FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

pipen file

<<

spanky2313

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:13 pm

pipen file

Is this a must for Impressioning. Just looking for some feed back
<<

KokomoLock

Professor Emeritus Of Lockpickology and Smithery

Post Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:16 pm

Re: pipen file

Not a MUST but makes things a lot easier. I also use a round file sometimes. If you get a Pippin file make sure it is a #4 cut. I say get a cheaper round file first and see how things go, if you stick with it and start doing a lot of locks, then invest in a pippin file.
<<

oldlock

Familiar Face

Post Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:34 pm

I do a lot of impressioning. The best file I have found is a Vallorbe rat tail file. Use the 8" file, no 4 cut.
Bramah Australasia
http://www.bramah.com.au

The above link has been approved by the site admin.
<<

nhoj_yelbom

Post Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:47 pm

KokomoLock wrote:Not a MUST but makes things a lot easier. I also use a round file sometimes. If you get a Pippin file make sure it is a #4 cut. I say get a cheaper round file first and see how things go, if you stick with it and start doing a lot of locks, then invest in a pippin file.

i agree 100%, i had a 0 cut and i could not use it without it grabbing too much. of course now i cant find the damn thing, i have misplaced/lost it somehow.....
Wanted TrioVing, ASSA, BiLock, Environmental Locks and Keys, Ingersoll
<<

spanky2313

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:44 pm

I bought a 6 inch. 4 cut pipen file. I like it but 75 dollars was a lot of money for a file. Thanks
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:08 pm

Hawleylocksupply.com has pippens for a decent price.

Lockpicks.com has the round files for a decent price.
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:38 am

I use BOTH the rattail file and the Pippin. It really depends on the type of key I'm impressioning. I usually start my cuts with the rattail file, and shape the cuts using the Pippin, as they get deeper.
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

Josh66

Post Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:13 pm

What is a "decent" price for these? I saw some on Amazon, and I was a little shocked at how expensive they are.

I'm an aircraft mechanic - I have a lot of expensive tools, and a lot of files. I have never even heard of a file that cost this much.

If using two files instead of one means I save $40 ... I think I'll keep my $40.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:29 pm

With files you really get what you pay for.

Try this guy for some of the better ones. You might pay a bit more but they will cut better, cut smoother and last longer. http://www.keypicking.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=6723
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

Russ

Post Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:09 pm

I have had my 8" Pippin file for 10 out of the 12 years and its still going strong
the first one I got lasted 2 years then I dropped it and stepped on it broke it in half
just don't use them on hard metal and they will last a long time
. Automotive Locksmith
Facts only No BS
Tale the Truth and nothing but the Truth
<<

Kezo

Familiar Face

Post Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:43 pm

Russ wrote:I have had my 8" Pippin file for 10 out of the 12 years and its still going strong
the first one I got lasted 2 years then I dropped it and stepped on it broke it in half

10 years? Wow. How do you keep these files clean so it will last that long? I have a grobet round file that kind of feels clogged up with brass.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:54 pm

Kezo wrote:
Russ wrote:I have had my 8" Pippin file for 10 out of the 12 years and its still going strong

10 years? Wow. How do you keep these files clean so it will last that long? I have a grobet round file that kind of feels clogged up with brass.

Always clean your good files with a file card after use to dislodge bits of metal. I'll also frequently flush them with oil after use too, then lean them up on their tip to drain on top of a folded paper towel. It further cleans them, and prevents rust.
<<

Josh66

Post Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:04 pm

Most of my files (I don't have a pippin file, currently) are at least 10 years old as well.

All I really have to say about files is 'they don't make them like they used to'. My best are made in England. Still sharp after years of abuse - that's some good steel there.
Last edited by Josh66 on Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Don

Familiar Face

Post Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:16 am

Josh66 wrote:What is a "decent" price for these? I saw some on Amazon, and I was a little shocked at how expensive they are.

I'm an aircraft mechanic - I have a lot of expensive tools, and a lot of files. I have never even heard of a file that cost this much.

If using two files instead of one means I save $40 ... I think I'll keep my $40.

I would suggest you beg or borrow 1 .... you will find the difference to be like riding an old bicycle with a flat tire and bent wheel or riding in the back of a limousine with a fully stocked bar and 2 friendly young ladies.
:)
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:40 pm

Don wrote:I would suggest you beg or borrow 1 .... you will find the difference to be like riding an old bicycle with a flat tire and bent wheel or riding in the back of a limousine with a fully stocked bar and 2 friendly young ladies.
:)

I'm glad I wasn't drinking milk when I read that. It would have come out my nose.
Next

Return to Pin Tumbler Impressioning