FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

How to open this lock

<<

.45cal

Global Moderator

Post Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:52 pm

How to open this lock

have messed with this lock for a good portion of the day and I can not get it open! I admit that I have never picked a lever lock before and that probably doesn't help but it wont go. The keyway/curtain just spins so no tension can be applied to it. I ground down a flat key I had and was able (I believe) to tension the bolt but I couldn't get any kind of feedback. Any help would be appreciated. maybe easier to impression than pick??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Tue May 01, 2012 6:54 am

Re: How to open this lock

The only curtain that I know of that just spins when you turn it is the Era Invincible (I think?) but this doesn't look like that!

If the keyway spins then it could be:
1) A tubar that's had it's anti-twist pins broke (doesn't look like a tubar)
2) Simply a faceplate to hamper tensioning the lock (this shouldn't hamper it much though, just use a longer tension wrench)

Any other ideas guys?
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue May 01, 2012 7:33 am

Here's a link to HPC's letter box tension tools. I have these and more that I fashioned out of vvarious gauges and strengths of wire.

Some lever locks have the foot of the trunion attached to it, so that you can tension it from the part that you see (called the nose, on safe deposit locks.). Others are free acting, so that you have to independently tension them with these tools. Looks like yours fits in the latter group.

Yes, they are eminently easier to impression keys for, than to pick.

http://www.hpcworld.com/px/tensiontools ... index.html
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

NKT

Post Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:16 am

Thread necromancy continues:
This looks like a Yale or Lowe & Fletcher lever lock. The bit you can see is called the nozzle, and is just a rotating ward. The lock also has fixed wards in the nozzle to annoy you.
At the back is 4 (5?) levers and the bolt. There is a ZA masterkey, but that won't help here I expect. Flat steel keys. Bastards to cut, so good luck impressioning beyond the wards.

Return to Lever Locks