FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Oldfast Impressions

<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:29 pm

Re: Oldfast Impressions

....back to Jeff's Pile-O-Locks.
An old Corbin

Jeff. As you know, lol, I'm an obsessive fuck that's not always pleased with every key.
But I really went old school on this one and I feel like I really nailed it. Hope you like it!

A 3-pin lock that uses ball bearings in the pin stacks. You can see the first pin is inset quite a distance
from the face of the plug. Approximately .370. And although the cylinder seems to have plenty of length,
there's something just behind the last pin that stops the the key. So the first order of business then was
to shorten the key. I also took just a smidge off the bottom shoulder so it won't mark up the lock's body.

I opted to go with rounded valleys rather than flats. Not only to accommodate the bearings,
but it's kind of an older style cut. The small flat file on the left has always been really helpful
for me when it comes to creating those perfectly straight slopes. It can be done with a pippin,
(in the right hands) but I just haven't quite yet found a knack for it. Not consistently anyway.

Image . . Image

Last thing I like to do with any key is to dress up the leading edge of the tip & slightly round off the peaks.
Helps reduce wear on the pins over time & should make for smooth insertion/removal of the key.
I grab some 400 grit followed up with 2000 for this.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:31 pm

Beautiful!!
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

Oldfast

Post Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:43 am

Glad you like it :)

Running a cleaner/degreaser through this one, followed by some lube might not be a bad idea.
Everyone has their own preference in regards to products though... so I'll leave this up to you.

Anyway, we're gettin' there Jeff! Couple more and I think I'll probably send out box 1 of 2.
You've been MORE than patient to say least. I can only hope it was worth the wait :D
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:12 pm

I have been enjoying this thread for a course of several days getting closer and closer to the end and I am so freaking speechless mate. You are doing magic with these keys. Just amazing. I also noticed that these are all new posts which is great because I was thinking they are years old and the thread is dead but not the case so I expect Oldfast to be releasing more of his goodies very soon.

PS Oldfast any chance of a video showing how things are done, key shaping/shortening, and tips etc.
<<

Oldfast

Post Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:21 pm

Papa Gleb! Make's me extremely happy to hear you've enjoyed & benefited from
me documenting my journey from the start. Wow, you're right - couple years now!
Papa Gleb wrote:PS Oldfast any chance of a video showing how things are done, key shaping/shortening, and tips etc.

Honestly, if it would help ya, I wouldn't mind trying to put a vid together.
Unfortunately, I gotta say it probably won't happen any time soon :/

I've not been very active on utube latley and I'll tryn' refrain from going into a big ol' rant over it. lol
But their RELENTLESS updates just kinda got to me. Early on this past summer their latest update
seemed to fuck up my channel... so I reverted back to the old style. Eventually this update became
mandatory. Because I didn't comply I'm unable to leave comments or pm other people. I haven't
even tried... but I'll bet I can't even upload a video if I wanted.

I really don't have a legitimate bitch! It's just me being resistant to change. Also, not being very
computer savvy makes it VERY frustrating. Just when I finally learn enough to be able to do the
things I want to accomplish... they change it all up again. I have similar issues with Photobucket.

Anyway, I do this stuff cause I enjoy it. So when it became more frustrating than fun...
I figured it best to just take a step back. Eventually I'll take the time to get acquainted with
their system again. Or, what I'd really like to do is find somewhere else that would simply
host my vids, nothing more. The whole 'social' part of it: followers, fans, thumbs up, likes,
etc. Honestly I could do without all that jazz. This is turning into a rant now. I'll shut up. lol
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:45 pm

Mike I think I seen you mention something about this some time back before I even became a member but I am with you mate. It took me some time and several attempts to figure all their merger changes and still not 100% at it but all I need is to upload a video and community which I can do.

I can always help you settiing things up or fix what has already been set and at worst I can upload the video for you if you wish. At the worst worst, if you do get around to it, you can just share the video here if possible or send it to me via email. I would really really enjoy watching you work plus I feel there are is much more I can learn from you that just cant be written or pictured.

Anyways, as you already know and speaking for everyone, KP and I are always here for you. Lastly again amazing thread and work and thanks again.
<<

Oldfast

Post Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:17 pm

Thank you. I really appreciate the support! I know I'll eventually get back into shooting some vids...
when I do, it's nice to know there's plenty of people happy to help me with my lack of tech skills :)
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:42 pm

For sure brotha. Just say when and where.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:33 pm

Oldfast, I wanted to ask what do you do with the key right after you have tweeked it and it works great. Do you sand it down or wire wheel it or brush it ???

You also mentioned that you were looking into ways of making the new keys have the old patina look to match the locks well I ran across this and thought you might be interested. I am not sure how many days/months or years ago you mentioned this about the keys so you might have already figured it out but if you did please share. Even if you did not master making the key look old, what have you tried so far?
<<

Oldfast

Post Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:49 am

Papa Gleb wrote:Oldfast, I wanted to ask what do you do with the key right after you have tweeked it and it works great. Do you sand it down or wire wheel it or brush it ???

I usually dress up the leading edge of the tip & slightly round off the peaks.
I do this by hand with some 400 grit followed up with 2000. If you take
a piece and roll it up fairly tight, you can kinda roll over the peaks.

Papa Gleb wrote:You also mentioned that you were looking into ways of making the new keys have the old patina look to match the locks well I ran across this and thought you might be interested. I am not sure how many days/months or years ago you mentioned this about the keys so you might have already figured it out but if you did please share. Even if you did not master making the key look old, what have you tried so far?

Ah man, my memory is so shitty... I'll tryn' find my old notes on it though so I can at least tell you
what some of the things were that I tried. Bottom line though is no, I never came to anything that
I was even remotely satisfied with. Admittedly, it was one of those projects that I gave up on or
got side tracked too soon. Anyway, I'll tryn' get back with you on what didn't work so it'll at least
save you some trial & error. I'm sure you'll come up with something better than me though. lol
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:00 am

I think I forgot to say what I came across lol.
Liver of Sulfur - this product specifically is made to give metal that great patina
https://www.google.com/search?q=liver+o ... 05&bih=741
<<

Oldfast

Post Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:37 pm

That's one thing I never tried. Should be promising I would think.

And PLEASE share your results when you get around to tryn' it!

Also keep in mind... some brass has a lacquer coating that will
keep a chemical patina from working. Paint remover or lacquer
thinner should do fine for removing this layer I would think.

So which liver of sulfur did you get?
I know it comes in chunks, liquids, gels, etc.
<<

Oldfast

Post Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:03 pm

A very special project for a very special friend.
Been wanting to do this for quite some time but just didn't have the know-how.
Lauren's book along with some messaging has finally helped me help a friend.

A nice sequentially sized set of swing lever Yale locks owned by my friend Dave (retired sheriff/lock collector).
Over the years he's acquired working keys through various locksmiths and friends.... except for the small one.

One of the biggest problems/hangups I had with this project was the actual key. I wanted something original, or damn close.
I scanned ebay for weeks. But regardless of whether they were originals or off brands, I never seen any of them this small.

With the lock picked and in the open position, I used a piece of brass stock for the initial impression.
This temporary key was then duplicated onto something a little more authentic. Dave had a handful of
these old keys that did not go to anything. After choosing one where the previous cuts would not interfere
with the new key, I began what ended up being a fairly long process of grinding/filing/sanding it down to the
perfect fit of length, width, and height. I carved out the all important tip and the cuts were then carefully made.

A lot of time was spent bringing the brass stock (as well as the over-sized key) down to specs.
So needless to say I was very cautious & progressive as I made the cuts on the temporary
stock & even more so when transferring this to the final key. All very worthwhile labor.

Image Image

With time, the shiny re-worked key blade should age... and the two will look like they were born together.

And the biggest treat of all?!... stopping by to return his (now complete) collection.
Coincidentally, Dave and his wife happened to be celebrating 52 yrs of marriage.
Lauren, thank you again for helping to make this possible :salute:
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:07 pm

Awesome work!!
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

flywheel

Post Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:21 pm

Hey Oldfast, when you look in the mirror every morning do you say to yourself, "Goddamn, I'm awesome!"
Just curious. Great work. :hbg:
PreviousNext

Return to Pin Tumbler Impressioning