FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Kwikset Smartkey bypass

<<

Presumedsublime

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:50 pm

Kwikset Smartkey bypass

20131212_154818_1.jpg

This is a smartkey bypass I made a bit ago; it works on regular kwikset deadbolts too. I read of a method of using a small piece of metal to punch a hole out the back to gain access to the tailpiece. I couldn't find anymore information so I began experimenting. This is a .032" thick 1/4" feeler gauge that is filed to push up the key pins as you press it to the back of the lock. The bottom is tapered so it misses the tailpiece preventing lock malfunction. All the edges are then filed to an axe like edge. The turn tool is just a paper clip, not the heavy duty kind, bent to grip and use as if you had a key.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:57 pm

Re: Kwikset Smartkey bypass

Kept it right to the basics, I like it.
Is it inserted with the gradually tapering edge on the bottom of the keyway and the steeper slope towards the pins?
<<

LockManipulator

Post Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:58 pm

Nice! I like it :) I saw a talk on kwikset insecurities at defcon and they used a method like this
<<

Presumedsublime

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:02 pm

MBI wrote:Kept it right to the basics, I like it.
Is it inserted with the gradually tapering edge on the bottom of the keyway and the steeper slope towards the pins?

You got it. Focused energy right where you need it leaving everything else untouched.
<<

Presumedsublime

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:09 pm

Daggers wrote:Nice! I like it :) I saw a talk on kwikset insecurities at defcon and they used a method like this

Thanks. Pretty sure that's what the article I read was based off of. One of these days I'll make it to defcon, sounds like lot of fun!
<<

Farmerfreak

Post Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:07 pm

<<

Presumedsublime

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:54 pm

Amazing I never found a video or a description of the tool!
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:01 am

Anyone see any need to drill a small pilot hole in the back of the plug? I saw the video seemed to work fine. Haven't tried it yet, currently using the Ben-Jim bypass tool for these. This looks pretty dang easy.
Some sort of hard metal washer or Security disk like the one that stops Peterson American padlock bypass will probably solve this attack. Then someone will come out with the kwikset wafer breaker tool and make a million.

I'll be out in the garage today making one.

Thanks

Return to Bypassing