FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Help me choose some blanks to buy

<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:33 am

Help me choose some blanks to buy

I'm going to buy a few blanks to keep handy for impressioning. I was going to buy a dozen off ebay but I thought it is wiser to ask for advice here.
I think I need a few CISA, Corbin and Yale.
Is there a good website to check profiles? For example, I know I want a Silca UL 050 that fits a lock I have, but I'm not sure about equivalents I've found for sale.
Also, is the Y1 a good choice for Yale? Or there's a longer one that may fit both the 5 and 6 pins locks?

<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:56 am

Re: Help me choose some blanks to buy

Also, if anybody knows which blank would fit my castell padlock... viewtopic.php?f=111&t=11554

<<

Werewolf

Familiar Face

Post Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:01 am

You can download Silca's key blank catalog from their site.
For Cisa , your best bet is the CS206 , corbin CB6 , Yale is the YA1 or YA226. Those are the standard keyways.
Don't use UL050 unless you can find a better blank. That is the universal profile and it is quite thin. thicker blanks are more durable.
"Who are you and how did you get in here ?"
"I'm the locksmith , and i'm a locksmith"
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:00 am

Thanks, that's exactly the answer I was looking for.

Isn't the UL050 a better choice for impressioning? If it's thinner it should wiggle more. Of course I'll have to copy it to a thicker blank for everyday use.

Cheers :)
<<

macgng

Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...
Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...

Post Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:36 pm

Nibbler: The poop-eradication is but one aspect of your importance.
<<

WestCoastPicks

Familiar Face

Post Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:10 pm

I think he means it's thinner as in, you'll get more breaks while impressioning. If you're good at it and don't get many breaks, it probably won't be an issue.
<<

selim

Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist
Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist

Post Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:15 pm

Your right, but the thinner blank is made to pass a few different keyway's. I think it's called multi - plex
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:55 am

Thanks to all for the additional info. I usually don't break blanks, but I've just broken a shim... inside a lock obviously. I managed to partially open it and remove the piece that got stuck inside the first pin chamber. I'll look for the other piece later since it's not causing trouble.

<<

Werewolf

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:23 am

selim wrote:Your right, but the thinner blank is made to pass a few different keyway's. I think it's called multi - plex

Not exactely.
Multi-plexing is when a lock manufacturer designs several blanks and a master blank that fits all of them. It's used in (large) master key systems.
Usually these blanks have generally the same shape , but some of the ridges (wards) are different. The master blank just has less of (or none of) the ridges.

In this situation , it's several different keyways from various manufacturers. Silca and other key blank companies make a blank that fits in a lot of different , but similar keyways.
These blanks are much thinner than the original blanks. That is why they are more likely to break in daily use. They should be ok for impressioning , if you're carefull.

Have a look at the Ultra-Lite keys that Silca has. They are made from a softer aluminium alloy , they should be easier to impression with. But again , not recommended for daily use.

The UL050 will probably not fit the Corbin lock. They have a different keyway than most.
"Who are you and how did you get in here ?"
"I'm the locksmith , and i'm a locksmith"
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:08 am

Werewolf wrote:
selim wrote:Your right, but the thinner blank is made to pass a few different keyway's. I think it's called multi - plex

Not exactely.
Multi-plexing is when a lock manufacturer designs several blanks and a master blank that fits all of them. It's used in (large) master key systems.
Usually these blanks have generally the same shape , but some of the ridges (wards) are different. The master blank just has less of (or none of) the ridges.

In this situation , it's several different keyways from various manufacturers. Silca and other key blank companies make a blank that fits in a lot of different , but similar keyways.
These blanks are much thinner than the original blanks. That is why they are more likely to break in daily use. They should be ok for impressioning , if you're carefull.

Have a look at the Ultra-Lite keys that Silca has. They are made from a softer aluminium alloy , they should be easier to impression with. But again , not recommended for daily use.

The UL050 will probably not fit the Corbin lock. They have a different keyway than most.

I'e be worried about the aluminum clogging up my file. Yes I have and use a file card, but still aluminum does like to clog.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:18 am

I agree Gordon, I only have one #4 Swiss file and I don't want to use it on anything but brass!

I ended up buying some YA6, CS206, YA226 and some Viro profiles. All of them should be brass if the seller has them listed correctly.

<<

Shifty1

Post Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:47 am

I've impressioned quite a few locks and in my experience nickel plated keys are fine for pin tumbler impressioning. Brass keys are at the heart of the matter. As to key makers well anything short of aluminum keys are ok. I would caution about using similarly warded, loose fitting keys. By this I mean say using kwikset blanks to impression weiser locks. You want to keep things proprietary by way of fit to achieve proper marks.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:45 am

Shifty1 wrote:You want to keep things proprietary by way of fit to achieve proper marks.

I try to do that if I can. Sometimes I use what I have handy.

<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:53 am

femurat wrote:I agree Gordon, I only have one #4 Swiss file and I don't want to use it on anything but brass!

I ended up buying some YA6, CS206, YA226 and some Viro profiles. All of them should be brass if the seller has them listed correctly.

You got a link to the retailer you bought your brass blanks? I've not seen Viro profiles in brass. I'd definitely like a few.

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:12 pm

Now that you mention it, the keys were listed as brass but probably aren't. These are all chrome plated so I doubt it's brass. How can I be sure?
Next

Return to Pin Tumbler Impressioning