FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Just sorting my key blanks...

<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:11 pm

Just sorting my key blanks...

I haven't been as mobile as usual lately so I've been using the time on the couch to sort through my key blanks. Or at least the ones I've been able to find and unbox so far since my move.

I finished up with most of the auto blanks last night. Here is a pic of the tray I'm currently working on. Mostly just a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.

Not sure why I'm posting this. Just a time killer I guess.
mbi misc key blanks.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

selim

Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist
Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist

Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: Just sorting my key blanks...

very nice MBI, my collection is still in a big coffe can, and a plastic bucket

Just don't have time or the ambition to make a disply for them -
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:14 pm

For now I'm just sorting them by type, looking up the common cross reference numbers and labelling them for future use. Any blanks with large quantities I'm putting in key blank boxes or business card boxes. Any blanks where I only have small quantities I'm putting in ziplock baggies and boxing them together for storage.

I'm not sure how exactly I'm going to organize them for easy accessibility once I set up my shop area. I'd love to put up pegboard for all of them, with backtags showing all the cross reference numbers and a picture of the keyway profile, but that takes up a lot of space. Probably more than I have available for them.
<<

macgng

Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...
Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...

Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:24 pm

dat is a lotta keys!
Nibbler: The poop-eradication is but one aspect of your importance.
<<

edsmiley

Contributor - Research & Development Kingpin
Contributor - Research & Development Kingpin

Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:00 pm

MBI wrote:For now I'm just sorting them by type, looking up the common cross reference numbers and labelling them for future use. Any blanks with large quantities I'm putting in key blank boxes or business card boxes. Any blanks where I only have small quantities I'm putting in ziplock baggies and boxing them together for storage.

I'm not sure how exactly I'm going to organize them for easy accessibility once I set up my shop area. I'd love to put up pegboard for all of them, with backtags showing all the cross reference numbers and a picture of the keyway profile, but that takes up a lot of space. Probably more than I have available for them.

Very nice MBI

I aspire to that level of organization, but hardly ever reach it. Would love to do the pegboard things as well as I have it in the garage, but then I would actually have to do it. I went with the binder method that has worked pretty well so far.

Cheers,
Ed
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:24 pm

You can see the cabinet I use here. Each tray comes out of the cabinet. I've got blanks in the top 3 boxes, and the other 2 are various lock parts and screws I did not have any other place for. All of it came from the hardware store :)
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:15 am

you have some kind of electronic equipment under the key cutter, is this so that it can collect brass dust in it?
I do know a guy who was building a three dimensional CNC machine but he left the cover off the computer and the aluminum chips from stuff he was doing killed the machine. temporarily
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:04 pm

Lol rai, that's my sound system for the basement. I don't cut that many keys, so the brass hasn't been an issue.
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:28 pm

That is a nice key blank collection, MBI. I really should organize my blanks, not that I have nearly as many as you. I primarily keep them for impressioning, always ending up with more blanks. But better having a few extra than to not have one.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

squirrelcop

Post Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:11 pm

MBI wrote:I haven't been as mobile as usual lately so I've been using the time on the couch to sort through my key blanks. Or at least the ones I've been able to find and unbox so far since my move.

I finished up with most of the auto blanks last night. Here is a pic of the tray I'm currently working on. Mostly just a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.

Not sure why I'm posting this. Just a time killer I guess.

My first pinning kit was from e-bay. It is a beautiful two drawer wooden box in .05 increments. I learned later that it was so cheap because the hundreds and hundreds of pins inside were all jumbled together. :bird: I spent many many nights with a handful of pins and a micrometer separating out those pins.
Maintain Right
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:07 pm

Yikes! Yes, a dropped pinning kit is no laughing matter. Been there, done that.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:36 pm

Neat. Thanks for sharing. I know it can be some work & time to get keys sorted....
especially in my case, since I don't have all that much knowledge of em. lol

My homeade rotating key rack viewtopic.php?p=59646#p59646 is actually
being used for more than just an ashtray stand now...lol...but it's VERY slowly filling up. It will
probably be a good while before I have a nice useful assortment.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:35 pm

Yeah, tell me about the dropped pin kit. Bought a Sargent-only pin kit on ebay and it arrived totally mixed up. Thankfully the seller gave me my money back!
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:28 pm

A few more, ready to ship

Just another picture of some blanks, these are a few I'm about to ship. Did some more organizing this evening so I could send out some long-overdue packages.

Spent part of the evening packaging blanks into little baggies to ship to elbowmacaroni, Riyame, Oldfast and piotr.
Realized I'm about out of SC4 and American padlock blanks so I need to run out and grab some this week so I can get these packages mailed.
blanks to ship.JPG

Included in the pic are:
Sargent HA, LL, RL, CA, S, LB
Schlage Everest C000
Schlage Primus Everest D135
Segal SE1
RU46
DE6
WR5
KW1
SC1
M1
Y11
WK2
AR1
CompX D8785

If there is anything here you four guys DON'T want, or any which you need that I missed, drop me a line ASAP.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:48 pm

Nice selection of blanks!
Next

Return to Kool Keys