FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Sargent restricted keyway

<<

grit1

Familiar Face

Post Tue May 17, 2016 4:03 pm

Sargent restricted keyway

Hey guys! As many of you know institutional locksmithing is my obsession, and few things make me as excited as learning something new about systems I thought I already knew almost everything about. Thanks to a friend of mine who works in a building that shall remain nameless, I have been exposed to the wonders of restricted conventional Sargent keyways! Enter Sargent AC...

Crappy iPhone shot of the keyway straight-on:
keyway.jpg

AC key next to an RN for comparison:
cropped l.jpg

Reverse side:
cropped.jpg

From the extensive, though not exhaustive research I've done thus far these may be the only pictures that exist of this keyway. Once again I am fascinated that Ilco, Jet, JMA et al haven't knocked off this keyway...maybe it's just a matter of it being so unavailable they hadn't come across it.

The thing that strikes me is the height of the main warding - much higher than in other Sargent keyway families.

Hope this provides some enjoyment for you other Sargent nerds!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue May 17, 2016 4:14 pm

Re: Sargent restricted keyway

Aftermarket manufacturers are in business to make money. If I had a really special keyway ( that probably cost me a lot of cash!) I would not buy from anyone but the original manufacturer. Therfore there is no market, equalling no profit in reproducing it aftermarket. As long as these are limited in their use no other maker will bother.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed May 18, 2016 7:28 am

mastersmith wrote:Aftermarket manufacturers are in business to make money. If I had a really special keyway ( that probably cost me a lot of cash!) I would not buy from anyone but the original manufacturer. Therfore there is no market, equalling no profit in reproducing it aftermarket. As long as these are limited in their use no other maker will bother.

Actually, it's more about the patent. Sargent restricted keyways are lettered combinations that include any of the (Beginning) letters in the word "BANK", plus two others that escape my immediate memory.
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Wed May 18, 2016 11:02 am

B, A, N, K, V, G are restricted keyways.
I don't think those are patented, just restricted from distribution.
Signature, XC, and Keso are patented.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

Pick-Fu

Familiar Face

Post Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:53 pm

I have BB, BE, BF, BG, BK, BL, LB, LA and RA keyway keys

I think one of the B keys are a reverse of the OP's keys

Return to Kool Keys