA_Pruflock

Post Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:04 pm

really great photos of this granddaddy. Thanks for posting them. :hbg:
<<

oldbiscuit

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:34 pm

Gordon, I'm surprised at the larger pin in the fourth hole on yours. I've got 3 different Yale PKPT locks and none of them have the larger pin. I just took the last one apart today to clean it and fit a key. Mine all had however have the serrated key pins and mushroom top pins. I replaced the key pins in mine because they were really worn on the end that the key rides against.However, I left the mushroom pins in them. :mrgreen:
"It never fails - as soon as I find the key to success, somebody changes the lock!"
Next

Return to Pin Tumbler Impressioning