FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Bypassing an Abus 83/45

<<

Mur670

Familiar Face

Post Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:36 pm

Bypassing an Abus 83/45

Hi there.

Ive been picking for almost a year now and only recently i made the mistake of not putting my Abus 83/45 back together properly. Id left out what i believe to be the actuator or the piece that engages the shackle to open. Rookie error i know. My question is this...could an American By-Pass tool be used to fix this problem or have i sealed the fate of this lock indefinitely? If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:02 pm

Re: Bypassing an Abus 83/45

Mur670,

Welcome to the dark side! Glad to see you here. :-)

Have you tried sliding a tension wrench down to engage the cam after picking it? An American bypass tool may or may not work... Not entirely sure. Depends on the keyway and the cam. I did the same thing with a Master Pro-series lock with a Schlage Everest core. While the American bypass tool would not turn the cam, I was able to spin off the retaining cap from the back of the plug with the bypass tool. :mrgreen: Doubt Abus uses the same retaining cap. Let me check and see if I have an 83/45. If I do, will try the American bypass tool. What keyway does your lock have?

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:25 pm

OK, found one. Schlage C keyway.

Took it apart, here is the picture:

I see no part on this particular lock that, if left out, would prevent the lock from opening. Except for key or driver pins, but then the key would not turn.

On this lock, the cam actuator is a part of the plug, not a separate component, as it is on the Master lock mentioned above. :oops:

Do you have any pictures of the part in question, or is it in the above picture?

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Mur670

Familiar Face

Post Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:58 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:Have you tried sliding a tension wrench down to engage the cam after picking it?

I have tried this method but to no avail. I think my technique with this method is lacking.

GWiens2001 wrote: What keyway does your lock have?

To be completely honest i wouldnt have a clue as to what key way it is. Im not familiar with key way identification as yet.

As for pictures of the lock in question they are on LP101( Is it sacriligious to mention the rivals? :boxing:) under the thread name " i think i need some help with this one.

Cheers Gordon.
<<

Mur670

Familiar Face

Post Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:13 am

<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:26 am

Looks like that is the cam actuator. Your plug must be a little shorter than mine (get your mind out of my gutter!), so that there is space for the cam actuator to fit, instead of being milled into the end of the plug.

The return springs on this lock are pretty weak. The American bypass tool should do the trick. But if you have access to music wire (available at hobby stores, not music stores) you could make a tool to bypass the lock cylinder and get to the cam itself. Music wire is some tough stuff.

Bend the wire to have a long body with a short 'L' shape about half the length of your cam actuator. Make a longer bend at the 'handle' end to give yourself a little leverage. You will not need a lot of force, as the cam return spring is weak.

Slide it into the lock with the L facing away from the pins. It should fit all the way through the plug and stop against the cam. Turn the tool (a little prayer could not hurt), and you should hear the lock pop open.

Other ideas are welcome!

Best of luck,

Gordon
<<

dicey

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:33 am

To bad I got here this late :)

I could have told you right from the beginning what is missing. Either Gwiens solution or you get yourself a decent bypass set from Peterson. Normally you can not bypass these padlocks but without this cam at the end of the plug you can. That is also why your key is probably not working (there is nothing to turn...). Your key should be working though but nothing will happen. Good luck mate and if you need any further advise just let me know!
<<

Mur670

Familiar Face

Post Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:43 am

Cheers Gordon and dicey. I shall endeavor with both of these ideas.

Quick question to you Gordon, would guitar strings suffice as I'm not sure my local hobby stores stock music wire.

Cheers again guys :)
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:55 am

No, guitar string would not work. Have tried it. Much too thin and weak. The wound strings are thick enough, but the core of them is still just the thin wire. Try hobby shops or hardware stores, not music stores.

Gordon
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:13 am

Try a metal coat hangar. I've used it before to make an American Lock bypass, same concept. Works great for one or two uses then it breaks.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:21 am

the copper wound strings on a piano, base notes, are pretty thick and stiff.
just sayin, .... pianos do get thrown out and probably should be harvested by pickers.
<<

Mur670

Familiar Face

Post Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:17 am

GWiens2001 wrote:No, guitar string would not work. Have tried it. Much too thin and weak. The wound strings are thick enough, but the core of them is still just the thin wire. Try hobby shops or hardware stores, not music stores.

Gordon

Oh well time to hit the hardware store i guess :razz:

xeo wrote:Try a metal coat hangar. I've used it before to make an American Lock bypass, same concept. Works great for one or two uses then it breaks.

Wouldnt a coat hanger be too thick to fit the key way?

rai wrote:pianos do get thrown out and probably should be harvested by pickers.

Maybe someone needs to start tthrowing out pianos around my neck of the woods :D good idea though

Cheers guys

Oisin
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:40 am

Coat hangars come in varying sizes and widths. I have an enormous array of coat hangars from getting my clothes washed by a service for ~5 years. Some of them were too thick, too thin.. others were perfect in size to fit down the keyway.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

Mur670

Familiar Face

Post Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:56 am

It seems ill have to pay closer attention to my coat hangers then :)
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:55 pm

Mur670 wrote:Wouldnt a coat hanger be too thick to fit the key way?

Use a metal file or some sandpaper to get it to fit. Or even hammer it a little bit flat.
Next

Return to Bypassing