FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Very Old BiLock Keys

<<

adi_picker

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:12 pm

Very Old BiLock Keys

Gday Guys,

Recieved these in the mail yesterday.

When I first spotted them for sale in a low-res picture, I couldn't make out any of the logos on them, and combined with the fact I had never seen any genuine BiLock keys with a head shaped this way, I assumed they were for a Chinese copy. Now that I have them, I can see they are definately BiLock originals, but not like any I have ever seen before. Does anyone think these are just really early made keys, given what I am assuming is a low serial number on them? Or could they possibly be prototypes or something? Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Either way, I am stoked to have them, Ill have to keep an eye out for a equally early BL Padlock with the old logo to match them to.

adi_picker
<<

mercurial

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:43 am

Re: Very Old BiLock Keys

I remember BiLock keys like those being commonplace, and remember coming across plenty of them in use up until at least 2000/2001.

Those aren't factory serial numbers on the keys, they're clearly hand stamped after the keys left the factory, almost certainly by the locksmith company (John Barnes Locksmiths).

Cool keys to have, nonetheless.

They're made of a very tough alloy - I saw somebody try to get one engraved at a Mr Minit & the engraver couldn't mark them! It looks like a heavy strike was needed to stamp those numbers, too.

...Mark
<<

adi_picker

Familiar Face

Post Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:25 pm

Thanks for the answer Mark,

I had an inkling they might have just been the first incarnation of the keys, the 'U-Profile' marking made me think they might have been trying to advertise the product / promote it somehow. That and I have obviously seen Padlocks marked with this version of the logo, so it makes sense. I was busy going to school during the 90's, so I didnt pay a great deal of attention to the keys around me ;)

AFAIK, these are not a heavy alloy, but rather thick stainless, as they are now. This has to do with the engineering, as when you become a BiLock dealer, you are provided with a special punch and folder. The blanks come bent at about 15deg on each 'wing' then are punched, and then folded with the machine. The reason they are stainless is because it punches a lot easier and cleaner than other metals, and dosent cause as much wear to the cutting faces. This is opposed to alloys and standard Brass, which cuts well but dosent punch nearly as nice.

adi_picker
<<

Kyetror

Post Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:05 am

Thanks for this info!
<<

MHM

Familiar Face

Post Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:48 am

I reckon the clue is in the locksmith's phonenumber bro. According to the page below you guys had that format number between 1971 and 1996 so it could have been any time between those two dates, although my guess would be earlier rather than later.

I've seen a few with the bow shaped like this still in use today, in NZ.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Former_Au ... ling_codes

Return to Kool Keys