FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Traditional impressioning of double-bitted lever locks?

<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:43 pm

Traditional impressioning of double-bitted lever locks?

We have here in safes a lot of double-bitted lever locks where the levers have no springs. So the key bit has contact on both sides of the lever and the length of both sides together is constant. An example is shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6aBwEdxdkM

I wonder if it is possible to do impressioning with some sort of simple key blank. My guess is no. A standard key blank has full bitting size on both sides. My guess the key gets stuck and shows impressions either on both sides or always on the same side but gives no indication where to remove material. A halve key blank, i.e. one where the rear bitting has been removed, will probably give good indications, but non on all levers because due to missing springs friction between the levers will "overlift" some levers and the process gets stuck.

What do you think?
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:12 am

Re: Traditional impressioning of double-bitted lever locks?

I think that when impressioning the spring makes it harder. If there's a spring you may get some small marks that you may misinterpret as true marks. If there are no springs the only marks you get are from the lever binding.

That said, by looking at the video you linked, I think that a half blank may work. Gravity should be enough to keep the levers down. You only need to work on the upper part of the key.

Cheers :)
<<

Jaakko Fagerlund

Post Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:26 am

As long as you get the lock internals binding, you can get markings on the blank from the locking elements to show which one is incorrectly positioned. If you however manage to separate the functions (tensioning & wiggling the blank), you are close to a form-pick or auto-impressioning tool.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:30 am

A bit rapping might help to get the levers falling down. I will try it.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt

Return to Pin Tumbler Impressioning