FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Help me choose some blanks to buy

<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:24 pm

Re: Help me choose some blanks to buy

femurat wrote:Now that you mention it, the keys were listed as brass but probably aren't. These are all chrome plated so I doubt it's brass. How can I be sure?

File it and look at the shavings. Sometimes they plate brass blanks. The first couple strokes will take off the plating, then you can see the core metal underneath.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:17 am

Re: Help me choose some blanks to buy

I'm wondering if there's a foolproof way to tell if it's brass or nickel silver, apart from the color.
I remember that when I filed the key the color was less yellow than brass, it looked more whitish. But I'm not sure because I wasn't paying attention to that.
Here is a picture of one of the keys I got. They all look the same. http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q67 ... cyyjt9.jpg

Cheers :)
Previous

Return to Pin Tumbler Impressioning