FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

A couple of cool keys

<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:13 pm

A couple of cool keys

A friend at church is a retired locksmith. He got rid of most of his locks, keys and tools a few years ago. However, today he gave me a few keys he still had. Very nice of him!

One time clock key, 4 master key blanks, and a novelty plastic key:

The novelty key is a knifeThe large key on the chain is for the lock in this picture:

I'll be tossing the time clock key in my unusual or cool keys collection.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:59 pm

Re: A couple of cool keys

And those are control key blanks, not master key blanks. Just used his term.

The time clock key also has an identification number on the bitting.

The lock, if you want one, ranges in price based on who you purchase it from. I have seen $300US to over $600US. Not likely to be adding it to my collection at those prices! :freakout: :freakout: :freakout:

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:09 pm

Very kind of that fella! I often find that with people too. Sometimes what they give me
means nothing to them... other times, they value it. But it's ALWAYS such a treat for me,
and I'm ALWAYS grateful (and happy I started the conversation, lol). I think people just
can't help but appreciate my passion and they know I'll just love something new.

The four "Master keyblanks"..... what are they too? I've never seen bows like that.

GWiens2001 wrote:....I'll be tossing the time clock key in my unusual or cool keys collection....
Soooooo, this collection... is it getting big? :D Are you out for particular keys, or just whatever sticks out to ya?
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:09 pm

Oldfast wrote:Very kind of that fella! I often find that with people too. Sometimes what they give me
means nothing to them... other times, they value it. But it's ALWAYS such a treat for me,
and I'm ALWAYS grateful (and happy I started the conversation, lol). I think people just
can't help but appreciate my passion and they know I'll just love something new.

Same here. I always appreciate it when someone is kind enough to give me a lock, key, or better yet, tips, advice and knowledge.

Oldfast wrote:The four "Master keyblanks"..... what are they too? I've never seen bows like that.

Neither had I. But they are control keys. He had used the term master keys by mistake, I think. He is now in his mid 80's, and I like talking with him about any subject. He loves to talk locks because he knows them and there are not too many of us who are fascinated with all things lock related.

Do not know what specific lock they were for, but it is the length of a 7 pin blank and has the profile of a... get this... Kwikset! Never heard of a lock with 7 pins using the same profile as a KW1. Hopefully one of the more experienced people here will fill us in.

Oldfast wrote:
GWiens2001 wrote:....I'll be tossing the time clock key in my unusual or cool keys collection....
Soooooo, this collection... is it getting big? :D Are you out for particular keys, or just whatever sticks out to ya?

No, my unusual key collection is not large yet. Mostly because I try to get the locks they go to as well, and some locks are, let's face it, expensive. But the collection is growing. I just added an Emhart key with tag to the collection because I just sent the lock with one of the keys, along with a couple others, to the U.K. to be made into cutaways for my collection. :mrgreen: I want to grow the collection of keys, too. But my budget is more limited than usual. Have a reunion next month, and need the money for that.

Gordon
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:20 pm

Not sure if he was confused or correct, but I think he was suggesting that those control keys were for the time clock. The main, large, key is used by the security guard to create a record that he is actually walking around, not sitting in the office. That is why the large key has a number on the bitting itself. It does not actually open the lock. The writing on the control keys says:

TC
CONTROL
KEY

And on the bow just below the bottom warding is either a capital I, lower case L, or a 1. It is clearly stamped of all four blanks, so it is not an accident. Suspect that is key blank identification .

The other side of the control key is... uhh... yeah... well, it is blank. :twisted:

Gordon
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:25 pm

Those control keys look a bit like Kwikset Titan core removal keys.
<<

Joe Momma

Familiar Face

Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:37 pm

here is a Kwikset random control key out of a rekey kit I have

underside control cut in different location, maybe Kwikset had several control cut locations??
yours looks like a Allmont rekey control cut sort of...

<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:10 pm

Well, it looks like it is a Kwikset control key. Thanks, MBI and Joe Momma. I'd say that if you trimmed off the 'overhang' on mine, then stamped CONTROL KEY more centered, and they would be identical. Yours even has the I, l, 1 or whatever it is supposed to be at the base of the first ward at the bow.

Gordon
<<

Joe Momma

Familiar Face

Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:44 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:And those are control key blanks, not master key blanks. Just used his term.

The time clock key also has an identification number on the bitting.

The lock, if you want one, ranges in price based on who you purchase it from. I have seen $300US to over $600US. Not likely to be adding it to my collection at those prices! :freakout: :freakout: :freakout:

Gordon

If I remember correctly the number gets stamped on a disc when turned to log the security guards rounds, different guards different keys
<<

PhoneMan

I've gone and said something stupid, haven't I?
I've gone and said something stupid, haven't I?

Post Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:47 pm

The way the time clock works is the guard carries the clock with him/her and on their rounds, there will be keys at certain locations, like a gate, doors, hallways etc. The keys are attached by that chain and usually kept in a small box. When the guard gets to that location, the clock stamps the key number as well as the time on a strip of paper.
If, say key 1 is at the main gate of a building and key 2 is on the front door, etc. the building owner/guard company/etc has a record of where the guard was at what time, this proves the guard was doing the appointed rounds.

Newer systems use barcodes, RFID, iButtons and various other technologies for the same purpose of the key. If you are ever at a mall and see barcodes near the locks of the main doors, that's probably what it is.

How do I know all this? Well, I've wanted one of the old round guard clocks for years and have done a bit of research on them! :cool:
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:53 pm

Great info, PhoneMan.

Gordon

Return to Kool Keys