FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Unusual key

<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:48 pm

Re: Unusual key

Gregted wrote:My bad... Wasn't aware of that restriction about posting pics from other sites. Won't happen again..

Instead of posting the actual picture here just post a link to the picture on the source website and everybody is happy. :geek:
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

Lauren

Post Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:26 pm

I wonder how much of this key is actuating real locking components? It's possible that the cuts were made to obscure the key enough from anyone trying to make a copy. I see trees and a lot of forest in this key.
<<

Neilau

Post Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:44 am

WOW -- over 1000 views in three days. :-o :-o

I glad everyone found it so interesting.

Back on topic.

I have studied the "gut shots" and still can't see how/what controls the locking cam/bolt mechanism. It doesn't appear to have one, so I imagine that it is attaches separately and can be any number of cam/bolts.

Actually, I'm only just getting a picture (in my head) of how it works.

Awesome piece of engineering !!!
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:19 am

Neilau wrote:I have studied the "gut shots" and still can't see how/what controls the locking cam/bolt mechanism. It doesn't appear to have one, so I imagine that it is attaches separately and can be any number of cam/bolts.

Actually, I'm only just getting a picture (in my head) of how it works.

Awesome piece of engineering !!!

On the gut shots on the bottom row there are several bigger steel pieces. On the left is the piece that holds all of the discs. The discs also have the tabs on them that stick out. These stick into the cutouts on both the left and middle piece.

The left piece sits in the middle piece. The discs that stick out interlock with the cutouts in this piece that prevent it from rotating. When the key is inserted it draws all the discs into the middle and allows the left (inner) piece to rotate. See how the middle piece has a hole in the middle? The left piece will have tabs or indentations or something like that on the back/bottom which will interact with the bolt work.

<<

Riyame

Post Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:14 pm

Here is what it could look like on the back. The little tabs just to the sides of center actuate whatever they are attached to.

<<

Neilau

Post Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:16 pm

Thanks Riyame and to everyone else that contributed.

I really appreciate all the research that people have done and for pointing me in the right direction to do my own (a fair amount) plus the interesting sites that I have found.

I even came across one of these keys with a 40cm (almost 16 inches) long shaft !

http://blog.tresoroeffnung.de/2013/06/26/der-vermutlich-langste-tangential-schlussel/

I hope that everyone has enjoyed this as much as me.

That's why I love this site and the people on it. :hbg: :hbg: :hbg:
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
Previous

Return to Kool Keys