FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Bumping buffers

<<

jimr

Post Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:04 am

Bumping buffers

I think this is in the correct place, if not please feel free to move/remove, thanks.

Just thought i would share this little product with you. I was looking for suitable bumpkey buffer and found myself in wicks in Dunstable i dont think they have this store in the U.S but they are all over the uk.
I searched for some small rubber washers and came home with the ones below.
they are made of hard rubber and push over the key nicely, they come in pack of four and cost just over a pound.
The ones in the picture are bashed about because i am new to bumping and have beat them up a few times lol.
I use one on my yale key and two on the key i use for my Era locks.

Sorry about the photo, i was rushing a bit.

[Edit- HallisChalmers: Moved topic to "Lock Bumping" section.]
<<

Wozzlock

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:40 am

Re: Bumping buffers

Cool, I'm off to Wicks to get some.
<<

wadar

Post Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:29 pm

those buffers look a little rigid and thick to me matey,you want soft rubber,1 and 2mm thick,you also want something like grommets from electrical shops and some car shops these are a softer rubber and are like two washers with a thin strip down the middle,they arnt that expensive but they add a lot of spring to bumping,dampning the blow and resetting the key between strikes,so they are very effective.
<<

GutterClown

Post Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:09 pm

Nylon board is what I've found to be best.
Rubber gives out after serious whacking, and can be unpredictable.

Using a piece of nylon board with the profile cut out, you just take the shoulders and part of the head off your key until the board actually becomes the shoulder.
I've never used the 'back-one-space' technique with this, generally I just cut the spacing forward a little so the pins are resting on the ramp of the cuts.
The board has no 'give' when you whack the key, so it doesn't damage the cylinders at all (I've tested on brass, antique bronze, chrome plated)
Also it doesn't damage the key, so you can keep using the same key over and over.

Here i've colored the nylon board red. You should be able to find it in the kichen supplies area, they make chopping boards out of the stuff. Get some 5mm thick if you can
<<

xlockpick

Familiar Face

Post Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:00 am

yeah I have the same problem, after bumping a few times the rubber washer is all ripped apart, anything stronger out there? we do have some thicker once here, but they deform the BK.
<<

m0ose

Post Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:00 am

xlockpick wrote:yeah I have the same problem, after bumping a few times the rubber washer is all ripped apart, anything stronger out there? we do have some thicker once here, but they deform the BK.

I've never used one of those, but try hitting harder? The best bumps I've ever done was with light tension and light - medium taps. Not saying you are a wild man or anything, but it could be your problem.
<<

xlockpick

Familiar Face

Post Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:56 am

m0ose wrote:
xlockpick wrote:yeah I have the same problem, after bumping a few times the rubber washer is all ripped apart, anything stronger out there? we do have some thicker once here, but they deform the BK.

I've never used one of those, but try hitting harder? The best bumps I've ever done was with light tension and light - medium taps. Not saying you are a wild man or anything, but it could be your problem.

Thanks dude, I will give that a try..
<<

AccessGained

Post Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:43 am

Try using rubber bands/elastic bands, that should have the same effect!
<<

m0ose

Post Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:11 pm

xlockpick wrote:
m0ose wrote:

Thanks dude, I will give that a try..

Lol, oops. Try not* hitting harder. Or something. I have no clue why I worded it like that. It should be more along the lines of "Try not hitting so hard" but I have no clue why I wrote what I did. I think I was thinking of two sentences at one, try hitting lighter and not hitting hard. :P Wow I hate when I reread posts I make when I'm out of it. >.<
<<

uklockpicker

The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor
The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor

Post Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:42 am

AccessGained wrote:Try using rubber bands/elastic bands, that should have the same effect!

you took the words right out my mouth :lol:
<<

game

Familiar Face

Post Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:19 am

I think I have some of those in the shop I will have to try that when my bump keys get here
<<

GutterClown

Post Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:53 am

Bump keys use the jerk-force transmitted by the key to bounce the pins up.

Using a rubber washer will slowly dampen the force til the key is stopped.
Using something like the nylon board I use will allow full-speed until it hits, then all that force is brought to a very sudden stop.

Also rubber will degrade after time. I've only had to make one nylon board piece for each key.
<<

wadar

Post Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:01 pm

for using these washers, you need to make sure the hole goes over the color on the key, the softer the rubber the better as it gives more spring after each bump and resets the lock faster, to prevent the washers breaking simply add a plastic washer closest to the keyway, its the keyway that splits many of them, the plastic washer puts up a lot more of a fight, when the plastic washer has had its day, bin it off and replace it with a new one, the rubber washers will last a lot, lot longer
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:56 pm

GutterClown wrote:Bump keys use the jerk-force transmitted by the key to bounce the pins up.

Using a rubber washer will slowly dampen the force til the key is stopped.
Using something like the nylon board I use will allow full-speed until it hits, then all that force is brought to a very sudden stop.

Also rubber will degrade after time. I've only had to make one nylon board piece for each key.

Does anyone know what gutterclown meant by "nylon board"? like a cutting board or something???
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:00 pm

GutterClown wrote:Here i've colored the nylon board red. You should be able to find it in the kichen supplies area, they make chopping boards out of the stuff. Get some 5mm thick if you can

So, yeah, I think you got it right Riff.
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
Next

Return to Lock Bumping