FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Bump Keys versus Snap Gun

<<

TomSwango

Post Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:40 am

Bump Keys versus Snap Gun

I am a novice just starting to learn lock picking. My question is: What are the advantages and disadvantages of bump keys versus a snap gun and tension wrench?

I do not understand what the advantage is of having a ring of bump keys when it appears that a snap gun and tension wrench would perform the same function.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Tom
<<

Robotnik

Familiar Face

Post Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:51 am

Re: Bump Keys versus Snap Gun

Each has many positives and negatives. A pick gun may have difficulty with paracentric keyways, for example, while a bump key (at least in my experience) is more apt to cause physical damage to a lock.
<<

norwoodgolf

Familiar Face

Post Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:02 pm

I own a ring of bump keys and an electric pick gun.

Bump keys are cheap and they are easy to master. The electric pick gun/snap gun is more expensive and requires a lot more practice. I don't even take my electric pick gun in the field with me any more--it's too much work.

My advice: only buy a snap gun/electric pick gun if you have disposable income AND you have a burning desire to own every type of lock picking tool.
<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:19 pm

I have had mixed experiences with bump keys. Obviously, some locks bump easier than others but I have found them to be rather hit or miss. I have a cheap and nasty Klom EPG and I think it's great! It has opened quite a few locks in the past where picking and bump keys have failed.
<<

WestCoastPicks

Familiar Face

Post Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:05 pm

They both do the same thing essentially. The benefit of a bump key is that you can always fit it in the lock if you have the right one, and you're sure you're contacting the pins every time.

The benefit of the gun is that it's one piece, the force is controlled for you, and you can machine-gun it. Also can be done with bump keys if you use a spring or rubber o-rings.

If you aren't in to picking and you just want to get locks open, you'll find that you want both. If you're more in to picking locks rather than getting them open at whatever cost, you won't use either of them.

If you're in to picking, I'd say save your money and buy locks, picks, tools to make picks or metal for pick making. A well practiced picker can open a lock faster than most people with a snap gun or bump key. And there are a TON of locks snap guns and bump keys can't get open but picking can.

Just my honest opinion ☺

-Harley
<<

norwoodgolf

Familiar Face

Post Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:27 pm

Get a cheap KwikSet deadbolt from Habitat for Humanity or just buy one at a hardware store. Use a square file to make one of the keys into a bump key and try it out. Here is a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDju9bBFvA4

You don't really need to install the rubber bumpers--it will work without it. Bumping will damage locks, so I would never try and bump anything in use. Next, take that bump key and attach it to an electronic toothbrush. Here is that video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDlZbQ20aLI

If you are handy at bending and shaping wires you can make a snapper. More video (just shows a snapper in use):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mZCOcjO1IY

All this stuff works. It's just matter of what works best for you.
<<

Neilau

Post Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:04 pm

In my experience locks that can be bumped open are REALLY easy to pick and snap guns are not as easy as they are made out to be.

I have tried both when I was getting into it and after playing with them for a few weeks I haven't touched them in years. They are somewhere in the back of a cupboard somewhere.

If you want to spend the money and try them out, go for it but I bet that you will forget about them fairly soon and stick to picking.

My thoughts.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

Patrick Star

Post Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:09 pm

There seems to be some locks that won't open with a snap gun but can be bumped. I haven't studied the phenomenon though - it might simply be that they open with something better than a standard gun (straight "line of impact", more force, etc.)
I usually don't try bumping locks since it tends to leave ugly marks on my little cute play-things, so my ability to study this is somewhat limited...
<<

locksmithsg

Post Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:38 am

norwoodgolf wrote:I own a ring of bump keys and an electric pick gun.

Bump keys are cheap and they are easy to master. The electric pick gun/snap gun is more expensive and requires a lot more practice. I don't even take my electric pick gun in the field with me any more--it's too much work.

My advice: only buy a snap gun/electric pick gun if you have disposable income AND you have a burning desire to own every type of lock picking tool.

So you think bump keys are better than electric pick guns? What is the success rate of bump keys?
<<

selim

Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist
Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist

Post Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:52 pm

My success rate with bump keys is about 95 %. It's all in how they are made, and I don't use rubber washers - or what ever they are called. I always spend a few minutes trying to pick first. This was at work not at home, when I am home I should practice my picking skills more.
selim
<<

locksmithsg

Post Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:47 am

selim wrote:My success rate with bump keys is about 95 %. It's all in how they are made, and I don't use rubber washers - or what ever they are called. I always spend a few minutes trying to pick first. This was at work not at home, when I am home I should practice my picking skills more.
selim

Thank you so much for the info.
For me most of my experience has been with picking and using an electric lock pick.
I am looking forward to learning key bumping to improve my skill sets.

One of the reasons why I want to learn bump keys is some of the locks have paracentric keyways and some picks cannot seem to get into the keyway and thus I think using bump keys would greatly improve the chances of openning a lock.

Any thoughts about that?
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:25 pm

Some people will not be happy with the mark at the top of the keyway from bumping.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.

Return to Lock Bumping