FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Help me decide on a new Fountain Pen

<<

youluckyfox

Familiar Face

Post Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:57 am

Help me decide on a new Fountain Pen

Thanks to NNFAK for the suggestions already! I am considering purchasing a new fountain pen soon, and would like to open the matter up to suggestions to the entire forum. Anyone who would recommend a nice, fluid, very fine fountain pen for under $7? Just kidding, my current budget is $200. Currently I am looking at the Lamy Safari and the Pilot Vanishing Point. Please let me know of your opinions!
<<

ARF-GEF

Post Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:29 am

Re: Help me decide on a new Fountain Pen

Lamy safari si great, slightly dry writer htough, if you are ok with that I can recomend it. A very trustable lovable pen. Light so it's well suited for long and als ofor quick wriiting. Durbale as well. Plus it well under you budget so it won't bust the bank :)
I don't have pilot vanishing point, but I heard good things of it, I have a pilot metropolitan and that is a fantstic plen.

If you are interested in higher end pens and maybe more conservative oens as well, I have a bunch of Pelikan pens and they are all absolutly amazing.
To infinity... and beyond!
=== WARNING DANGER OF TYPOS!===
Arfspeak: calnin cladycomes: you allow her key in themodning
Equals in plain English: cleaning lady comes: you allow her key in the morning
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:18 pm

Why would you need a special pen to draw graffiti on a fountain? What ever happened to good old spray paint? :mrgreen:

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

ARF-GEF

Post Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:01 pm

No, no it's a pen which is also a fountain! It1s big and amde of marble and so on
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:32 pm

Ahh, so you can hear the relaxing sounds of the fountain as you write. Clever! Only the noise might make you need to pee. :?

:)

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

ARF-GEF

Post Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:25 pm

it also makes everything very wet... :(
<<

youluckyfox

Familiar Face

Post Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:27 pm

Imagine working at the Niagara Falls visitor center:
"And on your left....please excuse me, I'll be right back after a quick break"

@AG: Thanks for the recommendation on the Safari!
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:07 pm

My apologies for derailing this thread. Don't know anything about current day fountain pens. But at least we had some fun. Hopefully someone besides just AG can give some real advice.

Gordon
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Thu May 15, 2014 11:42 am

I know this post is a little old but I was just given one of these pens http://products.crestar-limited.com/en/ ... v-pen.html for a $5.00 disposable fountain pen I think they write nice.
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
<<

KJ4IPS

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:38 pm

I just ordered one of theese <http://www.gouletpens.com/Platinum_3776_Fountain_Pen_Bourgogne_Century_UEF_p/plat-pnb-10000-71-uef.htm>
It's near your range, I'll let you all know what I think when it arrives on monday (and I've had ample time to use it)
It is foolish to think that any puzzle born of human ingenuity cannot be unraveled by the same (Someone whose name I have forgotten)
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:32 pm

During the years I sold guns I used a cross fountain pen, the refills are very affordable and they also have a way for you to draw your own ink. I have found that nowadays I just don't write enough with the fountain pen to justify using it, and I went back to my Parker Rollerball, which is a very sweet refillable. Thing I have found is the refills cost more than I wanna pay, so I'm always getting ripped off buying old refills off E-Bay. The older refills almost always develop a leak and lose their propellant gas, then I hafta keep the pen in my pocket turned upside down, so gravity will keep the ink going. The writing is sooo smoooth either way
<<

youluckyfox

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:39 am

Anarchy_won wrote:I know this post is a little old but...

Nah, dude. I always appreciate a contribution on any of my posts!
At the time I made this post, I had saved up a couple thou to get a bike and a nice fountain pen. Sad truth is that shortly after that I got a $2000 hospital bill that just about knocked me out. It was like watching PacMan just woh-uh-woh-uh-woh-uh through my bank account. Anyway For a college student with three jobs I am barely breaking even at this point. I'll probably take the Pell Grant next semester (haven't taken one, yet) so that I'll be able to have an easier time. Anyway, it doesn't look like I'll be buying a fountain pen for awhile, but I still appreciate any suggestions or reviews of fountain pens for when I get a cash reserve built back. Some people might be wondering why I care to buy a fountain pen at all, but I like to take notes using Gregg Shorthand and having a fountain pen or rollerball really improves things. Plus a fountain pen is slick. Sorry for the sob-story, I just thought I owed an explanation as to why I haven't bought a pen yet! I know that many others have it worse than I do.

Thank you for your post Anarchy_won, hope to see an update on the pen soon. Let me know about the flow of the ink (if it tends to be too leaky or too dry) and if there is anything else that you enjoy or don't like.

Question for all: My old MonteVerde seemed to get ink all around the inside of the cap when I walked around with it and then the ink would eventually got onto the part where I held it (any correction of my terminology is appreciated) and make me look like an amateur with my inked fingers. Any tips for avoiding this?
<<

youluckyfox

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:51 am

KJ4IPS wrote:I just ordered one of theese <http://www.gouletpens.com/Platinum_3776_Fountain_Pen_Bourgogne_Century_UEF_p/plat-pnb-10000-71-uef.htm>
It's near your range, I'll let you all know what I think when it arrives on monday (and I've had ample time to use it)

Nice, man! Take a picture of how it writes if you have time. I like the "slip and seal design" as it would appear that the o-ring will prevent ink from spreading beyond the nib. It appears to have a similar converter device to what I have on my MonteVerde pens (a second look shows the plunger is a different.) Sometimes the plunger on mine would allow ink to slip past it :???: but I could always take it apart and clean it out. I'm looking forward to seeing your review.
<<

youluckyfox

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:07 am

jones wrote:During the years I sold guns I used a cross fountain pen, the refills are very affordable and they also have a way for you to draw your own ink. I have found that nowadays I just don't write enough with the fountain pen to justify using it, and I went back to my Parker Rollerball, which is a very sweet refillable. Thing I have found is the refills cost more than I wanna pay, so I'm always getting ripped off buying old refills off E-Bay. The older refills almost always develop a leak and lose their propellant gas, then I hafta keep the pen in my pocket turned upside down, so gravity will keep the ink going. The writing is sooo smoooth either way

As with you I put my fountain pens away (until I get something better,) though for the reasons that I haven't bought new ink in awhile and got tired of the pens being leaky. They do seem to help my penmanship, and I really dig how smooth the pens write, though. I mean, you technically don't even have any part of the pen on the paper at all, the ink gets drawn out by capillary action and flows with the travel of the nib! :hbg:
<<

NNFAK

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:53 am

The Platinum 3776 Century rules! I don't know what it is about the really flat nib but I am in love with it! After I sell a few more pens, I am going to be picking up a Nakaya... same awesome flat Platinum nib and a really awesome barrel and cap. Probably going to go with this one http://www.nibs.com/Nakaya-Naka-ai-Ciga ... menuri.htm
Next

Return to The Inkwell