FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

New to me. Impressioning a credit card.

<<

Josephus

Post Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:03 pm

New to me. Impressioning a credit card.

A ten minute project.

I have started collecting used gift cards and those fake credit cards from junk mail. Finally getting around to doing something with them...

It works!
Works.jpg

Comparison to the original.
Results.jpg

I cut the strip high and rested it on the wards. Easier to sharpie a side and turn in that direction for an impression. You can see the first pin gave me troubles.

Didn't work at first. There was some bending in the valleys. I cut a sliver off the bottom and that did it. Elasticity was the problem.

Will this work on a decent lock? Maybe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:29 pm

Re: New to me. Impressioning a credit card.

Did you just move the plastic to impression it or did you use an additional tensioner?
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

Josephus

Post Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:55 pm

I used the tensioner. The plastic moves too much and gives too much for rocking or rotation.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:22 pm

Have done that one time before, and it is a different experience. It is also one of the reasons I also collect the plastic fake credit cards. If there is no solid ward to cut it to, it is more difficult.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Werewolf

Familiar Face

Post Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:57 am

I don't think that would work on a paracentric keyway.
"Who are you and how did you get in here ?"
"I'm the locksmith , and i'm a locksmith"
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:33 pm

Werewolf wrote:I don't think that would work on a paracentric keyway.

It will if there is a solid flat ward for it to brace against. But something like a Yale? Yeah, good luck with that.

Have any of you tried impressioning using a 3D printed key blank? Have been considering giving it a shot some day. Same general idea as the credit card method, but perhaps it might work on those paracentric keyways. Just an idea.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Logi87

Post Mon May 18, 2020 11:15 am

Please bare with me....I'am new to this website.

I have been trying to impression a Master Trigger lock model # 90DSPT for a month now. I'am able to get the pin spacing marks without any problem. Have picked this lock 4 times (no key) and measured pins #1 and #3 to be about .150" As far as I can determine this lock is "sealed" or the cylinder is not removeable. Have broken keys when #1 position goes too deep. I have made a multicolor light box for monitoring impressions and have even made a fiber optic light so as to see inside the keyway.

However.... sometimes I thing I'am close but to no avail. After reading the plastic credit card post, I'am trying that.

My question is ….. is the plastic just for obtaining marks or do you continue to fabricate a key. I think I have about worn the lock out and am tempted to pry the shell apart! I have a #4 swiss 6 " file to which I still use 1200 grit sandpaper to polish.

Any help advice would be greatly appreciated.

Return to Pin Tumbler Impressioning