FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Shed door handle

<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:18 pm

Shed door handle

Here are pics of my neighbor's door latch/lock on his newly purchased 8 x 12 utility shed. These are not high security handles by any means. After a few seconds of snickering I suggested that he remove the six 1.5" screws and replace them with 6" round-headed carriage bolts that are attached from the inside. He could then attach any lock he wanted. He only wants to keep the honest guy honest.
DSCI0027.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'Gunter glieben glauten globen' Def Leppard, Rock of Ages, 1983
<<

scudo

Post Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:03 am

Re: Shed door handle

OR.... just take a drill and round out the inside of the head so that a screwdriver wont turn the screws.
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:15 am

scudo wrote:OR.... just take a drill and round out the inside of the head so that a screwdriver wont turn the screws.

you could still remove the screws with a stripped screw extractor ;)
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:41 am

Get some long carriage bolts. Drill holes completely through the door, and use a nut and washer to secure the bolts from the inside.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:08 pm

[quote="GWiens2001"]Get some long carriage bolts. Drill holes completely through the door, and use a nut and washer to secure the bolts from the inside.

Gordon[/quot

that's what i told him. it's in the thread.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:15 pm

bitbuster wrote:
GWiens2001 wrote:Get some long carriage bolts. Drill holes completely through the door, and use a nut and washer to secure the bolts from the inside.

Gordon

that's what i told him. it's in the thread.

:slam: Sorry! My mind is not working today.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:40 pm

mine gets a much needed timeout every couple days.
<<

farmall

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:01 pm

No more the that that latch is holding I'd guess the door jam would flex enough to pop the door open.
<<

HT4

Post Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:43 am

Personally, I wouldn't bother changing it with the way sheds are built these days. What's the point of bolting to a frame piece that's held in with a couple of brads or staples? 5:1 odds that a normal guy could yank that door open with a couple of tries. Its like I tell my wife when I explain how easy the locks on our house are to open... I'll replace the locks as soon as we bar all the first floor windows, install reinforced doors in anchored steel frames, and board up our sliding glass door. A $200 lock doesn't mean anything when it's 10x easier to kick in the door or break a window. Same logic applies here.

That said, LOL at your "neighbor."
Check out my "LockPickingLawyer" YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9K6rby98W8JigLoZOh6FQ/videos

Return to Locks in the Wild