FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Bypassing an Abus 83/45

<<

fgarci03

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:43 am

Re: Bypassing an Abus 83/45

GWiens2001 wrote:I had tried that same bypass tool on the lock I pictured above. Due to the fact that I found another solution, you probably guessed that it did not work for me, either. Exact same problem - the tool made by Peterson is just too short. Luckily, my tool is not too short!

*** Waiting for fgarci03 to respond ***

Gordon

Wait untill Peterson hears about you bragging your tool is bigger than his! :armed:
Go ahead, keep plugging away, picking on me! You will end up on bypass or with rigor mortise.
- GWiens2001
<<

Mur670

Familiar Face

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:34 am

Is there currently a longer tool that is manufactured by any particular company or is Peterson the be all and end all of these particular style of bypass tools?
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:48 am

bypass this abus :mrgreen:
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:49 am

Mur670 wrote:I may attempt to make a longer version of the bypass tool using a coat hanger but ill have to wait until i have money again to get the right tools etc. My back up is to get a Dremel and cut it open on the side i done the filing on to partially expose the shackle and gain access to the retaining screw and somehow unscrew it.

Music wire would likely be much stronger. The spring return is pretty strong, and you don't want to have the hanger bend and not be able to remove it! A grinder or dremel can modify your key like mine above so you can slip a thin tension wrench in and open it, too. Easier than grinding away the lock body.

Your excuse for the dremel - "Wanted to make a cutaway padlock".

@femurat - bet you'd bend your picks on that monster!

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:18 am

It depends on the size of your pick Gordon ;-)
<<

fgarci03

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:42 am

femurat wrote:It depends on the size of your pick Gordon ;-)

That was nasty :twisted:
Go ahead, keep plugging away, picking on me! You will end up on bypass or with rigor mortise.
- GWiens2001
<<

Mur670

Familiar Face

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:27 pm

GWiens2001 wrote: A grinder or dremel can modify your key like mine above so you can slip a thin tension wrench in and open it, too. Easier than grinding away the lock body.

The only problem with this solution is that i dont have the key for it. Im yet to track down some music wire as well but this will be anohter option that ill try.

Cheers

Oisin
<<

Mur670

Familiar Face

Post Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:39 am

So its been a while since i last posted on this subject so heres an update...

I FINALLY GOT MUSIC WIRE!!! Found it in an RC hobby store just local to me. I ended up getting 1.4mm sized wire and attempted to make a tool to finally open this dam Abus. Alas though it did not work... :steam: but i aint quitting!!! once i get some time again and the right tools im going to attempt to make a copy of the Sparrows American Bypass tool and see how that goes. But if this fails yet again im going to cut the son of a bitch up and salvage what i can from it to once and for all end this saga.
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:45 pm

Hey, how about if you took an sc-4 blank and cut the shoulders back on it & make the blade long enough to engage one of the two turning lugs on the bottom of the actuator? You would need a key machine and the blank & you might need to file the millings a bit deeper to get the stub on the end to go far enough to engage the lugs. I could try it at work, if it gets slow enough, as I have one of these locks laying out on the counter. I had somehow altered the timing in one of these and I never could get it to work right again.
<<

TheEJM3

Post Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:58 pm

This happened to me and go it open. I ended up making a bypass tool to go through the keyway and turn the Cam.

I give all the dimensions and what I used to make it here :

[youtube]https://youtu.be/6fFkuq29wdo[/youtube]

Hope this helps.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:13 pm

TheEJM3 wrote:This happened to me and go it open. I ended up making a bypass tool to go through the keyway and turn the Cam.

I give all the dimensions and what I used to make it here :

[youtube]https://youtu.be/6fFkuq29wdo[/youtube]

Hope this helps.

was LMAO when I saw the first part of the video. I saw the cam/actuator sitting there on the mat, and when you put in the screw without testing the key, was thinking "Hope he tries the key before locking the shackle". Then Snap - you locked it. Think I said about the same thing as you had censored with the beep when it happened to me. :D Like me, you found a way to make it work. Perhaps a longer toe on your tool would make it function easier . It will be going at a right angle to the keyway when it engages the keyway, so that should help line it up. Will have to give it a shot.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

WestCoastPicks

Familiar Face

Post Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:13 pm

I have several of these locks. One I have was given to me by a locksmith who did the exact same thing. It depends on what kind of core you have in it. There is one that is not possible to bypass since the back of the plug is not open. Solid brass.

The best you can do is save ether the core or the body. If you want to save the core, drill right at the drain hole of the body by the shackle hole. Drill off the head of the retaining screw and pull the core out of the lock. If you want to save the body, drill the bible dead center till you've drilled out the bottom of the set screw and then pull the core out. Other than that, you're gonna have to buy a new lock lol.
<<

TheEJM3

Post Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:53 am

@GWiens2001

The toe is as long as it can be to get all the way through the core without getting stuck on the pins. It took forever to get it right the first time I made it. The first few prototypes had to be removed from the core with vise grips, a bench vise and some percussive persuasion.

@WestCoastPicks

You are exactly right. Remarkably, there are 14 cores for this thing. Luckily I have a 3000 core that is wide enough to fit a .040" pick. Additionally there are 2 different types of cams in the back. This one has two, raised triangles, but there's another (I think for the European market?) with a slot.
<<

Chip2020

Post Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:46 pm

AbusX83XSeriesXShackleXReleaseXTool.jpg
I realize that this is an old thread, but if anybody is still interested, here is a diagram of a wire tool that's specifically designed to release the shackle of an Abus 83/45 padlock that has been assembled without installing the actuator first. A wire coathanger should work. The bending dimensions are shown.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Previous

Return to Bypassing