FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Smart Opens: Home AND Vehicle Edition

Forum rules
DO NOT POST ACTUAL ARTICLES OR OTHER MATERIALS THAT ARE COPYRIGHTED!
<<

youluckyfox

Familiar Face

Post Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:23 pm

Smart Opens: Home AND Vehicle Edition

Review: Smart Opens - Home and Vehicle Edition

Received a request on what is in the Smart Opens series, here's my review of both editions.

Smart Opens - Home Edition
1. Warning and Disclaimer: Pretty much "don't be bad, this is for informational purposes only"
2. Opening: Self-evident
3. Sliding Glass: Use a suction-cup shower handle to over-lift the door and bypass the lock
4. Track Attack: Use a plumbing snake to flip a dowel rod out of the sliding-glass door track.
5. Garage Doors: Use a coat hanger for an improvised garage door bypass (pulls the emergency override lever/string)
6. Chain Locks: New twist to an old trick - use a Command Strip instead of a thumb tack for the security chain bypass
7. Push Button: use a highlighter and a black-light to determine the numbers used to punch in a combination (then figure out the order later)
8. Deadbolt Locks & Doors: Pretty unique, use of a flexible cutting board cut such that, using articulation, a deadbolt can be opened by going around the door
9. Magnetic Swipe Locks: Use of an Under-The-Door-Tool to open a hotel door with a lever handle
10. Bonus: using various items, Miguel Miranda details the creation of a DIY lockpick-gun (really nothing you couldn't figure out yourself...)

My thoughts:
Honestly, the deadbolt trick, the garage door trick, and the plumbing snake trick were the only things I hadn't seen before, but it was still worth it to see how everything was done and the presentation is very well done. You should know that many of these are model specific (deadbolt tool only works on deadbolts bolts with a T-shaped thumb-turn, sliding door trick only works with older stuff) I should like to see more of this video series. I am thinking about emailing Paladin Press about making more of these!

Smart Opens - Vehicle Edition
1. Warning and Disclaimer: See Home Edition
2. Opening and Introduction: Self Evident
3. Basic Tools: Outline of tools
4. Cuff: Put duct tape around a blood-pressure cuff and make an air wedge
5. Wireless Chime: Intercept the "lock signal" so that a car remains unlocked by using a wireless door chime
6. R/C Bumper: Use a disassembled R/C car to allow it to be placed inside the car and used to hit the unlock switch at a later point
7. Trunk 1: Use a plumbers snake to pull the trunk release through a drain hole in the trunk
8. Trunk 2: Use the deadbolt tool from Home Edition to pull the trunk release
9. Two Men: Use the shower handle from Home Edition to pull the door out and allow another user to pull the latch
10. String Method: Put a string on a door handle and hang it out the door to open it at a later point
11. String Theory: Tie a loop in a string and force it down the length and corner of a door to allow navigation of the loop over a door handle to open the car door
12. Hood: Use a wire to trip the release on a hood (if anyone can do a right up and explain how this works, please do so!)
13. Slim Jim: Self Evident
14. Basic Safety: How to tell if your car has been broken into
15. Bonus: How to make a Slim-Jim from a steel ruler

My thoughts:
Pretty neat but I won't use much of this as a locksmith. The trunk entries are cool and the video series was helpful for prevention of vehicle theft

Let me know if you have any questions! I can post pictures if there are requests for such.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:54 pm

Re: Smart Opens: Home AND Vehicle Edition

Yep, would like to know more about the deadbolt cutting board trick and the wireless chime signal blocker?
Sounds very James Bond like. :smile:
<<

youluckyfox

Familiar Face

Post Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:17 am

Yeah, man; here's some pictures.

:shock: NOTE: I do not want to give the idea that I am even possibly imagining the idea of one day considering the notion of infringing on any type of copyright. My understanding is that posting a visual excerpt for educational purposes falls under fair use policy, but I am not the judge of what is acceptable on the forum - the admins and moderators are. I was going to clear this with a mod, first, but saw that I am not able to use [img] codes for PMs :???: . Please feel free to delete or augment my posts and PM me, and I will be sure not to repeat the behavior. Also, it is my understanding that bypasses are permitted to be reviewed on the public forums. If this is not deemed appropriate for the public forum, feel free to move it to a private forum, etc. (But please let me know if that is done!) That said I love this site, thank you all for the benefit you've been to me.

Being above board here, I recognize that the following are all screenshots from the video taken by myself.

Here is the tool being inserted between the door and jamb, you'll notice there are actual cutting marks on the cutting board (MacGuyver: eat your heart out)

You push the tool in and then bring it down until you make contact with the deadbolt (notice the contour of the tool that allows it to go down as far as possible on the other side of the door before hitting the bolt.) Then you pull the strips on your-end of the tool to articulate it until you feel it hit the deadbolt thumbturn:

:bs: "What the crap? How do you know what is going-on on the other side?" Well, you can tell by how hard it is too pull the strips. If it pulls easily you haven't grabbed onto anything yet: if it is really tough to turn, you're very close. This tool requires practice just like picking a lock. Once you get to the part where the deadbolt starts turning...well as most know once it turns a little, even a butterknife can push that bolt back, but yanking the tool hard and fast can turn the bolt all the way. Again notice that this tool will not open every kind of deadbolt, depending on the shape of the thumbturn (let me know if I need to re-explain that.)

:tension:

With regard to the wireless door-chime, a modern vehicle (Hummer H2) is used to demonstrate that if a wirless door-chime (just the button, not the chiming part) is pressed, the vehicle will deny the signal being sent and ignore the signal from the user pressing the lock button: thus the vehicle remains unlocked. In other words, it's a bit of a denial-of-service attack (I think?) Anyway, let me know if any have other questions.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:58 am

Thanks for sharing. :smile:
<<

VancouverSpecial

Post Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:44 am

Hello youluckyfox,

Great review of the video - thanks :)
Excellent explanation of the deadbolt maneuver - I found it clear and illustrative.

Cheers,
Sean
<<

escher7

Post Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:54 am

For a real cd on vehicle opening $20 will get you the Access Tools opening manual up to 2013-2014:

http://www.clksupplies.com/shop/trainin ... 9cd1f5ad87
<<

youluckyfox

Familiar Face

Post Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:04 am

VancouverSpecial71 wrote:Great review of the video - thanks :)
Excellent explanation of the deadbolt maneuver - I found it clear and illustrative.
Cheers, Sean

Thanks, man. Let me know if you'd like any more information.

escher7 wrote:For a real cd on vehicle opening $20 will get you the Access Tools opening manual up to 2013-2014:

http://www.clksupplies.com/shop/trainin ... 9cd1f5ad87

Thank you, Escher. I saw these two links on CLK Supplies:

http://www.clksupplies.com/shop/access-tools-car-opening-manual-on-cd-p-1860.html

http://www.clksupplies.com/shop/access-tools-opening-instructional-dvd-p-1855.html

Is there an advantage of the $46.62 DVD over the $19.95 CD? I am interested in a resource that helps show me how to change out door and trunk locks, ignitions, how to remove the airbag safely and put it back when changing an ignition, and anything else I haven't thought of. I am somewhat familiar with lock-outs. But so far don't know much with regard to changing out an ignition or other aspects of Automotive Locksmithing. Please let me know!
<<

escher7

Post Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:10 pm

Sorry, don't know what is on the other dvd. The $19.95 disk has nothing on the mechanics of locks. It is strictly a catalogue of vehicles with drawings and pictures of the lock linkages and how to manipulate them to open the door.

Return to Book & CD/DVD Reviews