FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Weird Schlage key

<<

Status6

Familiar Face

Post Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:12 pm

Weird Schlage key

Anyone know what type of lock this key is used in?

EF key profile and two small cut outs on the bottom, also not the standard Schlage coining.

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Status6

Familiar Face

Post Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:14 pm

Re: Weird Schlage key

2nd picutre
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

macgng

Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...
Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...

Post Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:20 pm

i was thinking it could be a hotel function key, but the cuts are in the wrong spot.
Nibbler: The poop-eradication is but one aspect of your importance.
<<

Squelchtone

Post Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:43 pm

is it for some old version of construction ball keying, prior to the Protecto Key (PK) Balls, where you turn the key 180, then turn it back to 0, and remove the construction balls from the lock using those under cuts? That's looks like a 70's Schlage logo.

Squelchtone
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:52 pm

I don't know Squelch, it looks like the two odd cuts are between the chambers. This is strictly a guess, but I'm thinking ward cuts. Maybe to allow the key to turn where the operating key can't? Like bypassing a night lock function on a hotel? I don't recall ever seeing this.
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

Squelchtone

Post Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:50 pm

mastersmith wrote:I don't know Squelch, it looks like the two odd cuts are between the chambers. This is strictly a guess, but I'm thinking ward cuts. Maybe to allow the key to turn where the operating key can't? Like bypassing a night lock function on a hotel? I don't recall ever seeing this.

hmmm, you're probably right. Could it possibly be for something like the Kwikset 6 pin control key that allows removal of the knob face/deadbol cylinder assembly?

<<

Status6

Familiar Face

Post Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:36 pm

Cleaned it up further it reads "Prop Univ Of Maine"
so if anyone worked there or serviced their locks may know
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:00 pm

There is another possibility. It could be something as simple as a locksmith made marks like that so he could know at a glance something about that key. We get customers from time to time that have do not dup keys made and for one reason or another as us to make a notch in the bow.
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:01 pm

This was for expansion of master key systems (Back when I had hair). The cylinders were grooved to accept "compression" rings, thet would restrict the operation of keys, unless they were cut in the appropriate positions to bypass the wards. Obsolete now. If you have the matching cylinder, you've got a collectible.
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

Status6

Familiar Face

Post Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:32 pm

magician59 wrote:This was for expansion of master key systems (Back when I had hair). The cylinders were grooved to accept "compression" rings, thet would restrict the operation of keys, unless they were cut in the appropriate positions to bypass the wards. Obsolete now. If you have the matching cylinder, you've got a collectible.

Interesting!

No sadly I only have the key.

Thank you!
<<

pennme

Post Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:25 pm

You will notice that the cuts on the bottom of the key fall in line with being in between the actual pin chambers. Indeed there was a ring that went there. There could be up to 5 rings. I used to have two cylinders for these but am unsure where they are now. In any case, on the inside of the cylinder, there were two cuts the length of the cylinder. The rings fit about 3/4 of the way round the plug, and had a small tab the protruded out. They were handed for either right or left handed installations. These were used in hotels. The guest key did NOT have a cuts on the bottom of the key, and as a result, would only allow the key to turn one direction, and only so far so that they could only operate the latch. If the key had the notches in it, such as an Emergency key, it would allow full rotation, and allow not only the retraction of the latch, but also the deadbolt.
If I find mine, I will post pictures some times.

Return to Kool Keys