FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Ilco "marlok" key

<<

PhoneMan

I've gone and said something stupid, haven't I?

Post Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:28 pm

Re: Ilco "marlok" key

Old computers are cool! I've always been a geek as well of somewhat of a tech historian in a way. My main collection is antique telephones, which for me encompasses anything from the early 80's on back, but I also like old computer/electronic stuff too. (And locks/ keys of course!)
<<

dll932

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:54 pm

I retrofitted a Marlok cylinder into a mortise lock maybe 25 years ago. Pretty flash stuff at the time.
<<

PhoneMan

Post Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:51 pm

dll932 wrote:I retrofitted a Marlok cylinder into a mortise lock maybe 25 years ago. Pretty flash stuff at the time.

No doubt! I bet it was expensive too! Also looks like it would be hard to spoof, unlike RFID.
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:51 am

You can see the red dots through the key simply with any penlight, if the room is dark and you hold the blade of the key between two fingers so that the fingers block the flashlight on either side of the key, you will also probably see some red light coming through your fingers, but you can see all the code of the little holes.

I think the lock is simply a reader that can read any key and programing is simply telling it which code to green light. I always wondered why these locks were a failure, Phoneman or someone, says dirt is the problem, could be low battery too, my wireless mouse has a visible red light in it when it has a fresh battery, but becomes invisible when the battery is down a bit.
<<

PhoneMan

Post Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:38 pm

Rai, someone else said dirt was the problem, and yes, I've seen the dots with an LED penlight. The lock is just a reader, as you guessed, and from what I've read, there is a controller for each door that is wired to the main computer. when the computer gets the code, it just tells the controller to either stay locked or unlock the door by providing power to the solenoid in the latch. The link I posted further up really goes into detail on it. here it is:
http://cdn.preterhuman.net/texts/terrorism_and_pyrotechnics/howto/Marlock_System.txt

The hotel I got my key from was a $300 a night hotel, so I bet they keep it in good running shape. (guests wouldn't like a lock that only worked half the time!) And yes, they gave me a key to keep, after I explained I collect them!
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:27 pm

There is another Marlok key for sale on eBay, in case somebody is looking for one. :smile:

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
Previous

Return to Kool Keys