FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Any one using Valtitan Files for Impressioning?

<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:18 am

Any one using Valtitan Files for Impressioning?

I've been looking at Valtitan files made by Grobet since I'm always really hesitant to impression steel blanks with my regular Grobet pippin. I was thinking of buying Valtitan 6" round, but on the minus side they don't come in a 4 cut. Another option that does come in a 4 cut is a 7" Valtitan Needle file.

I was wondering what files you guys are using for impressioning steel blanks. Anyone got any experience of using a Valtitan file for impressioning steel blanks? Worth it? Unsuitable? Unnecessary?

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:55 pm

Re: Any one using Valtitan Files for Impressioning?

Hey Mr. never tried these but am I looking for some good quality files. I'll see what the price is like and whether I can get them over here if not I may order some and get them shipped to my Mom's in England. Or are they fairly easy to get there such as hardware stores and such?

ETA: Found a supplier. Out of my range but some interesting products.
http://www.ottofrei.com/Pippin-Hand-Files/

Sorry Mr. I didn't check your links and went web wandering first. Ended up at the right place anyway.
Last edited by Doogs on Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The other, other, other, other Mike

(21:55:20) HAL 9001RC:: Heh heh uh heh uh heh uh uh heh PhoneMan said ass
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:06 pm

Doogs wrote:Hey Mr. never tried these but am I looking for some good quality files. I'll see what the price is like and whether I can get them over here if not I may order some and get them shipped to my Mom's in England. Or are they fairly easy to get there such as hardware stores and such?

I usually buy these sorts of tools from Otto Frei. See my links above.

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

oldlock

Familiar Face

Post Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:22 pm

Unnecessary I would say.

Use : 131.298
Bramah Australasia
http://www.bramah.com.au

The above link has been approved by the site admin.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:42 am

Great topic, something I have been thinking about myself. I currently use an assortment of cheapo cheapo needle files ($5) for all of my needs but recently was shown a swiss 4 cut round file and fell in love. Then also realize all of the real impressioners use the same or very similar file. Next I went to my lockie and used his catalog to check for the prices and it was $71.49. Now I havent ordered anything from this catalog yet but I know the prices are retail but still for one file $71? Does it do the filing for me? Is it worth it or a rip?
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:18 am

Pippin files ARE very expensive. It's not a super common shape, and they are made in much finer sizes.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:20 am

Papa Gleb wrote:Great topic, something I have been thinking about myself. I currently use an assortment of cheapo cheapo needle files ($5) for all of my needs but recently was shown a swiss 4 cut round file and fell in love. Then also realize all of the real impressioners use the same or very similar file. Next I went to my lockie and used his catalog to check for the prices and it was $71.49. Now I havent ordered anything from this catalog yet but I know the prices are retail but still for one file $71? Does it do the filing for me? Is it worth it or a rip?

When you mention a $70 file, I'm thinking you've seen a Gorbet Pippin file. Great file. You can also do a great job with a Grobet Round file and spend a lot less. Using a Pippin or a Round is just personal preference, just as milk chocolate or plain chocolate :smile:

Whichever you choose, go for a 4 cut. This will give you a lot more control on how much material you're filing away, and a much smoother surface to see the marks on.

MrAnybody's Locks

<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:57 am

"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:57 pm

Wizard, thanks for the link mate. Have you or anyone ordered files from this side? Are they good quality? I also just realized, I have no idea what diameter to get, the catalog I seen only had one size but this size has several. What is the standard diameter used for impressioning/key making?

Sorry to jump off topic, but does anyone know any good sites for locksmith stuff but cheap? I realize for some strange reason locksmith supplies are SOOOO expensive and for no real reason. ONE plug follower is $10-15 for a piece of plastic that probably costs $1 to make or is the manufactures of the supplies that rack the prices?
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:09 pm

Papa Gleb wrote:
Sorry to jump off topic, but does anyone know any good sites for locksmith stuff but cheap? ............

:slam: :slam: :slam:

Sir, you have the really cool capability of creating a new topic on the forum. Please feel free to use it.

Not just off topic, but also wrong forum section.

MrAnybody's Locks

<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:44 pm

Grobet Swiss #4
6" x 1/4"

The answer to pricing of locksmith tools is the number of locksmiths there are compared to other trades.
Not as many sales can't make a million of them to offset production run costs.
My dad taught me early in life buy the best tools you can afford and make the ones you can and make them better.

Answer to price of followers is buy the best metal one you can buy for each lock you need it for never buy another long as you live. Only need one for Sargent, Corbin/Russwin, Weiser, Weslock, and a .395 for small cylinder. HPC Hollow follower set when you need it. Sargent one I use for everything about 80 % of all locks with .500 dia cylinder it is the go to follower for all it will fit. There will always be some cylinder you may have to improvise something to work. Packs of real shims are a must have just buy em use them when you need to bridge over where the follower just don't fit close enough.

There that should be far enough off topic now. :hammering:
"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:34 pm

Thanks for all the info Richard. Back to topic: Ill add some more info after this swiss file arrives :)
<<

RubberBanned

Post Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:12 pm

I have tons of Grobet files, from needle, round, pippins, etc. I always find my way back to a #4 round file. They're absolutely the easiest to use. Pippin files are nice, but, they can leave inconsistent troughs if you're not careful, which will change your marking surface. The taper of a round can be used to avoid canyoning, as well. If I'm caught without my originator, and I need to sell the key I'm impressioning, I will use a pippin, but I really do prefer a round or half round.

Return to Pin Tumbler Impressioning