FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

2010 Dimple Lock Picking Contest Rules

<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:45 pm

2010 Dimple Lock Picking Contest Rules

Advanced Class Dimple Lock Picking Competition

• Advanced Contest begins 00:00 Hrs UTC Sept. 6, 2010 thru 24:00 Hrs UTC (midnight) Sept. 30th 2010. Dates for Beginner Contest TBA once the Advanced Contest has been completed.

Eligibility Requirements - All Contestants must:

A) Be 18 years or older. No exceptions!

B) Be members of the forum for a minimum of six (6) months

C) Have a minimum of 60 posts on the forum

D) Not have had any disciplinary actions or suspensions on the forum for at least six (6) months PRIOR to the commencement date of the contest.

E) Length of membership and post count minimum requirements are waived for members that (i) are moderators or admins, (ii) or have made paid donations/contributions to the forum, and (iii) have had no disciplinary actions against them as per Item D, above.

F) Must display their locations in their profile. If you don't show your location, go to your UCP (user control panel) at the TOP LEFT HAND CORNER of the page and fill it in now.

• There will be two classes of entry: Beginner and Advanced

• Goal: To pick your most difficult removable core dimple lock (either padlock, euro-profile cylinder, or rim/mortise cylinder) containing no less than five (5) pins, in the least amount of time - and post the deed on YouTube. Basic dimple locks are not permitted, all locks in this competition MUST be high security dimple locks!

• High Security is defined as: Any pin tumbler dimple lock, utilizing a minimum of three (3) security pins. Security pins can be serrated, mushroom, spool, etc.

• Title your YouTube video exactly as follows: “KP Advanced Dimple Lockpicking Competition - Beginner” or “KP Advanced Dimple Lockpicking Competition – Advanced”

• Picking must be recorded in one continuous shot – no cuts, fades, or pauses.

• Clearly show your key bitting against a black background before commencing. Time commences when the pick enters the keyway.

• Locks must be mounted horizontally as they would be in actual use, whether in a lockboard or vise.

• Once picked, you must gut the lock and clearly show individual key and driver pin types, all while continuously recording.

• Lock must be SPP'd (single pin picked).

• RAKING, PICKGUNS, OR OTHER FORMS OF DESTRUCTIVE BYPASSING ARE NOT PERMITTED.

PICKING TOOLS ARE RESTRICTED TO ONLY ONE (1) SHORT HOOK, HALF DIAMOND, OR "PROPER" DIMPLE PICK AND ONE (1) TENSION WRENCH – MULTIPLE TOOL/WRENCH ASSORTMENTS ARE NOT PERMITTED. HOMEBREW PICKS ARE PERMITTED!
****** See Addendum http://keypicking.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3876&p=31415#p31415 for clarification and opening of parts of the restrictions of this rule ******

• You earn 0 to a maximum of 20 points. 5 for time (only time spent actually picking, time gutting/dismantling is not counted,) 5 for bitting difficulty, 5 for amount/type of security pins, and 5 for the lock quality/difficulty.

• You can also earn two (2) extra points for picking a lock containing six (6) or more pins, for a maximum overall combined point score of 22. Pin-in-pin does NOT count as double the number of pins!

• The two (2) best entries in each class will be chosen by the KeyPicking moderators and the final winner in each class chosen by Alan at UKLP for Advanced Contest and final arbiter TBD for Beginner Contest.

• The winner in the Beginner class will receive a dimple pick set from http://Lockpickshop.com, while the Advanced class winner will receive $50 USD (Put up by the man himself Hallis) AND two dimple locks from Alan @ UKLockpickers.co.uk http://UKLockpickers.co.uk (a Tesa and an Iseo.) The $50 prize will be sent via PayPal – no exceptions.

• Anyone participating in the advanced class competition will be disqualified from entry into the beginner class competition to follow. Known advanced pickers WILL NOT be allowed entry into the beginner competition, so don't even think about it!

• Beginners are welcome to enter this competition, but it is not in your interest to do so, as you will probably not win and not be able to enter the beginner competition! No exceptions!

• If you don't like the rules, don't enter the competition as they are not negotiable.

[Edit: Added euro profile cylinder to list of acceptable locks - HC

Added definition of "high security.]

[Edit: Added notice of addendum to pick type restrictions - Elbow]
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
<<

KokomoLock

Professor Emeritus Of Lockpickology and Smithery

Post Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:48 pm

Re: 2010 Dimple Lock Picking Contest Rules

Can we have a list of high security dimple locks??? I was just wondering if a MTL Garrison 7 pin is considered high security or is it classic and up?
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:02 pm

KokomoLock wrote:Can we have a list of high security dimple locks??? I was just wondering if a MTL Garrison 7 pin is considered high security or is it classic and up?

Well, Kokomo, I am not well versed in the myriad brands of dimple locks out there, so I wouldn't begin to venture creating an all-encompassing list. Because, you know that as soon as we put together such a list, someone is going to get miffed that we didn't list their XYZ brand or the new whiz-bang YadaYada 5000 with hydraulic spools.

So I think the proof of the "high security-ness" of a lock will be revealed in the gutting process - where we get to see the pins that are actually in the lock itself.

If one contestant submits an entry that has all regular pins - well, that will certainly put him at a huge disadvantage against another contestant that enters a lock full of spools and serrated pins.

I think that process would tend to work itself out as we get to review each submission and see what types of pins are in the lock.

Now, keeping that thought in mind - it would be to a contestants advantage to seriously take a look at the lock they are considering as their entry piece. If you take your lock apart and discover it has been loaded with regular pins - then I feel that replacing those pins with true high-security pins "Franken-lock" style would perfectly acceptable.

After all, the rules do not specify that the lock must be NIB, out of the package. By adapting and modifying the lock with self-inflicted pin substitutions, you not only enhance your personal difficulty factor but you thus increase your potential point totals.

I think this concept will work - what say you?
:idea:
<<

LocksmithArmy

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:10 pm

when i was starting all tis biz... i learned that high security means it has more than one locking mechanism... an everest (nomatter how simple) would be high security... so what part of a garrison is hs? (no seriously out of curiosity... i picked a garrison and i dont consider it hs...

but if having hs pins makes it hs according to the contest that is cool too. im not sayin fact just what i thought hs ment.
Pokey wrote:"Come and get me, loser! Spankity spankity spankity!"
<<

KokomoLock

Professor Emeritus Of Lockpickology and Smithery

Post Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:22 pm

Sounds good to me. One other question, will a Euro Profile cylinder be accepted, since the rules state "removable core dimple lock (either padlock or rim/mortise cylinder)". If it is a euro profile cylinder that can be gutted is that ok?
Last edited by KokomoLock on Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:51 pm

KokomoLock wrote:Sounds good to me. One other question, will a Euro Profile cylinder be excepted, since the rules state "removable core dimple lock (either padlock or rim/mortise cylinder)". If it is a euro profile cylinder that can be gutted is that ok?

Yes, a euro-profile cylinder is acceptable. Rules have been edited to reflect this change.
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:34 pm

LocksmithArmy wrote:when i was starting all tis biz... i learned that high security means it has more than one locking mechanism... an everest (nomatter how simple) would be high security... so what part of a garrison is hs? (no seriously out of curiosity... i picked a garrison and i dont consider it hs...

but if having hs pins makes it hs according to the contest that is cool too. im not sayin fact just what i thought hs ment.

I understand that technically, the definition of "high security" can vary, depending on what standard is used to gauge the security rating. But as a professional, I'm sure you realize that every lock manufacturer has their own standard definition of high sec locks.

Consequently, without getting into the various semantics and forensic/legal definitions that can come into play when defining high security, I feel that making a simple definition is much more preferable than trying to prepare a cumbersome list.

So, for the sole purpose of this competition, a "high security" lock is:

"Any pin tumbler dimple lock, utilizing a minimum of three (3) security pins. Security pins can be serrated, mushroom, spool, etc."

Please don't ask what the definition of "is" is.
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:37 pm

Addendum to rules: Clarification of allowed picks for contest

I have been asked by several people about the allowed pick types. So, here is some clarification and some loosening of the previously stated rule as some dimple locks are more appropriately picked with more than one pick in the process.

If you are using "standard" dimple picks:
You may use more than one in the process as you have the left up/right up/left down/right down/flat/etc... which may be necessary to pick the lock.

If you are using a hook or half diamond:
Yes, is so inclined a Peterson gem style pick or an offset diamond is ok.

In addition, a ball/half ball is also acceptable as they are similar enough in design to many "standard" dimple picks.

The loosening of the restriction on more than one pick applies to these others as well.

Also, you may not have more than one pick in the keyway simultaneously. I know it seems obvious, but I just know someone's going to ask if it's not stated.

The restriction to a single tension wrench still applies.

"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:31 am

NOTICE

Advanced Pickers!

2010 Dimple Lock Contest Has Begun!

Good luck!

Return to Contests