FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Need a Mul-T-Lock Key copy made, Don't have original card.

<<

JoinMeinWonderland

Post Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:21 pm

Need a Mul-T-Lock Key copy made, Don't have original card.

I am a super-duper noob. What a cool site though, I didn't even know keypicking was a hobby, it just looked cool in movies.

My issue- I have a Mul-T-Lock key that my lanlord gave me, i lost the other copy, I must give to a new roomate asap and I cannot get in touch with the lanlord, From all of my research and calling locksmiths all over the new york area .. looks like no one will do it unless i have the Mul-t-lock card that came with the key OR i have to literally remove the lock from the door and bring it into the place for them to get the code. This is the front door key and I cannot do that.

Is there any way I can get a copy of the key made? I did some research on in this forum and saw something about key bumping.. not sure if that will help me but would greatly appreciate if someone would help me figure this problem out.. can't wait anymore to hear back from these lanlords.

Is there a way to figure out the key number of the Mul-t-Lock key and give that to the locksmith and have them make a copy?

Any and all help is much appreciated~

anna
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:52 pm

Re: Need a Mul-T-Lock Key copy made, Don't have original car

Mul-T-Locks are high security for a reason. You just can't go down to Home Depot and have a key made. Keep in mind that the key code card is something the landlord will not easily part with for obvious security reasons.

I think your only ethical solution is to wait for the landlord and ask him to provide you with a new key.

Furthermore, no reputable locksmith would blindly generate a key, just on your word. The locksmith has no way of knowing if your request is legitimate - or if you are a serial stalker bent on causing someone harm.

As far as bumping the lock - well that's possible. But by making an unauthorized copy of the key, without the landlord's consent, you probably have just created an event of default on your lease. Those are sufficient grounds for terminating your rental agreement and putting you out on the street.

Keep it legal. It will give you peace of mind.
<<

JoinMeinWonderland

Post Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:09 pm

Thanks muchos for your very quick response! I had an extra copy of the key, until i lost it, just trying to replace that. I wonder if i brought proof of my address and my ID card to the locksmith if that would help..
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:20 pm

I wouldn't count on it... if they copy a key without the card, they could lose their authorization to sell the brand.
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
<<

dgtlcrack

Familiar Face

Post Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:31 pm

what elbow said, also it would authorize mul-t-lock to sue the locksmith company for destruction of brand reputation, which would probably bankrupt the locksmith and close him down considering Mul-t-Lock is owned by assa abloy, the largest (and possibly the only important) high security lock manufacture in the world.

And I doubt you can't get a hold of your landlord, it's just that you can't explain to your landlord you lost a key because you will probably be charged a pretty hefty sum to rekey the exterior doors of the building. Mind you, that's the cost of security and you probably deserve to pay that.
I out fit tons of buildings in my area and if somebody loses a building key, there goes your security deposit towards rekey costs and cutting new keys, and guess what, you get kicked out if you don't give them a new security deposit... oh snap I love this city full of stuborn assholes.
*- Digital Crack -*
"You want my knowledge, my answers, well you're going to get it the way I give it to you: with a grain of salt, logic, and nearly sarcastic common sense.... unless you are willing to pay, then I'll shut the hell up and you can be the boss"
<<

Farmerfreak

Post Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:44 pm

Just a quick note.

I'm guessing that there is a miss-understanding based on this comment.
JoinMeinWonderland wrote:OR i have to literally remove the lock from the door and bring it into the place for them to get the code.
I don't deal with Mul-T-Lock. However with Assa and any other patented key system I know of/deal with. What was most likely said by the locksmith is that you would have to bring them the lock so they could "re-key" the lock and get you a "new" code and keys. The old code isn't an option unless you were the original signer for the lock, in which case you wouldn't need to bring the lock in...
<<

dgtlcrack

Familiar Face

Post Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:55 pm

what farmer said, and mul-t-lock key cutters have key decoders built into them.
*- Digital Crack -*
"You want my knowledge, my answers, well you're going to get it the way I give it to you: with a grain of salt, logic, and nearly sarcastic common sense.... unless you are willing to pay, then I'll shut the hell up and you can be the boss"
<<

dgtlcrack

Familiar Face

Post Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:56 pm

I like these forums, customers come here and still get the same reply from a locksmith as if you had called us, LOL.
*- Digital Crack -*
<<

loki

Familiar Face

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:02 am

There are a number of issues here. Some are technical as to how and
under what conditions a key can be cloned ie. restricted keyways.
The other issues are legal; argreements between you and building owner,
the locksmith and Mul-T-Lock. That being said, maybe you should
"cut your losses" and explain to the landlord what happened.

Hopefully the owner will give you a little break, especially if you'r contrite.
None the less, expect to pay some fees; key replacement fee, rekey charge.
You will be out some money, but you stand to loose much more money
if you try circumventing the rules and get caught.

Don't take this as legal advise, consider it a suggestion on minimizing
the potential hassels you may face.

Return to Lock Bumping