FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Ink run out again

<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:17 pm

Ink run out again

Thought this was the best place for this topic - inkwell

it seems every other day I am - changing the black cartridge on my cannon printer for a new one

so rather than buy a new cartridge I decided to fill my own - with one of those universal ink bottle refill packs

save a packet I thought - wrong lol

turns out the cartridge as a chip - a chip wtf this sends a signal to printer with a error code 5200 on mine

tank - cartridge empty and does not let you use cartridge until it as been put on a device called a ink level resetter

many vids on youtube - all not working for me - security grumble

so before running out and buying your ink refill bottles - check if its chipped & never thought I would be saying that

in this life time - the best idea yet was to confuse the internal memory built into printer :shock: as they only store up to 4

cartridge chip numbers at a time ? ? ? ? so will need 4 cartridges then your refilled cartridge should work

fact or fiction let us know your ideas or what worked for you lol :mrgreen:
Last edited by 10ringo10 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:22 pm

Re: Ink run out again

Yea, all the newer printers have chips in them so even if you have a ton of ink left it will still say empty.

Thankfully offbrand cartridges are cheaper. I went to a toner printer after several ink cartridges dried out on me. Ton more capacity and almost never goes bad.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:51 pm

Im going to cartridge world - sometime this week to see if I can pry any tips - knowledge out of the shop assistant

just going to ask them point blank - reset level on chip so I can use this damn thing

guy knows me as he sees me every bloody week - in the shop lol :boxing:
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:57 pm

With my newer printer the black toner holds 2000 pages, 1000 for the color and aftermarket cartridges are only $30.

<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:10 pm

WOW ! mines no where near to that amount - RIY

I would guess 200 pages black for a full cartridge - 7-8 pence A4 copy on mine its a small - - home office printer
<<

Riyame

Post Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:19 pm

Yea, a laser/toner printer holds a lot more than an inkjet. Even with the actual manufacturer cartridges it is only $0.05 or less per page for B&W. About double that for color.

Mine is a home printer as well. Got it on sale, here is the manufacturer page for it. http://www.office.xerox.com/printers/color-printers/phaser-6010/enus.html

<<

Neilau

Post Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:51 pm

Bubble jet ink is one of the most expensive substances, per gram, on earth.

That’s why you can buy a printer for, well, under $50. It is the “Gillette” principle of marketing. Mr. Gillette was supposed to have said “ give the razors away and charge like a wounded bull for the blades” – paraphrasing.

The scam has a number of features. A new printer has only “sample” size cartridges. After a couple of pages you have to go out and spend about $100 for a full set of cartridges.

Every time you turn your printer on and every few minutes while it is on, it performs a head clean. This involves squirting a small amount of ink into a felt pad. So, if you leave your printer on and don’t print anything, you will be out of ink in a couple of weeks. Only turn the printer on when you are going to use it.

The cartridge will register as empty even when there are a few cc’s of ink left.

The scam continues. After a certain number of pages the printer will “brick” itself. It is possible to reset it but is a pain and most people will just by a new one. Why not, they are cheap enough? Right??

But wait, there’s more. If you have a multifunction unit, all other functions, like faxing and copying will stop if you have ONE empty ink cartridge.

One solution is to get a laser printer – if you don’t need colour. You will still get a “sample” ink cartridge but new ones are relative cheap and will last for over a thousand pages. You CAN get these cartridges refilled.

As I don’t need to print out as much as I used to, I use my 10” tablet for reading articles that I download and use a pen to hand write any correspondences. That’s suits my situation and I realize it is not suitable for many circumstances. I have one of the first lasers (about 25 years old) that I use occasionally and it still works!!!
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:21 pm

Great write up there - :razz:
can not argue with that at all - I do feel the chip was introduced into the cartridges at some point to screw us
the consumer :???: a ink level chip device requiring re setting
<<

Riyame

Post Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:40 pm

My old inkjet actually had "refillable" cartridges that you could purchase from them. Duno if it was chipped or not. Got sick of ink drying out and it being FUBAR every time I really needed it.

<<

davesnothere11

Familiar Face

Post Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:54 pm

On my Kodak All-in-One printer you can beat that chip with a little scotch tape over it. You don't get they read out for how much ink is in there though (as if it really reads the truth of what's in the cartridge).
(18:56:54) HAL 9000 Sez: It isn't so much bait as it is chum

My lock photography: https://flic.kr/s/aHskv3U6Tx
My picking videos:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr_YDBWHU0VpoIjmfocIbuw
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:59 am

I've seen and read many things about planned obsolescence. You may start by watching this old (but gold) documentary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfbbF3oxf-E

Cheers :)
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:20 am

So after visiting cartridge world -
got my answer NO we will not reset cartridge - then said he would test it in the back & brought out a test sheet
he had printed off using my cartridge lol
He said i quote " Theres ink in it -" four short words WTF then offered to sell me another new one -

Conclusion we are being mislead - and spending money on a device built - not for safety as I see it
Simply put chip locks you out - so you buy a new cartridge filled by them or sold by another retailer
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:07 pm

:kickyoass:
:slam:

:steam:
:puke:
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:27 am

This is why I simply refuse to own a printer. If I need to print something I'll use the ones at work. Utterly absurd.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:10 am

There have been a few class action lawsuits about this stuff.
I know HP lost one since their gauge to tell you when it's empty, was telling people to replace it when it was still nearly half full.
The problem is, ink is so profitable, the payout for these lawsuits aren't enough to discourage the way they're doing things.

I got fed up and just bought a color laser printer when I found one for a good deal. Toner isn't "cheap" but it's WAY more affordable than ink. Also, it doesn't matter if you don't print for months on end. When I'd do that with an ink printer I'd find the ink had dried up or clogged shut. With laser, it just kicks out a print like no time had passed. Prints MUCH faster than inkjet also.

It's a xerox Phaser 6500. Relatively old model, but it's proven to be such a dependable workhorse they've been selling this same model for a long time now.
Next

Return to The Inkwell