FAQ  •  My feedback  •  Feedback
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Shiny New Server

<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:13 am

Shiny New Server

Hi Everyone!

Yesterday morning in the wee hours, we migrated the site to a new (faster and bigger) server with a new hosting company. So far, everything appears to not only be working, but the site seems to be running MUCH faster and much more smoothly.

I would be interested to know if everyone is having essentially the same experience in that regard, or if anyone is experiencing any new problems that cropped up in thye last 24-48 hours. Please reply in this thread to let us know your experience thusfar. Whether things are chugging along swimmingly for you... Or, alternatively, if you are having any troubles that seem to have arisen from the move.

If you are looking for hosting for a domain you have and you are technically savvy enough to manage your own server, I highly recommend this new hosting company: Digital Ocean (yeah, that is a referral link... if you use it you'll get a $10 credit and if you spend $25 on hosting, then they will give us a $25 credit toward our hosting.) I've used them before and have always been quite pleased with them and the pricing is awesome too! The lowest cost host you can get there is only $5/mo :eyepop: :yep: :eyepop: :yep: :eyepop:

Thanks and enjoy the new faster server!

-Elbow
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
<<

Geir

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:25 am

Re: Shiny New Server

I was using the site both before, during and after the move, and I didn't feel a thing.
Seems to respond even quicker now than before!
<<

Malekal

Familiar Face

Post Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:59 pm

Yup, seem to load faster.
Malekal: I guess I'll try... I thought you had to go light
xeo: you do whatever the lock wants
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:10 pm

Cool, good to hear! Sorry if you've had an issues in the past 30 min or so. I was tweaking the configuration and the webserver process was taking its time restarting.

I'm thinking that most will be sharing your experiences in terms of the site being more responsive.

Thanks!

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:45 pm

That's why the site was faster than ever! I usually have to wait a few seconds between the click and the page I want to see, but today it loads almost instantly!

Cheers :)
An old post of mine that you'd like to read is missing pictures? PM me and I'll fix them.
<<

Squelchtone

Post Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:32 pm

Hi elbow, I've been looking for a new place since Novanix closed down. When you say it requires running your own server, do I have to have a server image I need to upload and spin up? I like using cPanel for managing file uploads and building basic web pages, as well as using it for email accounts linked to my domains, do they have a cpanel-esque gui for someone like me or is their hosting all SSH logins and linux commands?

Thanks,
Squelchtone

EDIT: I googled it https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... g-centos-6
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:40 pm

Seems to be working fine for me, thanks for all your hard work!
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
xeo: i root for the kernel
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:46 pm

It works quickly and nicely. Thanks, Elbow. :)

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:53 pm

Hey Squelchtone,

If you need help with SSH and linux command-line stuff, I would be more than happy to lend you a hand. I could slap together a couple cheat-sheets for ya too. Also, Digital Ocean has really good docs! The other company I'd highly recommend would be Linode. Their pricing structure is nearly identical other than they don't have the $5/mo option. Their cheapest is a $10/mo. They do have a much nicer OS Monitoring/system utilization application in their server administration section. The only reason that I went with DO over Linode was that DO accepts Paypal and Linode does not. Although, I can't recommend either hosting company enough! They both give you very low-level control/access to the systems--you can get a "console" login to your server where it is as if you were actually sitting at an attached monitor and keyboard as far as the host is concerned, which is VERY nice to have that level of access to the system. It is something that is very sorely missing from Godaddy's VM hosting and from the hosting plans of many others as well, and quite surprisingly, even including some (many to most actually) of the higher-tier ($500+/mo for a 4GB/400GB/4CPU[I5 or I7] core host in a SunGuard DC and similar :eyepop: ) hosting platforms. Of course, they both allow you to resize your host (in terms of #of CPUs, RAM and/or HDD Space) on the fly. IIRC, the HDD space is all within giant arrays of SDDs on an attached SAN.

One other thought as well, the instructions for installing cPanel (IMHO a very bad idea) are for CentOS 6 and I would very strongly recommend not using a CentOS 6 image as 6 is quite outdated at this point with 7 having been out for a couple/few years now coupled with them having current release CentOS 7 images to use, you'd be remiss to not take advantage of it. Also, those instructions would most likely hold just as true for CentOS 7 as they were for CentOS 6 and even if not, I could easily translate the differences for you.

Let me know if you decide to go with one of those two companies and I'll slap some docs together for ya.

-Elbow :akimbo:

<<

escapenrv

Familiar Face

Post Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:56 pm

Yes. Faster and smoother than ever. I'll try to make note of the "Shiny" and let you know.
Thanks for all of your work for us......
Steve
<<

Random

Familiar Face

Post Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:52 am

I have to agree the site is much faster, there is no noticeable lag time in between page anymore.
<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:22 am

I have a question. When I go to the chat I am told that I need cookies in order to use said chat. I have cookies enabled, what am I doing wrong?
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:21 am

huxleypig wrote:I have a question. When I go to the chat I am told that I need cookies in order to use said chat. I have cookies enabled, what am I doing wrong?

You have cookies, but no milk. :D

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

huxleypig

The Prestigious and Powerful Porcine Prelate

Post Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:28 pm

I just got milk from the 24hr garage. It still doesn't work though :cry: You promised me Gordon.

I have tried this from FF, Chrome and IE and also from 3 different computers (on different internet connections).

I take it that nobody else is seeing this?
<<

aoyue2702

Familiar Face

Post Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:57 am

Thanks for keeping the site up and running throughout the years.

Although I may not come around much, keypicking.com remains one of my all time favorite sites

It's definitely my most favorite picking site

Return to The Book Nook