FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

bypass tools

<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:13 pm

bypass tools

check out Cappopper.com. Saw this bypass tool on E-bay the other day.
Think it worth the price?
<<

DIY Dave

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:17 pm

Re: bypass tools

$44 to avoid spending 1 minute picking a kwikset deadbolt-not worth it

In the Schlage lever demo his hand is beside the lock. If it were a real door his hand would be inside the door

Looks like a gimmick to me. I guess it could be worth it if there was a pin seized up and picking wasn't an option. Even then I don't think it would work. If there was some reason it couldn't be picked, I would just drill out those cheap locks
<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:38 pm

There are many ways to remove a handle and this tool does look good but I guess it is rather model specific.
Last edited by huxleypig on Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

UnlockD

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:52 pm

Something like the American padlock bypass tool may be worth your money but as said above - don't waste your money on a lock that can easily be picked. It just doesn't make sense financially - whether it's used professionally or used in locksport.
<<

McLinda

Post Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:15 pm

I have to agree with these guys, not worth it. I have searched online for such tools (usually out of frustration at a lock I couldn't pick) but I've found that if I just grind the right size wrench for the lock, it always works for me. I have purchased a set of picks before (two wrenches) but haven't used them in years. I don't even know where they are. If you know what you need, just grind it out of windshield wiper blades yourself.

That being said, I still want a shove-it tool, just to see if it works. But, I can't figure out what to make it out of (paint scraper seems too stiff) and I may end up buying one.
But maybe you are like me, and just want to see if it will work as advertised, not because you cant open it yourself. If so, it's still more fun to make yourself.
<<

flywheel

Post Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:53 pm

UnlockD wrote:Something like the American padlock bypass tool may be worth your money but as said above - don't waste your money on a lock that can easily be picked. It just doesn't make sense financially - whether it's used professionally or used in locksport.

Can someone expand on this? I'm curious how it works.
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:40 pm

DIY Dave wrote:$44 to avoid spending 1 minute picking a kwikset deadbolt-not worth it

In the Schlage lever demo his hand is beside the lock. If it were a real door his hand would be inside the door

Looks like a gimmick to me. I guess it could be worth it if there was a pin seized up and picking wasn't an option. Even then I don't think it would work. If there was some reason it couldn't be picked, I would just drill out those cheap locks

Once that cap pops off you'll hafta reload all the pins, that's too much work for me, besides all you need is a piece of spring steel to make your own cap-popper tool
The schlage tool only unlocks the door, it doesn't allow the lock cylinder to be removed, anyhow it would be easy enough to copy these so-called "tools" if you wanted to
<<

DIY Dave

Familiar Face

Post Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:21 pm

DIY Dave wrote:$44 to avoid spending 1 minute picking a kwikset deadbolt-not worth it

I saw these guys at the ALOA show this summer and tried their products. The owner is really nice and the products work well. It's much easier to use than I originally thought also.

Would I buy one? After we tried it, we considered actually buying one set for the shop and making "copy" ones out of spring steel for all the techs. We didn't buy one though and now that I think about it, I don't think I've really needed one. I might try to make some out of spring steel if I get bored some time.
<<

mercurial

Familiar Face

Post Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:50 pm

flywheel wrote:
UnlockD wrote:Something like the American padlock bypass tool may be worth your money but as said above - don't waste your money on a lock that can easily be picked. It just doesn't make sense financially - whether it's used professionally or used in locksport.

The American padlock bypass is extremely similar to the straight stick bypass to which padlocks with spring loaded locking dogs are vulnerable. It was originally made available by Peterson.

A tool is inserted all the way to the back of the cylinder, past the pins & it engages the cam directly. The tool is able to turn the cam, the same way as the cylinder does when the lock is opened with the key.

American lock company responded to this by putting a metal wafer over the end of the plug, blocking access to the cam. These wafers were also made available to fit to vulnerable padlocks already in the field.

The guys at Peterson responded to this by supplying a 'wafer breaker' with their bypass tool. It is made of very hard steel, with a sharpened tip. It is inserted into the lock and struck with a small hammer. This punches a small hole through the wafer. The tool is reversed and struck again to enlarge the hole.

Another tool is then inserted & used in a similar manner to enlarge the hole further - enough for the bypass tool to enter & access the cam.

Using 3 or 4 of the wafers will render these bypass tools ineffective.

There is a video, demonstrating the bypass here : http://youtu.be/8L9YVE7Fpos

...Mark
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:00 pm

mercurial wrote:
flywheel wrote:

The American padlock bypass is extremely similar to the straight stick bypass to which padlocks with spring loaded locking dogs are vulnerable. It was originally made available by Peterson.

A tool is inserted all the way to the back of the cylinder, past the pins & it engages the cam directly. The tool is able to turn the cam, the same way as the cylinder does when the lock is opened with the key.

American lock company responded to this by putting a metal wafer over the end of the plug, blocking access to the cam. These wafers were also made available to fit to vulnerable padlocks already in the field.

The guys at Peterson responded to this by supplying a 'wafer breaker' with their bypass tool. It is made of very hard steel, with a sharpened tip. It is inserted into the lock and struck with a small hammer. This punches a small hole through the wafer. The tool is reversed and struck again to enlarge the hole.

Another tool is then inserted & used in a similar manner to enlarge the hole further - enough for the bypass tool to enter & access the cam.

Using 3 or 4 of the wafers will render these bypass tools ineffective.

There is a video, demonstrating the bypass here : http://youtu.be/8L9YVE7Fpos

...Mark

Thank You for this info, I bought a couple packs of these wafers and now I'll know how to use them
<<

flywheel

Post Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:20 pm

Good stuff mecurial. I have seen BB do it so many times I thought it was a common attack.

Return to Bypassing