FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

What kind of key is this?

<<

HudsonHawk56

Post Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:20 am

What kind of key is this?

And, how old and what was it's use? It is 2 7/8 inch long, and it's a barrel key.
Any help would be appreciated
20221023_104420.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:46 pm

Re: What kind of key is this?

Looks like something that was hand fitted to a cheaper furniture lock. Perhaps a locking china cabinet or a roll top desk.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

Visitor

Post Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:12 pm

It's hard to tell if someone's ruined it by sanding off all its original patina or if it's a newly cast one, it could be a couple of years old or it could be 60 years old. It does look older than a new one.

The crudeness of the grinding on the end makes me think it's an attempt of someone trying to make it fit a lock without the proper tools or knowledge to do such a job.
It seems its for a warded lock that only has circular wards on the back face of the lock or the 'maker' removed enough material to simply ride over any on the front plate.
It's always a good idea to put a steel rule in pictures for sizing. Looking at the wood grain it's on the smaller side rather than it being anything like a door lock Key.

If not for what's mentioned above (even the cheapest of locks from europe have at least one lever so chinese is a good shout) it could be a key for anything from a lockbox, luggage trunk to some sort of music or gun box or even a restraint even a tourisim padlock. Impossible to know for sure.

Pretty worhless but interesting it's a double flag. Interesting you call it a barrel key. Presumably it's got a hole in the center, i wonder if its round or if it used to be square.
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:36 pm

The most common place I run into these double flag post keys are for roll top desks, as Riyame said.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin

Return to Kool Keys