FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Information about ASSA Ruko

<<

LocksportSouth

Post Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:03 pm

Information about ASSA Ruko

I apologise if this is the wrong forum to post this in, but I wrote this pertinent information on another forum and felt it should be shared here so everyone can benefit from this lesser known and undervalued lock brand :D

-------------------------

I can attribute my love of locks and security primarily to two padlocks (it's a long story) - the Cisa straight-shackle padlocks, and Assa Rukos. Now, until a few days ago (and finding this forum) I had no idea what the Ruko was actually called, so always just thought of it as that "strange little black wobbly padlock". Not only have I found out the name for these, I've luckily had the occasion to purchase one (more details when it arrives - I'm very excited :D).

I should point out that all the details below are concerning Ruko padlocks, not the oval cylinders and other stuff, which aren't my interest.

I've done a bit of research to find out more about Rukos, but I'm mostly coming up blank. Assa have an official site for them (as they do for all of their sub-brands), but as with all their other brands you cannot buy from their site. The fact that they maintain a site for Rukos makes me think that they are still manufacturing these, but when you google anything like "Assa Ruko", "Assa Ruko Buy Online" etc etc, all you really find are the official Assa site, places that cut keys, spam links, PDFs and (if you Google Image Search and then click through to sites showing pictures of actual Rukos) lock picking forums such as this one an another prominent forum. This leads me to think that they aren't being manufactured for general sale.

There's currently nothing on eBay UK or US, or Amazon UK or US - at least, not for padlocks (there are some Ruko oval cylinders and the like).
Now, I've had a couple of leads - a company called HSL-online wells the grade 3 open shackle version for a very reasonable price, but that looks like the only one that they sell unfortunately (in Key locking and snap locking varients).
I've also seen a few YouTube videos from pickers or collectors who have these, as well as threads on another picking forum with someone who has a large collection, but obviously those are collector's ones.
I think maybe I came across an eBay auction for a grade 1 one, but I can't find it now so maybe it sold?

This seems pretty strange to me, since you think if they were still making these (which I assume is the case since they're keeping up an Assa site for them, I could be wrong though) even if they were only being sold B2B and to large companies, they would end up on eBay and other reseller sites more often having been replaced for upgrades etc.

I've figured out that they come in 4 security levels, indicated by a coloured stripe down the side of the lock body. From least to most secure:
Grade 1 - Yellow stripe
Grade 2 - Green stripe
Grade 3 - Blue stripe
Grade 4 - Red stripe

They also come in open and closed shackle varieties (I'm not sure if there are both at every grade, but 3 and 4 definitely have closed shackle versions). There appear to be a variety of different sizes too, but I've been unable to discover the full extent of the range so far.

BosnianBill's video "Ruko's War Against Lockpickers" has been very helpful in laying some of the groundwork for my research and I recommend it to anyone else looking for Rukos.

My investigations continue, but if you can contribute any more information it would be greatly appreciated. Specifically, stuff like:

* product brochures or diagrams of the internals
* PDFs or webpages listing all or some of the different versions available - sizes, open/closed shackle, model numbers
* Current production and distribution status - are they in production? Are they being sold to business only? Are there any official distributors?
* Any sites, auction links, resellers or distributing these

Since Cisa locks are easy to come by (and I will be picking up a couple soon), I've decided to focus the start of my lock collecting journey on Rukos :). Any info that you may have is valuable! Hopefully this thread helps out anyone else with these questions also.

I'll attach a couple of photos or Rukos for anyone wanting an at-a-glace look at what these look like. They aren't hotlinked (hosted on my own photobucket) but those are NOT my pics; I found them on Google Image Search so if it's not allowed to display other people's photos please let me know and I'll remove them. Of course I claim no copyright or ownership on these pics:

---------------------
Post 2 (where I found out a load of stuff)
---------------------

Ok, I've got some super exciting, awesome news. I also have more info about Rukos. This is gonna be long, so stick around if you're interested in Ruko stuff and want to be able to purchase them.

So - story time. Last night I was back to researching Ruko padlocks, trying to track down any information or sources for suppliers etc. I should give you some relevant links off the bat:

Official Site

Bosnian Bill YouTube Video about the history of Rukos

Youtube Video from HifiCentret containing info on the coloured stripes (SKAFOR system) as well as some generic Ruko stuff. (Plus showing off 3 Ruko padlocks).

So anyway. While researching I was mostly Googling for things such as "Assa Ruko", "Buy Ruko Padlocks Online" "Buy Assa Ruko UK" "and similar stuff. Generally when I've done this I've come up completely blank, even browsing through image search and clicking through to pages based on pics of actual Rukos - it's usually collectors pictures on lockpicking forums or old, expired eBay auctions.

However, I got inspired to try just "Assa padlocks" rather than mentioning Ruko at all. My reasoning was that maybe some people selling them wouldn't know that they were called Ruko, and would just put them down as Assa. I assumed that I'd get mostly Abloy padlocks, but one of my first search hits pulled up a UK company called Assalocksuk#, who supply a small range of Ruko padlocks. As it turns out, this site (and the fact that "Assa Ruko" doesn't come up with much in results, but that "Assa padlock" did find this site) was one of my major breakthroughs.

Instead of calling the padlocks Ruko, this company refers to their padlock range as "Assa Flexcore". Flexcore? What's that? Assuming it to be a reference to the core mechanism in use in the locks, I started writing a long email to the company detailing what I know about Rukos so far, what I'm looking for and asking them for details such as what they have in stock, what they can get and if they know anything about them such as what cores are available and what their grades are (mentions Class 2 on the homepage, which is fine as they are green stripe, but then says Grade 3 inside the descriptions - are these different things? Who knows).

In between writing paragraphs, I started combing back over my previous research, trying to ensure that my facts were correct before sending them out into the ether. With a limited pool of actual facts and evidence, I once again came across that HifiCentret video that I mentioned before, while getting my facts straight about the SKAFOR grading and coloured striped (Link again).

Now, I've found this video a few times and found it interesting and did always wonder if it would be a key to more information, as the paper slides seem to give out some key info hidden in plain sight. Turns out I just needed to think outside the box. Digging more deeply into the YT vid I noted that the SKAFOR system is Danish, and Rukos are in fact a Danish lock, something that people mentioned in the comments and also the uploader in the description.

He also mentioned the Ruko Garant -
More locks to come. At least the SKAFOR red rated locks will be with the Ruko Garant cylinders. And at least one with the older Garant10 and one with the newer GarantPlus.

Hmm.

So I started Googling Ruko Garant, as well as Flexcore. EVERYTHING is in Danish, no English content at all. That explains why none of my searches were yielding any results. It seems that the Ruko padlocks are somewhat common in Denmark, and probably easy to Google if you know what you're searching for. After a lot of digging, and liberal use of Google Translate, I've found these. Now - this almost certainly isn't the ONLY online locksmith in Denmark that sells Rukos, but it was the easiest to find and they claim that they're the biggest locksmith there - good enough for me.

Assa Ruko Locks using Garant Plus Core
Assa Ruko Padlocks using D12 Core
Assa Ruko Padlocks using 6 pin core
Assa Ruko Padlocks using 5 pin core

YESSSS!

Note that if you don't speak Danish, what I'd recommend to view the above is to use the Google Chrome browser and then right click > Translate to English on all of those pages. You'll need to do this every time you click a link, but it DOES allow you to browse the site AND sign up (it doesn't reset cookies as I was expecting, as I assumed that Google would be re-routing the page through their proxy to do the translations - either it does but keeps cookies persistent or it does something else such as editing the displayed code directly similar to the edit source trick).

Note also that the above shop doesn't seem to stock Grade 1 (Yellow stripe) padlocks. This is a shame but I'm confident that they will be possible to track down - after translating their about page they also mention that they can get whatever they don't stock, so they might even be able to track them down.

I still have a lot of unanswered questions, such as:

* What is Flexcore? Is that another name for the 5 and 6 pin cylinders above?
* Are there any other core types?
* What are the details, specifications and differences between the Garant and the Garant Plus?
* As above but for the Garant range as a whole vs D12, vs 5/6pin?
* Why are some models which seem roughly the same (e.g. RG5649 in Garant Plus) cheaper than their equivalent in lower grade cylinders (5 pin equivalent seems to be the 4549 BOLT Padlock, looks identical but costs ~60DKK more)
* Does this site have ALL the models of Ruko? Is there a chart or PDF somewhere with all the Ruko models in it?
* What about old/retired models/cores?
* Will they ship to the UK? What will shipping cost? ##

But at least we're getting somewhere now that I have some core names and knowledge of where you can find these. I'll update this thread with any more details as I find them out.

In terms of pricing, the site linked above just displays a number, such as "803.60" or "1932.13". In absence of currency marks, I'll assume that this is the Danish Krone (DKK) (figured this out through typing "Danish" into XE converter box). If that's the case, prices range from around £33 (more typically £55) up to around £150-£170 at the top end - about what you'd expect for a high-end padlock from the UK or US. ###

As I mentioned above, the site mentioned doesn't seem to stock yellow-stripe grade 1 padlocks. What they mostly seem to stock is Green stripe (grade 2) in a range of different shackle thicknesses and heights (Doesn't quite line up perfectly - see the chart below), and then the blue and red stripe padlocks (Grade 3 and 4, respectively) each in two bodies - an open shackle design and a straight-shackle (closed shackle) shutter-lock style design.

As I mentioned, these designs seems to be mostly (but not perfectly) consistent across cores - that is to say, you can get "Grade 2 - Body 1", "Grade 2 - Body 2", "Grade 3 - Body 1" etc etc, each of which can be fitted with any of the cores (Garant Plus, D12, 6 Pin, 5 Pin), and in fact most of the bodies are listed on each of the pages linked above (links are one core type per page).

This means that as a collector you have a few options if you want to build a collection of Ruko padlocks. In order of ascending craziness / rich-ness:

1. Buy one padlock from each grade (one green stripe (grade 2), one blue stripe (grade 3) and one red stripe (grade 4)), each with an appropriate core. This would give you 3-4 locks depending on whether you can source a yellow stripe (grade 1) lock.

2. Buy a selection of bodies (e.g. One or two green stripe locks and both of the varieties of red/blue stripe), each with an appropriate core. This could yield you 6 to 8 locks depending on whether you can track down the yellow stripe ones.

3. Buy every single body, just once, with an appropriate core. Based on the locks shown on the site above, that would give you around 10 locks (not including yellow stripe), since D12, 6 Pin and 5 Pin categories all have 10 locks (Garant has 11).

4. Buy every single body in every single core variation. Basically then you'd have the complete set - all the bodies in all the cores that they can come in. Based on the site above, and NOT including yellow stripe locks, that would yield you 41 locks! Sheesh! (11 padlocks under Garant plus, 10 under D12, 10 under 6 Pin and 10 under 5 Pin)

What do I mean by an appropriate core? Well, I've not been able to dig up concrete details on the technical specs of the cores... Yet... But I assume that the Ruko cores go as follows, from lowest to highest security:

5 Pin } May be "Flexcore"??
6 Pin } ^^^
D12
Garant (Not stocked at the above store)
Garant Plus

So you would naturally fit a green stripe lock (lowest body security) with a lower security core - such as a 6 pin, say. Then a D12 in a blue stripe, and a Garant Plus in a red stripe. Just for example. That said, as I mentioned before the price doesn't necessarily go down as you reduce the core mechanism quality, for some reason.

Here's a chart that I put together comparing the models in each category:

And an overview of all models available from that site:

And here are some notes that I made whilst compiling the above tables:

My Research wrote:RG = Ruko Garant
RD = Ruko D12

2*** = Grade 2 (Green Stripe)
3*** = Grade 3 (Blue Stripe)
4*** = Grade 4 (Red Stripe)

***9 are Straight shackle (Shutter) locks
***1 seems to be the standard open shutter of each series

Above also applies to the rest of the cores - D12, 6 Pin and 5 Pin

*4** and *6** may refer to the number of pins, as 6-pin cores are *6** and 5 pin cores are *5**. Garant and D12 are both *6**

Not sure why the Red stripe shutter lock (5649) starts with a 5...
... Or why the 5 Pin version is the 4549 rather than 5549...

Based on the above:

X*** = Grade, where X = 1m 2, 3 or 4
*X** = Number of Pins (5 or 6)
**X* = Unknown, may just mean "Padlock" to differentiate from other locks
***X = Lock type. 0/1 is normal open shackle, 9 is Shutter, 3 is long shackle. Not sure about 6, or if 0/1 is different.

As it turns out, all the numbering is actually pretty symmetrical after all. The confusion I had was becase the 5 Pin locks are laid out in a totally different order on the site than on the other pages for some reason, and also because the RG 2647 model is missing from D12, 6 Pin and 5 Pin cylinder varients.

I found a few more links:

Official Ruko page in Danish

Ruko 1541 - Found this by substituting the first number in the 4 digit code and iterating (nothing for 1540). Strangely this padlock shows up at this link but doesn't seem to be under the general search page on this site for Ruko padlocks.

Interesting titbit - Hængelås appears to be Danish for Padlock - may be useful when researching.

Not having much other luck finding 1*** locks - doesn't help that I could be way off, for example searching, say 1541 when maybe grade 1 locks are only 4 pin, which would be 1441 etc. Have tried quite a few combinations now and not having any luck - let me know if any of you come across any yellow stripe (Grade 1) Rukos!

---
Footnotes from above
---

# Also "Master Lock and Safe", they seem to have two associated companies. Looking them up on Google and also Google Street View at their retail postcode they're trading under the name Master Lock and Safe, with that name being on their store front. Assalocksuk seems to be only mentioned on their website.

## I got this partially answered by signing up and following the cart through. I haven't ordered yet, but they do seem to ship internationally (their cart lets me select UK) and shipping for 1 padlock came up as around £33 in DKK which is pretty reasonable if it scales ok with more than 1 lock.

### In case you want to check the rates yourself, I use XE for currency conversion as it has a lot of currencies and uses fair, Mid-Market Rates as the basis for its conversions. Simply type "DKK" (it will show up as DKK - Danish Krone) into the first box and your currency into the second.

-------
Useful Ruko Facts that I've figured out so far

Here's everything I know.

Assa Ruko are a Danish lock company who are now part of the Assa Abloy group.
Newer Rukos (I believe since Assa took them over) have a black, serrated-style body that looks like this:

However older Rukos has brass bodies and looked like this:

(Disclaimer - Not my photo, found it on Google Image Search).

Ruko manufacture not just padlocks but also other types of locking cylinders etc. I've not looked into the details for those since that's not where my interest lies but the info is out there if anyone is interested.
The padlocks are split into four security tiers, and these are denoted by the coloured stripe down the right hand side of all Ruko locks.

Grade 1 - Lowest Security - Yellow stripe
Grade 2 - Medium Security - Green stripe
Grade 3 - High Security - Blue stripe
Grade 4 - Maximum Security - Red stripe

(Disclaimer - Not my photo, screenshot from this video

The colours come from the "SKAFOR, short for SKAdesFORsikringen, "which in Danish directly translate to The Damage Insurance. It's a group of insurance companies and it's their standard for common forced entrance safety." - quite thanks to YouTube member Ty Cetto in the comments of this video.

Generally, Ruko padlocks come in 4 core varieties:

5 and 6 pin - Both may be part of "Flexcore" (unconfirmed) (low security)
D12 (middle security)
Garant, and Garant Plus (Higher security)

I don't know a great deal about these cores yet, but I did find a PDF file written by Han Fey on the D12 core, which can be found Here.
(If you don't want to click a PDF link, google search for the paper's title, "The ASSA d12 and some other Swedish products" - it's the top Google result. Note that there may be similar things for the Garant, 5 and 6 pin but I haven't researched that far yet.

There's also a very brief stub article on the LockWiki about the D12 core HERE

Update - there's a brochure for the Garant Plus but it's in Danish so I can't read in. HERE'S the link. From what I can deduce in the photo and captions, it's a 6-pin ("sifter" seems to be pins) core with a sidebar system ("Patenteret sidekodesystem" - Patented Sidebar?)

The Ruko name is taken from the lock's creator, RUdolf KOreska
Except for the Grade 1 (Yellow) Ruko padlocks, they're all re-kyable (removable cylinder)
They all seem to use ball bearing locking except for the shutter locks of course
AFAIK they all have "dead cylinders" (keyway is not under sprint tension and will not "snap back" when letting go of the key or closing the lock.

Please see post above for details concerning exact specifications, where to buy, etc.

--------

How You Can Help

Calling all Rukophiles! I need some assistance filling in my knowledge. I'm having trouble tracking down the following details:

1. Anything about the Grade 1 padlocks - what all the model number are, where to buy them, specifications
2. Tech specs on the Garant Plus and D12 systems
3. What the FlexCore system is, whether that relates to the standard "6 pin" and "5 pin" Ruko varieties and if not, where both of these fit in
4. Other sellers, resellers and distributors, key words or model numbers to search on eBay, etc
5. Any model numbers that I may have missed
6. Any details about the history, technical details or anything else about Ruko padlocks that I may have missed

I will be supremely grateful to anyone who can fill in these gaps, and in turn, I hope that this post will help future collectors or Ruko fans quickly and efficiently track down details and working Ruko padlocks :).

UPDATES
This is stuff I found out whilst putting this post together. May also be random steam of consciousness stuff as I try to figure things out.

This screenshot:

Courtesy of BosnianBill's video points out that the Grade 1 lock is equivalent to a "Ruko 500". The coloured tiers above that are "600" and "1200" for Grade 2 (green), "DP+" for grade 3 (blue) and "DP" for grade 4 (red). None of these correlate to the research that I have done so far so I'll need to look into this more. Not sure where 500, 600, 1200, DP+ and DP fit in with Garant, Garant Plus, D12 and 5/6 Pin.

Seems that the FlexCore is a different thing, may not be related to the 5 and 6 pin padlocks after all (just re-watching Bosnian Bill's video). Flexcores have a rod in the bottom of the keyway but seem to be standard pins. Model 600 has double cuts in the key - up to 12 for master keying purposes. (A lot of this stuff, inc. the pin wings sounds a lot like that D12 PDF that I linked before - maybe they are the same thing?). Model 640 has side pins. DP+ has a laser track on the key (side pins) along with the regular pins (plus up to 12 pins).

Regardless, I'm really super excited to find a seller for these locks. Just hoping and praying that it's not a scam, that they have them in stock and that they ship to the UK! Heh :)

I decided to quickly go through the chart I posted above and add a column for price in £ GBP to make it easier for me to see at a glance how much the locks are. I figured for the benefit of all I'd add a $ USD and Euro column too :D.

Method and disclaimer: I created this by checking the current mid-market rate on XE and then threw together a quick formula to calculate the price in GBP, USD and EUR based on the original price in DKK (Krone). Please note that the exact rate is constantly fluctuating and thus the price you see here won't accurately reflect the exact conversion rate (it's changed even since I started making the graph!). However, the figure is roughly accurate to within a few pence. Also note that if the original price changes on the site and/or the value of the DKK against [your currency] changes, this will affect this chart.

This chart is mostly accurate as of 2nd December 2015 but this will likely change more and more as time goes on. Also note that the rate this is based on is XE's mid-market rate and will be more "favourable" than the rate you'd get from Paypal etc. This is meant only as a rough guide in case you're curious roughly how much one of these locks will set you back. Don't forget to include shipping from Europe and import taxes.

<<

Korver15

Familiar Face

Post Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:08 am

Re: Information about ASSA Ruko

Oh wow! This is an excellent help! This is exactly the same thing that I am currently reading up on as I am trying so hard to find the green shrouded padlock with the Garant Plus core. which is fking awesome.
I know of a write up that includes the D12 by the same person who did write ups on the assa twin series. But other than that, I am a couple days behind you on your googling. Definitely going to check that link out but I highly doubt that they will ship over the pond to the US :slam: .
A wise man once told me I was a unique person. Just like everyone else. Korver15 Channel
<<

LocksportSouth

Post Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:01 pm

They definitely ship to the UK (Just found that out about an hour ago :D) so I'm sure they'll ship to the US as well :). I'd imagine it'd be a lot easier if you speak Danish but thankfully Google translate is always to hand!

In terms of the Green shrouded padlock with the Garant Plus core, did you mean This one?
It's currently going for 803,60DKK which is currently $117.26 (approx). They also charge a flat international shipping charge of 250DKK ($36.48). Since it comes up as flat rate, I assume it's the same regardless of where they send it :).

Ah yeah, that D12 write up was really cool :). I've not managed to find out too much yet about the D12, Garant Plus and 500/600 series (which seem to be what that shop refers to as the 6 pin and 5 pin versions) and other things such as the Flexcore and how this all fits together, but I'm sure the info is out there somewhere...
<<

Korver15

Familiar Face

Post Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:37 pm

The information is probably in a danish brochure that google translate won't touch. lol

And yes, that is the padlock I'm looking for :mrgreen: . Did you receive your purchase yet? Does it come fully assembled with keys and ID card? A couple place I saw them sold were sub assembled.
A wise man once told me I was a unique person. Just like everyone else. Korver15 Channel
<<

LocksportSouth

Post Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:54 pm

Korver15 wrote:The information is probably in a danish brochure that google translate won't touch. lol

Exactly my thoughts :). I need to hire a translator! Haha

Korver15 wrote:And yes, that is the padlock I'm looking for :mrgreen: . Did you receive your purchase yet? Does it come fully assembled with keys and ID card? A couple place I saw them sold were sub assembled.

I've only just placed the order today unfortunately, I spend a few days deliberating.. I'm not sure what shipping method they use (it translates only as "International Flat Rate" or something to that effect, and it's only about £35 so it's probably an economy service considering that's International...) so I have no idea when it will arrive - still waiting on some stuff from the US that I ordered ~2 weeks ago. But at soon at the order arrives I'll be doing a detailed review and probably an unboxing too and pop that either in here or a link to my "My locks" thread :).

FWIW though, the individual photos of the locks on their site show the ID cards etc, so I'm hoping that they come included. I was tempted to email them first to ask a couple of questions (whether they come in the original boxes, with ID cards etc, what Intl shipping options they offer, etc) but figured I'd probably just mess up the translation and end up in a worse situation or end up confusing them so I just put an order in. That said, you could always write a quick message saying something like "Hi, just wondering whether the <lock you want here> comes in it's original Ruko packaging with the ID card?", run it through Google Translate (Set From as English and To as Danish), and then email it to one of the staff on their Contact page (I'd recommend one of the "Holders" / "Indehavere" - top row, to make sure it gets through to someone important, or their store manager, "Butik Søborg hovedgade 52" - 3rd row). You might want to add something at the bottom about having run it through Google Translate, so apologies for the bad translation :D.

Out of interest, where else did you see them? I've not been able to find Rukos anywhere outside of a single one on one website and a small handful on assalocksuk, and the occasional eBay auction. That said, I only scratched the surface of Googling in Danish. I'm sure with a few more hours research I'd be able to dig up some more online stores. FWIW though, this one reckons they're the biggest online locksmiths in Denmark :)
<<

kk500

Familiar Face

Post Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:19 pm

Amazingly detailed information!!! Thanks~~~

I love Assa Ruko padlocks, but being frustrated at the availability both locally and online. Good find on the Danish website!

Will be good to my collection (but bad for my wallet) :shock:
- David
"I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information."
<<

LocksportSouth

Post Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:29 pm

kk500 wrote:Amazingly detailed information!!! Thanks~~~

You're welcome :). Glad I was able to contribute! I wish I knew more, sadly info about Rukos is a little elusive (understatement of the year).

kk500 wrote:I love Assa Ruko padlocks, but being frustrated at the availability both locally and online. Good find on the Danish website!

I know, right? It's like they don't want us to buy their locks. You'd think that being under the pall of Assa Abloy now, they'd put serious marketing behind the Ruko brand and try to push them internationally. This was the only serious (i.e. more than just a handful of models, or auction sales) site that I could find that sell them.

kk500 wrote:Will be good to my collection (but bad for my wallet) :shock:

Hah! That should be made the official Keypicking / lock collector's slogan :mrgreen:

P.s. Is that a Lego safe in your avatar? I googled "Lego Safe" but I couldn't find that one. If you know what it's called / model number or anything, could you let me know? I'd love to get one for my desk :D
<<

kk500

Familiar Face

Post Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:17 am

P.s. Is that a Lego safe in your avatar? I googled "Lego Safe" but I couldn't find that one. If you know what it's called / model number or anything, could you let me know? I'd love to get one for my desk :D

http://www.collectobil.com/catalogue/items/3161.htm

Proportionally the safe would be over 2m in height in real life :drool:
- David
<<

stefan042

Post Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:19 am

Very interesting read, I'm new to lock picking and for me, this is very helpful and interesting.
<<

Korver15

Familiar Face

Post Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:16 pm

stefan042 wrote:Very interesting read, I'm new to lock picking and for me, this is very helpful and interesting.

Welcome to the best locksport forum stefan! Good to have you. If you are interested in Rukos you should watch the BosnianBill video that LocksportSouth mentioned. He does a great job and BosnianBill was VERY helpful for me as a beginner picker :mrgreen: But we should try and keep this topic on track.

LocksportSouth wrote:Out of interest, where else did you see them? I've not been able to find Rukos anywhere outside of a single one on one website and a small handful on assalocksuk, and the occasional eBay auction. That said, I only scratched the surface of Googling in Danish. I'm sure with a few more hours research I'd be able to dig up some more online stores. FWIW though, this one reckons they're the biggest online locksmiths in Denmark :)

I looked through my history, but it turns out that google does not translate my history names. Come on google step it up. When I find it I'll post it here or most likely pm you since we have located a site that appears to sends them fully assembled. I would not doubt they are the biggest one judging by their very impressive inventory! I also emailed Assa Inc. U.S. requesting information about the availability of Assa Ruko locks that are not the general Assa catalogue. So we will see how that pans out.

LocksportSouth wrote:FWIW though, the individual photos of the locks on their site show the ID cards etc, so I'm hoping that they come included. I was tempted to email them first to ask a couple of questions (whether they come in the original boxes, with ID cards etc, what Intl shipping options they offer, etc) but figured I'd probably just mess up the translation and end up in a worse situation or end up confusing them so I just put an order in. That said, you could always write a quick message saying something like "Hi, just wondering whether the <lock you want here> comes in it's original Ruko packaging with the ID card?", run it through Google Translate (Set From as English and To as Danish), and then email it to one of the staff on their Contact page (I'd recommend one of the "Holders" / "Indehavere" - top row, to make sure it gets through to someone important, or their store manager, "Butik Søborg hovedgade 52" - 3rd row). You might want to add something at the bottom about having run it through Google Translate, so apologies for the bad translation :D.

I have to put a pin in this until after Christmas when I have had time to work and move some invested locks around so I can actually buy them :mrgreen:. So I will be eagerly anticipating your unboxing! You should record it and put it up on youtube!
<<

LocksportSouth

Post Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:30 pm

Oh! I keep forgetting to make a YouTube account.. Well more accurately, I have created one but not made any videos yet. I don't really have a proper workspace - I have to carefully crop and stage my photos to cut out all my crap in the background :D It'll be easier to film once I have a bit of spare space, currently looking into options.

Just a quick update re: that shop. I placed the order and paid, however this morning found my order cancelled. I contacted them about it and they said they do not accept credit cards for International orders, only bank transfer, and that I have to pay the bank fees on both sides. We had a little back and forth, they sent me the bank details (Swift and IBAN) but not the address/name of the business and address of bank. My online banking wouldn't let me proceed so I contacted my bank and they told me I -need- those details to proceed. I replied to the shop to let them know what I needed, and they didn't reply back (this was several hours before closing). I'm eagerly awaiting to see if they reply tomorrow or if they've just decided I'm too much hassle :/.

Either way it looks like I'm going to have to make a special trip to my bank branch to sort this because via online/phone banking they don't allow you to accept paying both your bank and THEIR bank's Intl transaction fees (mine should be around £10, their's may be the same but I dunno), as that can only be done in branch. What a faff!
<<

Korver15

Familiar Face

Post Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:09 pm

I learned they do not ship to the US. Damnit. If we have any people who live in denmark they could buy it and then they send it :mrgreen:
<<

LocksportSouth

Post Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:28 am

Sorry to hear that :(. That really sucks - I dunno what's so much more difficult for them than shipping to the UK! I had to jump through a lot of hoops (going down to the bank branch to arrange a direct payment, covering fees on both sides etc) but it's been sent now so all that's left to find out is whether they are genuine and really will send the parcel or whether I've been conned :(.

I did ask them in an email whether in future I'd be allowed to use my credit card - if this order goes through successfully and the items turn up (I'll make a post :D), I'd be happy to act as an intermediary for you if you like? Obviously it'd be quite a bit more expensive as you'd need to cover both bank fees plus shipping from them to me and then from me to you, but I'd be happy to do this if you wanted :). It's a shame they are such a PITA to get hold of!
Edit: Just got a reply, future orders still have to be made by bank transfer, not credit card. Poot.
<<

kk500

Familiar Face

Post Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:11 am

boo... no hope they'll ship to Asia then.

I love Scandinavian locks... also Anchor Las... but it's the same story of poor availability.
- David
<<

LocksportSouth

Post Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:39 am

I did ask their team during our back and forths and they said that it's no problem for them to ship to the USA as long as you're happy to pay by bank transfer :). So I assume they will ship anywhere in the world.

Obviously that's riskier than Credit Card since there's no comeback / ability to claim fraud if nothing shows up when you use bank transfer. I've put a lot on the line for this order so if it comes through, I'm going to take that to mean that they're definitely legit, as this would be the perfect time for them to scam me if they weren't. Keeping fingers crossed!

But yeah, they should ship anywhere - if you're happy to jump through the bank transfer hoops (this may or may not involve you having to visit the branch, depending on the bank - my bank would let me do Intl transfers online but only where the recipient has to pay their own fees, whereas in this case you're required to pay the fees of the banks on both ends)
Next

Return to Locks Du Jour