FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Oldfast Impressions

<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Wed May 22, 2013 6:09 pm

Re: Oldfast Impressions

GWiens2001 wrote:Do you have the depths and increments for the bittings on them?
As with most brands, I do not have the specs for spacing & depth. One of these days I should start
collecting that info though. I'm sure my work would become much more precise. For now I just 'wing it'
GWiens2001 wrote:Or heck, just send me your key, and I'll tell you how many of my Wilson Bohannan locks it turns!
No shit! Right?! LOL

jeffmoss26 wrote:you da man!!!
My pleasure to serve you Sargent :salute: I just hope I never
fail you Sir... I have heard the consequences are grave :shock:
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Thu May 23, 2013 5:54 am

LOL!
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun May 26, 2013 7:41 pm

OK Mike, question for you (or anyone else here who has a Wilson Bohannen lock with a key or has picked one)...

Planning on impressioning the three WB locks I have, and have been trying to pick them for a while. Just now, I figured out that I had been successfully impressioning them, but did not know it. It just felt like I had picked the f###### things for the hundredth time, but the plug would just not turn. Seemed to pick easily, but still that :bird: plug would not turn. Finally, in a little bit of frustration, I applied very :twisted: heavy tension after 'picking' it easily... And the damned thing turned. It had been picked. I tried the other two, and same thing... they picked very easily, but the plug felt like it was just a little bit too tight. On all three of them. it did not take the excessive tension I had intended to apply in frustration, but it took a lot more than I am used to... Sort of like a padlock with a really strong return spring. Obviously there is no return spring on these locks, just that the plugs feel tight.

So the question - is that normal? One, I could see, sure thing. Two... A fluke. But all three? (Yes, ARF-GEF, we use the same saying here.).

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Oldfast

Post Mon May 27, 2013 7:30 am

Most, if not all WB's (that I've come across anyway) DO have a return spring. However, they're not
heavy, and wouldn't require such torque. I'd say it's most likely just due to the condition of the locks
your working on. Depending on conditon, cleaning/lubing might free up the plug a bit more and allow
it to turn more freely... and also allow the return spring to do it's job.

Couple of Jeff's locks were like this too. The plug turns so tightly that it stays after being turned.
edit: A brand new WB operates pretty smoothly & doesn't require much turning force (w/ key or picking).
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Mon May 27, 2013 7:51 am

Oldfast wrote:Couple of Jeff's locks were like this too. The plug turns so tightly that it stays after being turned.

That describes it perfectly. That is why I thought these had no return spring. I'll go impression them soon, and then,use them.

Thank you for the input, Mike.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Oldfast

Post Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:16 pm

Finally finished up Jeff's latest batch of locks. Being Sunday (no mail)... thought I'd snap some pictures.

First and foremost... my first FAIL!! :D Why is this frustrating as well as exciting?... because I'm a sick man. lol
This good ol' Wilson Bohannan is the first ever lock to withstand my impressioning attempts *bows respectfully*

I picked it a couple times, so I know the plug isn't frozen up. I have some theories as to why I was unsuccessful...
but the bottom line is that this good ol' boy got the better of me!! It'll be headed home to you keyless Jeff :???:

Image Image

Then we have one very finicky 6-pin Sargent padlock. Both the insertion & the turning of the key is
sometimes (but not always) rough. Originally, my peaks & angles were taller & steeper. In an effort to make insertion
smoother, I shortened the peaks and placed a more gradual slope on each one. This didn't seem to change anything.
I'm really not sure if this is due to my keys or the condition of the lock. It's also masterpinned... which I would've
liked to experiment with some... but time is short in the summer and I've had these locks for too long already.

And lastly, the infamous Almont 'Re-Key'. As our good friend Bill has shown us... LoL... they're easily diassembled,
but not always so easy to get back together. If you've not sub'd to Bosnianbill yet, you're missin' some good shit!
This padlock is key retaining and uses a SC1 keyway.

I think/hope you'll be thrilled with this one Jeff! As long as I had this aprart, I decided to degrease, brasso, and lubricate
everything inside (pins & springs too). I was careful to leave the years of character on the plug face & body untouched.
The key absolutely looks like it's fresh off a key machine, and it turns like silk.... requiring only a feather light touch.

<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:44 pm

/me bows down as always! Thanks again!!
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

fgarci03

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:15 pm

Nice work Mike!

I need to get an magnifier to see impression marks. Still haevn't gave too much though on real impression but I really need to...
Go ahead, keep plugging away, picking on me! You will end up on bypass or with rigor mortise.
- GWiens2001
<<

Oldfast

Post Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:05 am

Before you spend money on magnification.... try a pair of reading glasses.
I picked up a pair from Walmart (+3.00 magnification). Works good for me.
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:03 am

Oldfast, since you could pick the obstinate lock, did you try "reading" the pin depths. Obviously you have a code machine, so that is a great skill to develop
if you don't do it already. Just a thought. Great work on the rest of that lot!
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:09 am

Killer work Oldfast. You really need to try a BEST!
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

fgarci03

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:30 am

Oldfast wrote:Before you spend money on magnification.... try a pair of reading glasses.

Haha, Mike wears glasses! :geek:

Will do that! Thanks for the tip :mrgreen:
Go ahead, keep plugging away, picking on me! You will end up on bypass or with rigor mortise.
- GWiens2001
<<

Oldfast

Post Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:44 pm

mastersmith wrote:Oldfast, since you could pick the obstinate lock, did you try "reading" the pin depths. Obviously you have a code machine, so that is a great skill to develop if you don't do it already. Just a thought. Great work on the rest of that lot!
If I tricked ya into thinking I have a code machine.... I've done a good job, lol. All keys are hand cut.

You're so right about developing the skill of 'reading' depths by sight! It would be a VERY useful skill.
At this point, I've not even begun gathering depth charts for various brands, let alone training my eyes.
I do take a look after picking, but without a seasoned eye, it only gives me a very rough idea of cuts.

But I am curious Mastersmith... when you are sighting the pins, do you use any aids other than maybe a
light to help you see them? I find with some locks/keyways, it's difficult to see beyond the first couple pins.

xeo wrote:Killer work Oldfast. You really need to try a BEST!
I do have plans to delve into impressioning Bests... although it may have to wait til winter.
I've been acquiring some Best cores and padlocks with Best and Arrow cores as of late.
I'm also keeping an eye out for blanks... which are a little pricier than I'm use to.

fgarci03 wrote:
Oldfast wrote:Before you spend money on magnification.... try a pair of reading glasses.

Haha, Mike wears glasses! :geek:

Will do that. Thanks for the tip :mrgreen:
Be sure to get purple ones (like me, lol) They work the best.
<<

fgarci03

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:08 pm

Why purple?
- GWiens2001
<<

Oldfast

Post Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:07 pm

fgarci03 wrote:Why purple?
Well, so you can be like me!!!... Why else!? :rofl:
PreviousNext

Return to Pin Tumbler Impressioning