FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Avocet ABS 3 star euro cylinder as fallen - open in minutes

<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:25 am

Avocet ABS 3 star euro cylinder as fallen - open in minutes

New tool out for this lock - means one of the most secure locks can be opened in minutes - no damage

the redline abs defeater - sold at sks - tradelocks there is a vid up
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:25 pm

Re: Avocet ABS 3 star euro cylinder as fallen - open in minu

is there a link?
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:58 pm

mastersmith wrote:is there a link?

This I believe. https://www.sks.co.uk/locksmith-tools/bypass-tools/redline-abs-lock-defeater/en

Appears to be a self impressioning tool with a replaceable pad.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

spuds

Familiar Face

Post Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:02 pm

This one ?
http://www.ukbumpkeys.com/products/prof ... star-locks
Even Duct tape can't fix stupid But it can muffle the sound ! ;-)
Jim
<<

Patrick Star

Post Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:26 pm

Maybe this is more of a philosophical issue, but...
Are any pure (non-sidebar) pin tumblers actually "high security"?
As in, you can expect that opening them non-destructively will take a certain minimum amount of time regardless of custom tools and general lock-fu.
Note: I'm not saying all pin tumblers are easy to pick (ha-ha!). Just that they are inherently vulnerable to a lot of attacks and that even when locks are a bitch to SPP you can still expect that other attacks will be reasonably quick if adapted to this particular type of lock/keyway.

Few locks can be expected to give you more than, say, 30 minutes of resistance under these circumstances of course, but there's a whole lot of difference between 30 minutes (or even 10-15) and 3 when it comes to attack detectability and effectiveness of layered security.
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:23 pm

Riy as kindly linked this vid - not seen the vid by uk bumpkeys also linked
spuds wrote:

This one ?
http://www.ukbumpkeys.com/products/prof ... star-locks

not seen this vid - goes more into detail - 5 key blades with magnets - tension tool - pads
Patrick Star wrote:Maybe this is more of a philosophical issue, but...
Are any pure (non-sidebar) pin tumblers actually "high security"?
As in, you can expect that opening them non-destructively will take a certain minimum amount of time regardless of custom tools and general lock-fu.
Note: I'm not saying all pin tumblers are easy to pick (ha-ha!). Just that they are inherently vulnerable to a lot of attacks and that even when locks are a bitch to SPP you can still expect that other attacks will be reasonably quick if adapted to this particular type of lock/keyway.

Few locks can be expected to give you more than, say, 30 minutes of resistance under these circumstances of course, but there's a whole lot of difference between 30 minutes (or even 10-15) and 3 when it comes to attack detectability and effectiveness of layered security.

2 - mins who would have thought ... fallen I would say is a understatement lol ... get your sticky pads out boys
<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:26 pm

I got to have a close look at this tool tonight. It is its 2nd generation because the first one came with 5 'blanks'; one for each possible position of the magnetic pin...now the whole thing is magnetised so it does not matter where the magnet needs to be, all bases are covered.

Anyway, it is NOT NDE. It breaks off the inner pins (gulp). So there is no way you'd want to leave the lock on the door after using this. It works by a crummy foam strip that self impressions the outer pins. The idea is that you use it for one opening then glue a fresh one into the hole. Then, once the outer pins have self-impressioned you shear the inner pins off. That's why the handle is so big. They also had to change the steel of the original tool because it kept shearing (shocker China). Unfortunately we did not have an ABS handy to destroy but should have tomorrow night. I love the simplicity of using a foam strip, it's just a shame they couldn't get it to work on the inner pins too and make it 100% NDE.

I hear that the lock has now been redesigned again so the inner pins are now stronger. The arms race has begun :akimbo:

Incidentally, the Avocet ABS is very easy to pick by hand. NDE. It has 3 sets of trap pins that are easy to pick out of too, just in case you try it and get pissed off that the lock seems broken. I imagine that the loose tolerances that allow the foam attack to work (or not, we'll see soon) are what makes it easy to pick too. For a pin-in-pin lock, it is not fit to lace the MTL Classic's boots.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:56 am

huxleypig wrote:I love the simplicity of using a foam strip, it's just a shame they couldn't get it to work on the inner pins too and make it 100% NDE.

I love that idea too. I'll try to apply it to another lock that is giving me a hard time.

Cheers :)

PS: Nice find 10ringo10!

Return to Pin Tumbler Impressioning