FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Yale Kirk

<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:57 pm

Yale Kirk

Anyone know what this is or what it goes to? Can't find any info. It appears to be a 7-pin key.

Picture 151.jpg

Picture 152.jpg

Picture 153.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

piotr

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun May 01, 2011 3:40 am

Re: Yale Kirk

Xeo, the key you have is from the Kirk Key Interlock Company based in the USA. Kirk Key make key interlocks and interlocking systems i.e. systems that enforce a sequential series of steps via key control. An example application would be the shutdown/start-up procedure of some potentially dangerous machinery. Using a key interlock system a strict sequence of steps can be ensured, thus minimising danger to machinery and/or operators. A more mundane application of their technology is simple trapped key locking systems that retain the key in a required position (open or closed).

The head of the Kirk Key key is distinctive and forms the design of their logo:

Source: www.kirkkey.com

It appears you have the key from one their SD (Standard Duty) interlocks. Your key is stamped D3 which -- I believe -- is the key interchange code. D3 identifies a specific lock in an interlocking system, i.e. there is most likely a D1...Dn for a particular system. Hypothetically, to activate system D the sequence D1, D2, D3, D4 would have to be effected. The Kirk site doesn't explain interlocking systems very well but some of their competitors do a good job. Refer here and here.

I am uncertain why the key bears the Yale brand, this does not appear to be a feature of the keys nowadays. I suspect that you have an old key and Kirk Key at one point (they have been in existence since 1932 and have key/lock issuance records going back to 1945) they used Yale cylinders to form their interlocking systems.

[Sandman: Another lock manufacturer for the master list. :razz: ]
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Sun May 01, 2011 10:12 am

I'm wondering how I didn't find this website... Very cool thanks piotr.. I really need to find that interlock unit
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

keymaster1053

Post Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:34 pm

Yes, one very practical use of these systems was for instance an industrial size trash compactor, sometimes when jammed, an employee would have to climb in and free up the debris, he would put his key in the specified lock, which would release the compactor on switch key (which is normally key trapped until an employee key goes in the other lock) which said employee then puts in his pocket before he jumps in. Now, not only can nobody crush him, but if someone is looking to see who has the on key, all they have to do is look at the serial number on the key left in the lock and identify the employee from the specific serial number on his key (in case said employee runs to the bathroom and forgets to switch keys back) :)
Jim.
(20:10:59) Blacky: oki
(20:18:08) MBI: Me working for the CIA is about as likely as you working in the Middle East.
(20:19:01) Riyame: lol
(20:19:05) Riyame: he is in dubai
(20:19:26) MBI rescinds his previous comment

Return to Kool Keys