FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Subway Keys

<<

Subway_Keys

Post Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:51 pm

Subway Keys

Here are a few keys I have from the New York City Subway.
NYCT MDC Vapor key

NYCT HAFCO MDC key, same as the Vapor key but made by a cheaper provider

Old BRT cab key

IRT Gate key, used to unlock the gates between old subway cars

BMT cab key, the CTA in Chicago still uses a version of this key today without the cut out

I'll post more photos as I find them or if there is interest in them.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:53 pm

Re: Subway Keys

Nice assortment, thanks for sharing the pics.

Also, if you want you can upload pics directly into your forum post so you don't have to worry about keeping them in the same folder location in your external hosting account, to avoid the problem of broken links. That way if anything happens to any of the photo hosting sites, members here will still be able to enjoy the pictures.
<<

railtech

Familiar Face

Post Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:17 pm

Interested. Please post more pics and info.
<<

railtech

Familiar Face

Post Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:07 pm

I have some old brass keys that are marked ICRR (Illinois Central Railroad) that look very similar to that BMT cab key.
<<

darksim905

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:10 pm

Why does that first key have such an awkward bow? Make it goofy to carry or it's in a specific spot in a building key box?
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:45 pm

NYCS key. Anybody know what it is for?

PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

mercurial

Familiar Face

Post Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:41 am

Here is a padlock that uses such a key : http://www.antiquesnavigator.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=74&products_id=3170

Here is a link that(incorrectly?) describes it as an "Oiler's Key" : http://northshoretradingco.com/store/index.php?cPath=46&osCsid=vyxlubpnwpknra

...Mark
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:59 pm

mercurial wrote:Here is a padlock that uses such a key : http://www.antiquesnavigator.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=74&products_id=3170

Here is a link that(incorrectly?) describes it as an "Oiler's Key" : http://northshoretradingco.com/store/index.php?cPath=46&osCsid=vyxlubpnwpknra

...Mark

Oh, nice find, thank you.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:06 pm

Hey sweet to see NY stuff. I personally own one of those BMT cab key but without the cut out. I dont know about Chicago but they are still used in NY trains but not the brand new Kawasaki train all most all older ones. The key opens the doors between the train cars and also into the conductors boot :)
<<

Revinous

Familiar Face

Post Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:52 pm

Nice nyc keys. I my self live in NYC and looking for keys as well. Hopefully my collection can match or at least come close to what I've seen on here.
<<

railtech

Familiar Face

Post Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:08 pm

NYCS is New York Central System; the old freight and passenger railroad.

I believe "oiler key" may be accurate. I think it's describing a key to a lock that fits a flange lubricator. A flange lubricator puts oil on the rail/wheel interface to reduce friction (and wear) on the rail, usually on a very sharp curve or set of curves, where the rails would otherwise wear excessively.
<<

mercurial

Familiar Face

Post Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:30 pm

railtech wrote:NYCS is New York Central System; the old freight and passenger railroad.

I believe "oiler key" may be accurate. I think it's describing a key to a lock that fits a flange lubricator. A flange lubricator puts oil on the rail/wheel interface to reduce friction (and wear) on the rail, usually on a very sharp curve or set of curves, where the rails would otherwise wear excessively.

Thankyou for your insight, I know very little about railways, or the locks and keys associated with them. I have now seen a few instances of that key being for a padlock, do you think it's possible that it is both a padlock key & an oiler's key?

...Mark
<<

railtech

Familiar Face

Post Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:49 pm

mercurial wrote:
railtech wrote:NYCS is New York Central System; the old freight and passenger railroad.

Thankyou for your insight, I know very little about railways, or the locks and keys associated with them. I have now seen a few instances of that key being for a padlock, do you think it's possible that it is both a padlock key & an oiler's key?

...Mark

Flange lubricators are usually secured with a padlock.
<<

PhoneMan

I've gone and said something stupid, haven't I?
I've gone and said something stupid, haven't I?

Post Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:31 pm

Railroad keys are cool, awesome info!
<<

escher7

Post Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:12 am

A hundred years ago when I was a bored little delinquent living in a small town, my co-conspirator and I found some railway keys in a junk store. Turned out they fit every lock in the local CPR yards' giving us access to the shacks full of flares and all kinds of other goodies. Back in the pre-computer days they used torpedoes to signal train engineers as they passed them. These things contained a very substantial charge of explosive that hooked onto the track and exploded when the train ran over them. Not being very smart back then, we decided to clip one on a rail and throw rocks at it until it exploded; which it did, blowing us both back about ten feet and deafening us for about a week.
Fortunately, my old man found the keys and confiscated them before we derailed a train.

Return to Kool Keys