FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

First impressions

<<

Random

Familiar Face

Post Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:51 pm

First impressions

image.jpg
I Impressioned my first lock recently, waisted a few keys but got it finally. Did 2 more last night, I'll post pics tonight.
I plan on cutting a key from this one. I have a feeling that this key is a little weak from all the action. Does anyone have any tips on how I should proceed with the finishing look of this key?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

farmall

Familiar Face

Post Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:47 pm

Re: First impressions

good job...I.ve been wanting to try this. What file are you using?
macgng; it's completely unnecessary to have ~15$ in keys for a 50¢ lock ... but we all do it anyway :P
<<

Random

Familiar Face

Post Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:13 pm

Thanks, I've been using a 1/4" chainsaw file because that's all I had on hand. It made the dots and marks tough to see as the chainsaw file leaves rather course lines. By the time my proper files come I feel this process will be much easier. It's awesome to have a funtional lock now and not just a pickable paper weight.
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:52 pm

Congrats on your first key :)
I did my first one with a chainsaw file as well :-)

Random wrote: Does anyone have any tips on how I should proceed with the finishing look of this key?

I work on the principal of if its not broken then don't fix it ;) . I would just have a copy made and as long as it works just leave it as is.
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
<<

twenglish 1

Post Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:59 pm

I have yet to succeed on my first impression, made a few attempts of an old 5 pin master, my problem is not the right file, I used the finest one I had available, but it was still too rough to see the marks, will get back to it once I get a proper file
<<

farmall

Familiar Face

Post Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:05 pm

Random wrote:
image.jpg
Does anyone have any tips on how I should proceed with the finishing look of this key?

Buy a $1500 HPC blitz code machine. But for a $4.00 lock. Leave it be.
macgng; it's completely unnecessary to have ~15$ in keys for a 50¢ lock ... but we all do it anyway :P
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:37 pm

twenglish 1 wrote:I have yet to succeed on my first impression, made a few attempts of an old 5 pin master, my problem is not the right file, I used the finest one I had available, but it was still too rough to see the marks, will get back to it once I get a proper file

try using layout blue on the top of the key and then you can use any file ;)
http://www.amazon.com/Dykem-80300-Steel ... 0018ACR6G/ that bottle would probably last about 50 years if you used it just for impressioning.
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:46 pm

Nice job! Exciting isn't it?!

Random wrote:.....anyone have any tips on how I should proceed with the finishing look of this key?

So what kind of "finished look" are you wanting to achieve?
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:14 am

Random, congrats on your first key impressioned. Is that a Wally padlock?

Anarchy_won, the layout blue looks a great idea. I'll try it next time instead of smoothing out the filed surface with sandpaper.

Cheers :)
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:12 am

congrads on your first key. The door is wide open now for mastering this skill. If you dont want to buy the blueing then just use a blue sharpie marker, works the same and cheaper too. But make sure to use blue as blank can mix with the dirt of the lock and you wont know whats what. And believe me once the impressioning file will come, the game will change. Its such a huge difference especially on older locks which have been daily used for 10-30 years and with their pins squared.
<<

farmall

Familiar Face

Post Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:33 am

What files did you order??? I was a little sticker shocked when I looked up pippin files.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:16 pm

It is a priced crazy especially compared to a round file with the same #4 cut but I think it takes much more work to make a pippin which explains the price tag. I think a round file is more than enough for a beginner and even a pro. Lets use Jos for example who uses a round file and Im sure I dont need to explain his lever of expertise
<<

farmall

Familiar Face

Post Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:38 pm

Papa Gleb wrote:It is a priced crazy especially compared to a round file with the same #4 cut but I think it takes much more work to make a pippin which explains the price tag. I think a round file is more than enough for a beginner and even a pro. Lets use Jos for example who uses a round file and Im sure I dont need to explain his lever of expertise

Jos uses only rounds?
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:02 pm

In all of the videos I have seen yes. He has several files but for actual impressioning he only uses round. He has a round for brass blanks and another exact same for steel blanks. Again this is from all of the videos of him impressioning that I saw and I think I have seen them all on yt
<<

Random

Familiar Face

Post Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:30 pm

Anarchy_won wrote:
twenglish 1 wrote:I have yet to succeed on my first impression, made a few attempts of an old 5 pin master, my problem is not the right file, I used the finest one I had available, but it was still too rough to see the marks, will get back to it once I get a proper file

try using layout blue on the top of the key and then you can use any file ;)
http://www.amazon.com/Dykem-80300-Steel ... 0018ACR6G/ that bottle would probably last about 50 years if you used it just for impressioning.

Thanks for the tip. Ive thought about getting some. I do some light machining and metal work in the shop, Im sure id find other uses for it. I have some old graphite compound my dad picked up 25 years ago, Its still over half full.lol
Next

Return to Pin Tumbler Impressioning