FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

bumping is hard for me, any probs for you? any tips?

<<

Magic1

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:54 am

Re: bumping is hard for me, any probs for you? any tips?

Seeing the three keys in the picture reminded me that in UK we usually buy a set with three different cuts. I have numbered mine. On what appear to be two identical locks, key 2 will open one and key 3 will open the other, so it is important to have the right cut for a given lock and that means more than one bump key.

I would recommend buying a set of three professionally cut bump keys. When they arrive, carefully de-burr them and give the flanks of the cuts a light polish and that should increase your success rate dramatically.
Last edited by Magic1 on Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

wadar

Post Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:27 am

elbowmacaroni wrote:Looks like wardar is a necromancer... spooky... LOL!

what one of those
<<

aka.decoy

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:20 am

wadar wrote:
elbowmacaroni wrote:Looks like wardar is a necromancer... spooky... LOL!

what one of those

Haha! Hilarious. What's even funnier is how late my comment is.
"Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina."

-Ron Burgundy
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:34 pm

I"ll chime in about bumping. Bumping is what got me into locks and picks. I always used the back of a wooden spoon. Ya gotta strick that sucker just right to get that kenetic energy into that key.
The way I made mine was I bought some "depth keys" off fleabay. I then found some good keys to work with in making my bump keys (heights and stuff). Then I put them together and drew a line with a ruler with a fine tip sharpie from the center of the valleys of the "depth keys" onto my bump key that I was going to make. After I had my lines in order I then used a square file and a vice and carefully cut down into the lines that I had made. In my experience you dont want to go cutting all the way down one line then go to the next...That seemed to throw off the angle of the peaks I was trying to make. I would take a little meat off the first line...go to the second....then the third....and so on... In my experience that made more consistent cuts leading to more consistent peaks and valleys... Also I found they worked better when NOT taking too much meat off the key. I mean not going all the way down to the blade of the key. As I said, this is just how I did but I think everyone has there own way of doing it for the best outcome. It was a pain in the ass because I'm a perfectionist. So it would take me a while. OH also you can take a bit off the shoulder so it doesnt hit the top of the plug. And also take a bit off the tip so the key doesnt jam all the way to the back of the cylinder when you strike the key. After you have your key made just pull out one or two "clicks" and try and strike the key dead center and put a little tension on it at the same time. Like others have said, a TW works good for this. It starts to hurt after a while of hitting your fingers over and over with that spoon lol....I'm no pro at this as I like to pick. I havent bumped a lock in ages.....I'm just giving you a little insight of how I got started with picking. Please dissreguard the typos...I cant spell for shit......

Riff
:hbg:
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:28 pm

my advice his simple,put a spring on your bump key.
you will never have a problem again.
enough said.

HAPPY BUMPING
Previous

Return to Bump Keys