FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Couldn't pick, so I bypassed!

<<

LockManipulator

Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:20 am

Couldn't pick, so I bypassed!

At school, the teacher forgot a key for a door she wanted open and asked me to open it since she knows of my skills. I wasn't able to pick it unfortunately since it was master keyed and those really trip me up for some reason even though they seem like they should be easier. So I got 2 wire coat hangers and bent them together into a U shape with one of the U's having a hook on the end. On the hook, I tied my shoe string to it and then the other end onto the middle of the U. I slid it under the door, hooked it on the handle, and pulled! It opened! First time I was able to open a door like that :)
<<

clearmoon247

Familiar Face

Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:22 am

Re: Couldn't pick, so I bypassed!

Nice job on the DIY mule tool. Gotta love the ingenuity for that.
<<

abroxis

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:05 pm

Open the door for the teacher ...... no prob except when there is a break in will your name be on the list of suspects.

Some users don't seem to care if others know of or see their skills.

Others are of the opinion that that can only lead to being wrongly accused of B&E or something similar.

We are always told to never pick or open stuff that we do not own.

Am I paranoid , or is it best to keep ones skills private.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:39 pm

abroxis wrote:Open the door for the teacher ...... no prob except when there is a break in will your name be on the list of suspects.

Yeah, no kidding.

I was an in-house institutional locksmith for a school for a while. It seemed almost a daily thing that I'd get called to open a desk, file cabinet or closet when someone had lost or forgotten their keys.

First time I opened one for them was a file cabinet in the main office. The nervous glances I got from the office staff bordered on fear when they saw how easily I could open them. Basically as quickly as if I'd had the proper key, since they were just simple wafer locks. After that, I made a list of the key codes of every lock in the building, and had a key to each on a master ring that I kept locked up. Then if someone called me, it would take a few minutes longer but I'd dig out the master ring and use the proper key to open their lock and allow them to maintain the illusion of security they had in their heads.

Even after I was no longer officially their locksmith I was still there for at least a short while daily since it was where my kids went to school. I'd still get paged to the office regularly and asked if I could open a lock since it took forever to get the custodian to do it. I didn't have access to the master ring of keys I'd put together, so I was back to using picks. But I'd learned my lesson and I usually made a show of effort for a couple of minutes before "finally" opening a lock, just so it didn't look too easy.

Even then, I still had one teacher ask me directly "sooo... you could get in to my stuff at any time if you wanted to?" I just said "yes, but I wouldn't . It's called ethics".

I still occasionally get teachers asking me to open their stuff for them when they don't have their keys, but I believe in covering my backside. I just politely decline and let them know I'd be happy to do so, but that those requests have to go through the office to avoid the apperance of any wrongdoing. That way if any lockout I did was called into question, it ensures I have multiple witnesses that it was legitimate.
<<

Alaphablue

The only difference between me and this crazy island is that I'm a madman!
The only difference between me and this crazy island is that I'm a madman!

Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:25 pm

I like keeping my abilities to my self outer than my father key picking members are the only ones who know I pick locks . People are dumb + can't keep things to there selves that you can always count on .
<<

Werewolf

Familiar Face

Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:55 pm

Teachers , the reason locksmiths can make a living.
Half of my regular costumers are schools :D
"Who are you and how did you get in here ?"
"I'm the locksmith , and i'm a locksmith"
<<

Ragnar

Familiar Face

Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:55 pm

MBI wrote:Even then, I still had one teacher ask me directly "sooo... you could get in to my stuff at any time if you wanted to?" I just said "yes, but I wouldn't . It's called ethics".

I love how simple you made that & summed up your thought with, "Our ethics are stronger than your security." That should go on a t-shirt.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:22 pm

Ragnar wrote:I love how simple you made that & summed up your thought with, "Our ethics are stronger than your security." That should go on a t-shirt.

You're absolutely right. That's an excellent candidate for the slogan for the keypicking.com T-Shirts we'll be making in the coming weeks. Best one I've heard yet.

If we do use it, you'll have yourself a free one.

Hmm... this motivates me to get moving on those sooner than I'd planned.

Thanks!
<<

LockManipulator

Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:53 pm

i don't mind too much about who knows about my skills, if you're open about it then they'll be inclined to believe you're honest. The teacher is also pretty chill and trusts me so i know i know i'm good with showing that teacher what i can do
<<

Ragnar

Familiar Face

Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:59 pm

MBI wrote:
Ragnar wrote:I love how simple you made that & summed up your thought with, "Our ethics are stronger than your security." That should go on a t-shirt.

You're absolutely right. That's an excellent candidate for the slogan for the keypicking.com T-Shirts we'll be making in the coming weeks. Best one I've heard yet.

If we do use it, you'll have yourself a free one.

Hmm... this motivates me to get moving on those sooner than I'd planned.

Thanks!

Completely joking about the t-shirt thing & a walking billboard for keypicking.com would go against everything said above, but I would wear it proudly none-the-less :smile: .
<<

keymaster1053

Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:55 pm

:agree: Hey I'd wear it! (if you could find one in my size!) :hbg:
(20:10:59) Blacky: oki
(20:18:08) MBI: Me working for the CIA is about as likely as you working in the Middle East.
(20:19:01) Riyame: lol
(20:19:05) Riyame: he is in dubai
(20:19:26) MBI rescinds his previous comment
<<

s1deshowmick

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:27 pm

It's always nice to "Help out" but be careful, other students and maybe other teachers will be eager to point fingers at the first missing item.
It's always a nice deviation away from the truth, and they WILL use it if they think it will work for them.
If you can't be good, Be good at it.

http://au.youtube.com/S1DESHOWMICK
<<

s1deshowmick

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:30 pm

OH, and i think the shirt's a great idea, i would take one if you have them in midget sizes......
If you can't be good, Be good at it.

http://au.youtube.com/S1DESHOWMICK
<<

selim

Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist
Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist

Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:03 pm

MBI , that's why i alway's say it will take a while, if I can even do it - :D

Very good quote for a t shirt

Over , and out
<<

piotr

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:06 pm

Daggers, I agree with Abroxis, MBI, Alphablue and sideshowmick, your intentions may be entirely honourable but with the "Chinese whispers" effect and the cynicism of many people you risk becoming a suspect in the event of an apparent non-destructive entry at the school.

Agreed, Ragnar's slogan would make a great T-shirt.
Next

Return to Bypassing